Never Too Old for a YA book Club discussion

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
This topic is about The Hunger Games
August 2013 book discussion

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kristin Kydd (kyddsbooksnow) | 52 comments Mod
This is our first virtual book discussion...... What are your thoughts about Suzanne Collins' hit trilogy?

Kaitlin Tipsword (ktipsword) | 2 comments Alright, so I don't think I am the only one on this, but I really loved the first two books, but the last, not so much. The books are well-written, well-imagined, but also fairly predictable in the outcome. I didn't like that at all. It kind of killed the feeling when reading it that I was going on a great adventure.

Kaitlin Tipsword (ktipsword) | 2 comments Me too. It was just bleh at the end. I wasn't a fan of it. Granted, I had just started the Gone series right before Mockingjay came out and I was kind of sidetracked by that.

I agree that the first two books were better than the third.. The third did make me cry though.

Gale or Peeta, and why?

........... I had trouble getting into Gone. (See I am sidetracked already). Sorry I'm late to my own gig here.

message 6: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas Butz | 6 comments I thought the series was disjointed. At first, when I picked up the hunger games I loved it. I read the whole book in a day, then picked up the next one and read that one as quickly as possible. Then I read the third one and felt betrayed. There was no set up for the whole atmosphere of the third book. I was not prepared to read a war novel. That wasn't how the first or second book felt. It was a comment on a society told by one of the members of the oppressed, forced to kill people against her will for a huge audience. But then, all of the sudden, she is now a war leader? There was no preparation, the book felt as though it didn't have a plan and it left a foul taste in my mouth. That being said, the first book would have been one of my favorite stand alone books if she had chosen to wrap it all up "1984" style with big brother winning. Instead she decided to do some hollywood bullcrap with the good guys winning, even introducing an entire army from the outside which felt extremely unbelievable. So, series ruined in my opinion. Sorry if this sounds harsh :/ I was like a child going through this magical roller coaster ride through the first book and I was saying "this is awesome" then the second book I was like "this is cool, but we did this already and it was better then" and then the third book the ride was over and I was like "why did this happen, where was the big finish!?" and that was the taste left in my mouth :/

message 7: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas Butz | 6 comments Sorry, I had to type out my whole deal. Btw, the whole Gale V.S. Petra thing is what helped ruin the third book. That was the biggest conflict in the third book and it ended with a page long epilogue. It made Ginny and Harry's romance look believable. That being said, Gale is cooler then Petra, but Petra is what Katniss needs in her life. Katniss isn't happy not being the badass of the relationship.

..... at first I was thrown by the stylists and parade and interviews, I thought to myself, fighting to the death isn't enough for a reality show or as way to keep the districts inline. What do you think the authors purpose was in making this aspect of the book such an important part of the games? Do you think she is saying something about our culture? What might that be?

Kristin wrote: "I agree that the first two books were better than the third.. The third did make me cry though.

Gale or Peeta, and why?"

message 10: by Nicholas (last edited Aug 28, 2013 03:27PM) (new)

Nicholas Butz | 6 comments Should we move onto the second question or give everybody a chance to debate Gale/Peeta? Sorry, I'm reading Ender as I write this, so I said Petra instead of Peeta.

Nicholas wrote: "I thought the series was disjointed. At first, when I picked up the hunger games I loved it. I read the whole book in a day, then picked up the next one and read that one as quickly as possible. Th..."

I agree that the tone of the third book was totally different than the first two. Katniss as a character seemed uncomfortable with her role in the third book.... It seemed forced and not a natural progression of the first two books.

Nicholas wrote: "Sorry, I had to type out my whole deal. Btw, the whole Gale V.S. Petra thing is what helped ruin the third book. That was the biggest conflict in the third book and it ended with a page long epilog..."

I love the "badass" comment. Gale's role in the third book did not seem congruent with his character in the earlier books.

Lisa wrote: "I have a meeting to go to, but I'll check back in when it's over."

Sounds good..... The great part of this medium is that we can discuss our books at whatever time works best for us. I think the conversations could extend beyond our designated time frame.

Kristin wrote: "Kristin wrote: "I agree that the first two books were better than the third.. The third did make me cry though.

Gale or Peeta, and why?""

move on...........

message 15: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas Butz | 6 comments I think we need to not look at them as a trilogy just because the entire style changes so much from book to book. I don't remember the third book so well because I read it fast and didn't like it, but from what I do remember I thought that Gale was pretty much the same character. I thought that in the beginning where he just wanted to do anything to mess up the system was the same as at the end where he just wanted to mess stuff up. He just is angry at the fact he has to take care of his family and is unable to do so because of the crappy situation the government has put him in. So he felt, to me, the most authentic of all the characters. I can actually see him doing what he actually does. Almost everybody else feels like a puppet, but Gale at least feels like a real person.

Nicholas wrote: "I think we need to not look at them as a trilogy just because the entire style changes so much from book to book. I don't remember the third book so well because I read it fast and didn't like it, ..."

You very well may have a point here.......... (I have not read them in years. ) Bad librarian!

Kristin wrote: "..... at first I was thrown by the stylists and parade and interviews, I thought to myself, fighting to the death isn't enough for a reality show or as way to keep the districts inline. What do you..."

Ok, so let's look at this in light of the first book.

What are your thoughts about Haymitch (let's limit ourselves to the first book)?

What did you think about the Hunger Games movie? Do you plan to watch the other movies as they come out?

Nicholas wrote: "Should we move onto the second question or give everybody a chance to debate Gale/Peeta? Sorry, I'm reading Ender as I write this, so I said Petra instead of Peeta."

Is this the first time you are reading Ender's Game or is this a reread before the movie?

message 21: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas Butz | 6 comments Haha okay! I like that one! Well, in the first book, I thought that the whole thing was a sort of "what would you do" type deal. I have no doubts that I would have done the exact thing that Katniss did, which was to survive by doing whatever was necessary. In my case, my strategy would have been to fall in with the whole "pures" or whatever they were called and then kill them all when they were sleeping. However, in real life I don't think that an alliance like that could exist on a year to year basis. The fact that all would have had to kill eachother eventually would just have been an insurmountable burden. After all, they would have had to think that they could take out the untrained people by themselves, so what did they need the rest of the group for? Anyway, I digress. The point of the book, or what I got out of it, was to show that people in general will do anything not to die, even if it means being unethical.

In light of the first book, I thought that Gale should have been with Katniss. I thought that they were already basically together, providing for eachother's families as well as being eachother's best friends. Peeta on the other hand, is just an outsider who really is just pretty whiny. He doesn't have a purpose in life and basically just wants to die so that Katniss can live on for her family (and he doesn't have anything better to do). Therefore, I thought that Gale and Katniss should be together, while Peeta should have died. I wouldn't have even been mad about it, I didn't think he had any redeeming qualities that I noticed.

Anyway, Kaitlin says her internet is out and she is doing all she can to repair it. I am sorry about that, because it means that you have to listen to me rant on... and on... and on...

Nicholas wrote: "Haha okay! I like that one! Well, in the first book, I thought that the whole thing was a sort of "what would you do" type deal. I have no doubts that I would have done the exact thing that Katniss..."

I am good with ranting! =) I hope others will reply to each of us in the coming weeks.

Tell Kaitlin good luck with her internet. Tell her not to stress; she can reply to your rants at any point. =)

message 23: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas Butz | 6 comments I love all things ender. I'm rereading Ender in Exile right now because I found it on the floor. I will probably reread ender's game before the movie.

Anyway, I saw the hunger games movie. I thought that it did a good job adapting the book to the screen. I didn't really like it that much. It would have been better if I hadn't read the book first, because part of the drama is not knowing what will happen and trying to plot out the most effect tactic in the situation. Knowing what will happen cheapens that. I will watch the other movies, but not in theaters.

I thought Haymitch was an interesting character. Completely burnt out from watching his kids die over and over again, he decides he is helpless against the system. When Katniss and Peeta come in which actual desire to fight and live, he does everything he can to help... Katniss. Which I understand why he does because only one person can win... but still I though it was kind of a dick move. Anyway, I thought he was an amusing character and certainly a good addition to the book. Perhaps a little cliche, but I was okay with that because he was entertaining enough to make up for it.

Nicholas wrote: "I love all things ender. I'm rereading Ender in Exile right now because I found it on the floor. I will probably reread ender's game before the movie.

Anyway, I saw the hunger games movie. I thou..."

I never got past Ender's Game... but I am looking forward to the movie. My youngest son got stuck on Speaker for the Dead and did not finish it. Maybe the movie will get him started on the series again.

I liked the Hunger Games Movie and thought they did a fairly good job sticking to the plot. As in all movies, you just don't get the same amount of character development (even with the thinly developed cliche characters).

I'm gonna have to stop for tonight but thanks a bunch for participating. Please feel free to throw your own questions out there.... I will get back to this later in the week.

message 25: by Shelley (new)

Shelley Burress | 1 comments As a teacher, I love YA books. I find them more believable than much so-called adult fiction. I very much enjoyed both "The Hunger Games" book and movie. I thought they did a good job translating the novel onto film. I can't say that with very many book-to-movie efforts.

I believe that I will watch the future movies as they come out. I hope they give the stylists a larger role, as they were quite important in the books, but somewhat minimal in the movie.

Shelley wrote: "As a teacher, I love YA books. I find them more believable than much so-called adult fiction. I very much enjoyed both "The Hunger Games" book and movie. I thought they did a good job translating t..."

Thanks Shelley for Joining our group! The movie did downplay the role of the stylists. I think the author was trying to make some real social commentary with this aspect of her book and some most of that commentary, in my opinion, is lost in the movie.