The Page Turners discussion

The Unseen 2 (The Unseen, #3-4)
This topic is about The Unseen 2
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > [Completed] The Unseen 2 by Richie Tankersly Cusick --- Start Date: 9.1.13

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Olivia (last edited Aug 31, 2013 07:19PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Olivia McCloskey (brewingupbooks) | 2470 comments Mod
This thread is solely for the discussion of The Unseen 2 by Richie Tankersley Cusick.

description
Too many deaths, too many terrifying visions and sleepless nights have taken their toll on Lucy Dennison. She wonders if she can trust anyone or anything anymore - even her own mind. Lucy knows there must be something, somewhere that can tell her why she was chosen to receive the terrible visions, why she feels the sinister presence all around her. As Lucy searches desperately for answers, she knows time is running out. Too many people have disappeared - or worse - and the constant feeling of being surrounded by something truly evil grows stronger each night. Can Lucy defeat the evil in time?

description
Sept 1. - ch. 1-5
Sept. 2 - ch. 6-10
Sept. 3 - ch. 11-17
Sept. 4 - ch. 18-23
Sept. 5 - ch. 24-29
---End of Book 3---
Sept 6. - ch. 1-5
Sept. 7 - ch. 6-11
Sept. 8 - ch. 12-15
Sept. 9 - ch. 16-22
Sept. 10 - ch. 23-27
Sept. 11 - ch. 28-33
Sept. 12 - ch. 34-39
Sept. 13 - ch. 40-end

description
Olivia
Jessie
Tracy
Rachel
Gracie
Penny
Arthur
Robin
Walter
Avery
Barbara
Karin
Maggie
Leo
Arianna

Walter wrote: "I'll read it with you guys. Just to confirm that I have the correct copy, is it the Book 3 & Book 4 combined into one book?"
That is correct.

Karin wrote: "I'll sign up. I hope this is the only thing I have to do. If not, could someone let me know what else I would have to do?"
Everything looks great; there's nothing else you need to do to sign up for a Buddy Read.

Jessie | 239 comments Just a quick reminder for everyone, we're going to begin reading today! Also, remember to include your current page number at the beginning of any discussion post that relates to the book. Let's get a discussion going...

Jessie | 239 comments Page 213.

When I finished the first book, I was utterly shell-shocked by the ending and was waiting for Byron to come back from the dead somehow. In that respect, I'm grateful that this book picks up immediately where the first one left off. However, I feel like the author should have let a bit of time elapse between the end of the first book and the beginning of the second book. That would have given Lucy a bit of time to adjust to Byron's death before Jared pops up out of nowhere.

Matt. Hmm... I agree with Gracie's prediction that he is Lucy's stalker in disguise. My main reason for believing this, why did he not pull away from Lucy's hug? Doesn't that go against his vows as a priest in some way? The two also seem to interact quite frequently, and Matt is more than willing to get Lucy out of trouble, even if it means breaking one of the Ten Commandments. That was a bit strange. Also, I'm starting to wonder what he was doing in the old church. When he passed Lucy's hiding spot, it's almost as if he sensed that she was there, but chose to ignore her and move on.

I'm really curious about Jared. He just pops up out of the middle of nowhere, claiming to be Byron's brother. I, like Lucy, was a bit tentative that this was true. Their facial features are alarmingly similar, but Byron never mentioned that he had a brother, just a sister. And then when he collapses because of his bite wound, I started to believe him and sympathize with him. While he will not be replacing Jem as my book boyfriend, he definitely comes close.

Lucy's stalker creeps me out every time he shows up. He keeps mentioning a transformation that Lucy's going through. Additionally, he says that Lucy's become dependent on him. What does everyone think that means?

Jessie | 239 comments Page 89 (In Book 4. This is going to get confusing.)

Like Leo, I was astonished when a complete stranger walked through the door, claiming to be Jared. My initial reaction was that this was the real Jared. After all, the Jared in the cellar of the church has a bit of a strange palate and only comes across as slightly creepy, particularly when he shuts off the electricity at the bookstore and leans against the door, preventing Lucy from leaving the room. Lucy, on the other hand, seemed to think otherwise, right from the start. I found this a bit baffling. She has no evidence whatsoever that the Jared she nursed back to health is actually Byron's brother, yet she holds so dearly to that belief. I don't think this portion of the book was very well thought-out in advance.

I'm very curious as to what Mrs. Dempsey (is that her name?) was referring to when she wrote "Danger" on the chalkboard. I believe she was referring to one of the Jareds, but I'm not sure which one. My best guess would be the one in the cellar of the Church, but I'm not positive.

Page 107 of Book 4

I'm enjoying this book so far, just as I enjoyed reading the first book. I also experienced a bit of confusion when starting the book because I had forgotten what happened in the first book, but it eventually all came back to me.

And now onto the two Jareds. I have to disagree with Jessie's prediction; I think the Jared in the church cellar is the true Jared, whereas Nicholas is the imposter. He seems to be the less suspicious of the two. Although both of them could be impostors. Now that's a concept that I hadn't applied much thought to...

At this point in the book, I'm waiting for the climax, some dramatic plot event that leaves me feeling completely stunned. I feel like the whole book has been leading up to some such point, but it's taking its good old time getting here. That would have to be my one complaint so far. The book could easily have been much shorter if the author just cut to the point, instead of focusing on extraneous details.

Jessie | 239 comments Page 180

I agree with pretty much everyone else has said so far. I do feel like the story's starting to drag a bit, making it increasingly more challenging to plow through the 50 pages per day. I'm also becoming very skeptical of this new Jared, or Nicholas as he prefers to be called. He really gives me the creeps.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.