The Liberal Politics & Current Events Book Club discussion

oppression / discrimination > Transgender Woman Dies After Beating in Front of NYPD Precinct

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Alicja (new)

Alicja (darkwingduckie7) | 228 comments From the article: "Nettles’ alleged assailant, Paris Wilson, was booked on a misdemeanor assault charge and freed on $2,000 bail."

WTF? They better update the charges! I am so angry right now at such pointless violence... And the police are no better!

message 3: by Naomi V (new)

Naomi V (naomi_v) | 432 comments i don't know where to find the statistics on this. is there more violence against transgender people lately or are we just more informed about it?

It seems that as gay rights are becoming more accepted that the transgendered are now targets, but i don't have any stats to back that up.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Naomi wrote: "i don't know where to find the statistics on this. is there more violence against transgender people lately or are we just more informed about it?

It seems that as gay rights are becoming more ..."

From what I've read, there actually has been a spike in anti-LBGTQ hate crimes in NYC in the past year.

message 5: by Naomi V (new)

Naomi V (naomi_v) | 432 comments thanks for the response, Donegal. So it is a backlash. horrible.