Horror Aficionados discussion

Getting to Know You > Guilty Pleasures

Comments Showing 1-50 of 135 (135 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany We all know that there are a lot of societal stigmas against the horror genre. I'm sure most of us have felt misunderstood at times, and that's why this is such a great group have around! In this group, loving horror is not only acceptable...it is mandatory! So, my question is, what is something you love that is embarrassing to admit to your fellow horror-lovers?

My guilty pleasure: I can't wait for tonight's mid-season finale of Pretty Little Liars, and I can't wait for the third Bridget Jones novel to come out!

Olivia "So many books--so little time."" | 106 comments I enjoy Jackie Collins books--they're very entertaining.

message 3: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) I've read the entire Shopaholic series.

message 4: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Holly wrote: "I've read the entire Shopaholic series."

I've read them too!

message 5: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments I'm a nonfiction geek. I love nonfiction books (about science, the environment, dead bodies, war, Animals, and on and on).

P.S. at the current moment I'm also addicted to Pinterest and pinning most stuff related to Benedict Cumberbatch.

message 6: by Victor (last edited Aug 27, 2013 06:08PM) (new)

Victor (ace-geek) I would have to say the Sherlock and Avengers fandoms. And Tumblr. And maybe Marble Hornets but I'm not so guilty about that.

message 7: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany The BBC show Sherlock? If so, I'm right with you there! It's a fantastic show!

message 8: by Victor (new)

Victor I love Pretty Little Liars, Twilight, and YA contemporary romance.

message 9: by Victor (new)

Victor (ace-geek) Tiffany wrote: "The BBC show Sherlock? If so, I'm right with you there! It's a fantastic show!"

Yes. I'm in that group patiently waiting for the new season.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

My guilty pleasure is reading romances. Its nice to take a break from life and just read something with a happy ending for a change.

I'm also a big Star Wars geek. And Lord of the Rings. And I can't wait to see the next Hobbit movie. Dragons!!!!

message 11: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments Patiently awaiting? LOL ~ i wish it was here already. Oh I'm so in love with SH on BBC. Such a great show. I'm also a Star Trek nerd. I love the original series.

message 12: by Shari-amor (new)

Shari-amor | 362 comments I like pixar movies (and no I don't have any kids)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I always cry at Pixar movies. Really. Its embarrassing. Up? I cried from beginning to end. No kidding. Great movie. At least with Finding Nemo I'm laughing and crying. And, no, I don't have kids either.

message 14: by Shari-amor (new)

Shari-amor | 362 comments I loved Up :-D
I just seen it for the first time last week. That movie was amazing. I cried as well. Pixar is very good at messing with my emotions. I hate them for that. They ruined my tough big sister reputation.

message 15: by Squire (last edited Aug 28, 2013 04:41AM) (new)

Squire (srboone) | 814 comments Grease 2 is probably my biggest guilty pleasure. I have it on VHS, LaserDisc, DVD, & Blu Ray. The music is so putrid and the dialog so inane that I can't get enough of it! The opening "Back to School" number is really good and doesn't belong in the movie, but fortunately, the movie goes quickly down hill after that and stays there. It also has a young Michelle Pfeiffer in tight black jeans rubbling her self against a step ladder like a cat in heat (but since she has zero chemistry with co-star Maxwell Caufield, it comes off as just trying to scratch an itch) as she sings. Offkey!

On top of thet, it has Adrian Zmed in it! I think that name translates as "Bad Movie."

What's not to love? G2 is my all time favorite bad movie.

message 16: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) Traci L. wrote: "I always cry at Pixar movies. Really. Its embarrassing. Up? I cried from beginning to end. No kidding. Great movie. At least with Finding Nemo I'm laughing and crying. And, no, I don't have kids ei..."

Yeah, my daughter and I both got weepy during our first viewing of "Brave"

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Squire wrote: "Grease 2 is probably my biggest guilty pleasure. I have it on VHS, LaserDisc, DVD, & Blu Ray. The music is so putrid and the dialog so inane that I can't get enough of it! The opening "Back to Scho..."

I am now singing Back to School in my head... thank you very much... Lol. What about the bizarre song in the bomb shelter? Bad movie. Bad, bad movie. :)

message 18: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Traci L. wrote: "Squire wrote: "Grease 2 is probably my biggest guilty pleasure. I have it on VHS, LaserDisc, DVD, & Blu Ray. The music is so putrid and the dialog so inane that I can't get enough of it! The openin..."

Love that movie! Haven't seen it in 20+ years but now it's on my list.

message 19: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 135 comments I love Grease 2!

message 20: by Teresa (new)

Teresa B. | 883 comments umm..i watch reality t.v my latest one is amish mafia..lol.. I also love super heroes and watch the avengers cartoons..lol

message 21: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Lol What is Amish Mafia about???

message 22: by Teresa (new)

Teresa B. | 883 comments omg..k.. in pensylvania ..no going to outsiders..so have a certain group that take 10percent of all profits from the businesses and take care of any problems including violence.. love it..so bad though..lol

message 23: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Wow...that's really unexpected lol I can see how that would be really interesting to watch.

message 24: by Marc-Antoine (new)

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments I wanna be a cooo-ooo-oool rider!

message 25: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 135 comments If He's Cool enough...he can burn me thru and thru....

message 26: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Marc-Antoine wrote: "I wanna be a cooo-ooo-oool rider!"

That's my primary memory of that movie.

message 27: by Marc-Antoine (new)

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments Here's another guilty pleasure, I like to drink coolers and other fruity concoctions. Such as piña coladas, bikini martini's and the like!

message 28: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3519 comments Having a duvet day, staying in my jammies all day parked on the couch, stuffing my face and watching movies.
Haven't done that in a long time.

message 29: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3519 comments Tiffany wrote: "We all know that there are a lot of societal stigmas against the horror genre. I'm sure most of us have felt misunderstood at times, and that's why this is such a great group have around! In this g..."

When is it supposed to be coming out?

message 30: by William (new)

William Stacey (williamstacey) I don't know if I should be embarrassed nor not, but I do love musicals: Evita, Moulin Rouge, Phantom of the Opera (even the sequel).

I used to be into So You Think You Can Dance, but not so much anymore.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I love musicals! Do you watch the old stuff too? The Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers movies are some of my favorites. I guess that's another guilty pleasure but I'm not embarrassed by it at all. I love old black and white movies. Even though I was born in the 70's. I hate it when people tell me they haven't seen (any old movie) because they weren't born yet. Like I was? Dang I must look good for my age. Lol.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I never stopped listening to Wham!, my favorite group in junior high. I also watched the entire series of The Secret Life of the American Teenager on Netflix recently. I kinda think MmmBop is a good song.

message 33: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany @Kate - Book 3 comes out in October I believe. It's called Mad About the Boy

@William - I LOVE MUSICALS!!!

So, I have another guilty pleasure! I'm pretty sure I spend more money on makeup from Sephora than I do anything else...

message 34: by ZoeyBB (new)

ZoeyBB (sjnovak3) | 95 comments Star Trek, Harry Potter, Marvel Comics movies, Die Hard, basically any super nerdy movie or anything with nonstop action. I basically have the movie tastes of a 16 year old boy. My husband and I never have to fight over the remote though!

message 35: by Eileen (new)

Eileen My quilty pleasure is watching Naked and Afraid on the Discovery channel. Has anybody else seen the show?

message 36: by ZoeyBB (new)

ZoeyBB (sjnovak3) | 95 comments Ha- I had to google that to find out what it's about-- Note to self: Don't google "Naked and Afraid" on a work computer.

message 37: by Shari-amor (new)

Shari-amor | 362 comments Eileen wrote: "My quilty pleasure is watching Naked and Afraid on the Discovery channel. Has anybody else seen the show?"

Heard of it but never seen it

message 38: by Shari-amor (new)

Shari-amor | 362 comments SNB wrote: "Ha- I had to google that to find out what it's about-- Note to self: Don't google "Naked and Afraid" on a work computer."

*snickers* :-p

message 39: by Teresa (new)

Teresa B. | 883 comments SNB wrote: "Star Trek, Harry Potter, Marvel Comics movies, Die Hard, basically any super nerdy movie or anything with nonstop action. I basically have the movie tastes of a 16 year old boy. My husband and I ne..."

SNB me too!!! I'm going to comic con in nyc too! lol

message 40: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 135 comments SNB wrote: "Star Trek, Harry Potter, Marvel Comics movies, Die Hard, basically any super nerdy movie or anything with nonstop action. I basically have the movie tastes of a 16 year old boy. My husband and I ne..."

Definitely!

message 41: by ZoeyBB (last edited Aug 30, 2013 08:21AM) (new)

ZoeyBB (sjnovak3) | 95 comments Teresa wrote: "SNB me too!!! I'm going to comic con in nyc too! lol "

I AM SO JEALOUS. I have wanted to go to Comic con for EVER!!

message 42: by William (new)

William Stacey (williamstacey) Traci L. wrote: "I love musicals! Do you watch the old stuff too? The Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers movies are some of my favorites. I guess that's another guilty pleasure but I'm not embarrassed by it at all. I l..."

Traci,
no, I'm not into the old stuff, but I did go through a phase a few years back where I watched the Sound of Music like three times in three days.

Sad? Yes. Macho? Not so much.

But it makes me happy.

message 43: by Teresa (new)

Teresa B. | 883 comments SNB wrote: "Teresa wrote: "SNB me too!!! I'm going to comic con in nyc too! lol "

I AM SO JEALOUS. I have wanted to go to Comic con for EVER!!"

SNB this is my second year..I had such a good time last year.

message 44: by Marc-Antoine (new)

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments The hills are alive....

Makes me happy too, William. I tend to sing the do re mi song spontaneously all the time! My kids love it, coworkers...not so much!

message 45: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany I grew up doing musical theater! Actually, I played Gretel in a local production of the Sound of Music when I was in the second grade. It was a great experience.

message 46: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
You people scare me.

message 47: by Teresa (new)

Teresa B. | 883 comments which jon.. reality t.v and super heroes or musicals..lol

message 48: by Eileen (new)

Eileen SNB wrote: "Ha- I had to google that to find out what it's about-- Note to self: Don't google "Naked and Afraid" on a work computer."

LOL, sorry about that.

message 49: by Jason (new)

Jason Parent | 741 comments My guilty pleasures are exceptional cheese and the cheese that makes fun of it with me, like MST3K.

That, and watching people texting walk into things.

message 50: by Shari-amor (new)

Shari-amor | 362 comments Jason wrote: "That, and watching people texting walk into things..."

Seeing things like that makes my heart lighter and laugh and laugh and laugh

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Mad About the Boy (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jackie Collins (other topics)