Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

AUTHORS' CORNER > Books for remedial readers

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Carey (lorrainecarey) | 36 comments Has anyone designed a book that meets the needs of the struggling or remedial reader?

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) I'm not sure exactly what you mean.

There are certainly lots of books for "reluctant readers" which you'll find if you search that idiom. They're generally written with somewhat simpler, more engaging plots and more straightforward characterizations.

And of course there's all the Early Reader series, like the ones that include Frog and Toad Are Friends, Nate The Great, and Mr. Putter And Tabby Bake The Cake.

I suspect listings for ESL (English as a second language) use might be helpful, too.

Or are you looking for something different?

message 3: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Carey (lorrainecarey) | 36 comments Hi, Chery,
I was thinking of books for ones desinged for dyslexia, books with low readability ,high interest for motivating struggling readers , or any books that appeal to middle graders with mature themes, but have that easy readability component. I have worked with so many middle school students who are forced to read the lower leverl texts and that are so immature to them.

message 4: by M.G. (new)

M.G. King (mgking) | 728 comments Lorraine wrote: "Hi, Chery,
I was thinking of books for ones desinged for dyslexia, books with low readability ,high interest for motivating struggling readers , or any books that appeal to middle graders with ma..."

Lorraine, here's several lists by the American Library Association -- some of these are considered YA, but some might hit your readers just right. http://www.ala.org/yalsa/booklists/qu...

message 5: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Carey (lorrainecarey) | 36 comments Thanks so much, Chery!
I will surely check them out!
Lorraine :)