Casual Readers discussion

The Gates (Samuel Johnson, #1)
This topic is about The Gates
Buddy Reads > The Gates by John Connolly (spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Addy | 379 comments So far its Rick and Addy. Anyone feel free to join us. We will start as soon as Rick receives his book.

I've been intrigued with this author. I've been trying to find Every Dead Thing at used bookstores, but have been unsuccessful. So I figured that id start with The Gates. It looks kinda fun!

Rick Shepard I enjoyed Nocturnes so much, that I picked up a few by Connolly at our recent library sale. I didn't realize how broad his writing was. Mystery, horror, YA, just about everything. Better World Books is saying about a week. Looking forward to this, it looks good.

Addy | 379 comments I'll have to check out Nocturnes. I heard Book of Lost Things is pretty good too.

Rick Shepard I'll have to keep an eye out for that. I've heard of it, but never read it.

message 5: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC I'm tempted to read THE BOOK OF LOST THINGS. I'm just not a YA fan. As a matter of fact, I may even become a hater if I have to abandon many more.

Addy | 379 comments What do u mean? Alot of YA books you've had to abandon? That's too bad. A really good one I've heard is called A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness. I have it but haven't read it yet. I'm not a big fan of YA unless its an author I like.

message 7: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Addy wrote: "What do u mean? Alot of YA books you've had to abandon? That's too bad. A really good one I've heard is called A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness. I have it but haven't read it yet. I'm not a big fan ..."

The thing for me is they all ways sound fantastic, but I'm almost all ways let down by them, so I generally be sure and stay away from them now.

message 8: by Rick (last edited Aug 28, 2013 03:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick Shepard I used to stay away from YA, because I always felt they were written at a lower level for kids. And some are. I have read a couple that I really enjoyed, Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman was the last one. I really like John Connolly though, and can't wait to try this one.

Addy | 379 comments I've been wanting to read Graveyard Story.

message 10: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 379 comments I meant Graveyard Book...lol.

message 11: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 40 comments Chuck wrote: "I'm tempted to read THE BOOK OF LOST THINGS. I'm just not a YA fan. As a matter of fact, I may even become a hater if I have to abandon many more."

I've read The Book of Lost Things, and it didn't even cross my mind that it might be YA. I don't know if it was intended to be a YA book or not, but it doesn't read like one.

message 12: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Courtney wrote: "Chuck wrote: "I'm tempted to read THE BOOK OF LOST THINGS. I'm just not a YA fan. As a matter of fact, I may even become a hater if I have to abandon many more."

I've read The Book of Lost Things,..."

Awesome Courtney, thanks!

message 13: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick Shepard I finally got my copy of The Gates in the mail, so I'll start reading tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to this!

message 14: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 379 comments Cool! I actually saw it at a bookstore the other day. How much you wanna read? Or do you want to read at ur own pace?

message 15: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick Shepard It's up to you. I'm okay with reading at our own pace, but if you'd rather put a little structure in it, I'm good with that too!

message 16: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 379 comments Would 15% at a time be good for you?

message 17: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC When are you all starting this?

message 18: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick Shepard Sure, 15% works great for me.

message 19: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 379 comments We starting tomorrow.

message 20: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 379 comments Alright, 15 it is!

message 21: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Oh, okay, thanks Addy. I think I may try the other one: THE BOOK OF LOST THINGS.

message 22: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 379 comments So I started this and stopped at 15%. I really liked how these neighbors got themselves into a world of hurt because they were bored. After reading that I don't think its appropriate for
kids except for maybe the demon whose been exiled. He seems to be a funny character. Fun so far.

message 23: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick Shepard I forced myself to stop at 15% as well. I agree with you about the kids. I had seen where it was listed as YA, but I'm a bad judge of things like that. I really like this. I like the idea of having deities for so many trivial things, and all I think of when I read about Nurd and his assistant, are characters from The Muppets:)

message 24: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 379 comments I'm pretty much behind on all my reads. Only got to 20%. If you've read more you can always use spoilers if u want. I'm kind of a slow reader.

message 25: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick Shepard Sorry Addy, Dustin caught me on that too. I'll be more careful:X

message 26: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 379 comments I was already at 15% when u posted so you didn't do anything wrong:) I'm just slow and didn't want to keep you if u wanted to move ahead.

message 27: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 379 comments Im at around 26%. I have to say that it was kinda slow going but now that Sam is interacting with the demon it is quite comical and I love it!

message 28: by Rick (last edited Sep 10, 2013 09:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick Shepard I love the demon. I think the story is fun to read, but the sense of humor he has really caps it. (view spoiler) This is quite a stretch from Nocturnes, which is the only other book I've read by Connolly.

message 29: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 379 comments Aww. The part when Nurd meets Samuel tugged at my heartstrings. What a cute pair. Samuel was so right when he talked about the hard world we live in where adults don't listen to children. Sadly, it is very true.

message 30: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 379 comments I stopped at 40%. Starting to get good. I'm definitely enjoying this more than before. I really like the humor.

message 31: by Rick (last edited Sep 12, 2013 02:59AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick Shepard I didn't get a chance to read any yesterday, so I'm still at about 25%. Hoping to play a little catch up tonight.

message 32: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick Shepard I'm enjoying this the more I read. I just finished Chapter 7, and realized something.(view spoiler) Hoping to read a lot more tonight and tomorrow night, since I hope to have more time.

message 33: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 379 comments I'm about 53% done and I really miss Nurd. Can't wait for him to show up again!

message 34: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick Shepard I just went a little over half way myself, and I'm missing Nurd too. I'm starting to notice that the story itself is interesting, but does seem to be geared towards young readers. The humor is really what seems to bring in the general audience. Some of it even seems to be specifically directed at older readers. I think Connolly really does a good job making this book interesting for readers of all ages.

message 35: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 379 comments 60% I loved the part where Maria's family decides to attack the demon horde...lol. Who does that? I'd be running!

message 36: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick Shepard I'm way behind. Have to do some catching up this weekend!

message 37: by GeneralTHC (last edited Sep 20, 2013 10:07PM) (new)

GeneralTHC Rick wrote: "... does seem to be geared towards young readers. "

Yep. I read the first chapter and liked it quite a bit. I thought this is right up my alley. Then, in the second chapter it started feeling a little too YA-ish for me.

message 38: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick Shepard This does have the appeal for young adults, but the humor that John Connolly puts in this, IMO, makes it well worth the read. Besides, I'm really starting to like Samuel Johnson. If I had a son, he is exactly the kind of kid I'd want him to be.

message 39: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick Shepard I'm a little over 185 pages in, and the final stage has started. Hoping to finish this tonight, if not, then definitely tomorrow! Glad to see Nurd again! I do have a question though, about Nurd at page 185. (view spoiler)

message 40: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 379 comments Yeah. I questioned the same thing. I thought it was odd, but they prob can change their size.

message 41: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick Shepard I finished!! I really enjoyed the book. I was surprised how wrapped up I got into the story as it progressed. And the humor...definitely want to read The Infernals. If the characters are half as interesting, and the humor half as good as this, it will be a good read.

message 42: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick Shepard I had to laugh at myself a few times. Every once in a while, I'd find myself questioning something that was going on. For instance on page 283. (view spoiler) But at the same time, I had no problem with the whole premise of a portal to hell and dealing with demons, LOL... That has got to indicate how good a job Connolly does at bringing you into the story.

message 43: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 379 comments Cool! I'm glad u liked it. I still have 30% to go. I'm gonna try and finish tonight.

message 44: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 379 comments I loved the vicar and the verger's battle at the church. There's just something subtle about the humor that cracks me up. Is it because the author is English? I've always thought English humor was hilarious. It sure is proving true here. I need to read more English authors.

message 45: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick Shepard I was actually laughing while I was reading that. The two of them seemed so matter of fact about everything that was going on around them!

message 46: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 379 comments What a delightful read! Finished and wasn't disappointed. I would definitely give the second one a try. Thanks for the company Rick. Glad you enjoyed it too:)

message 47: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick Shepard It was a lot of fun and thank you for the buddy read! If you decide to tackle the next one let me know, I'd be in.

message 48: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 379 comments I will definitely let you know:)

message 49: by Addy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Addy | 379 comments I was thinking of starting Infernals in November if ur down. The third book is being released soon, The Creeps. Looks good as well!

message 50: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick Shepard I'm there! Let me know when you're ready!

« previous 1