The Broken Bridge The Broken Bridge discussion

Comparison Categories

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Fitzgerald Teacher Use this space to organize and post your information from your Literature Circle Meeting.
What similarities and differences have you identified between NYC teenagers and Ginny, a Welsh-Haitian teenager, living in Wales?
Each group member should post a category and then, in a seperate post, you can respond with your ideas about what these similarities and differences mean.

Natalie Family Responsibility

at this point of the story her mother is dead and now her father has to take care of her and make sure she's okay and that she has everything she needs.

message 3: by Vouldechy (new) - added it

Vouldechy Batista Family Life

Right now Ginny does not have a mother and her father is raising her. It's different than other family in her community

message 4: by Samantha (last edited May 21, 2009 08:13AM) (new) - added it

Samantha Santos Teen Relationships:

At school the other children teased Ginny just because of her skin color. They would say "Eney, meeney, miney, Mo', Catch a n***** by his toe," and they'd all look at ginny and laugh. From that point on they all called Ginny, Eney Meeney.

message 5: by Samantha (new) - added it

Samantha Santos I think the father is hiding alot from Ginny and he thinks telling her the truth isn't the best thing to do right now.

message 6: by Vouldechy (new) - added it

Vouldechy Batista Samantha wrote: "Teen Relationships:

At school the other children teased Ginny just because of her skin color. They would say "Eney, meeney, miney, Mo', Catch a n***** by his toe," and they'd all look at ginny and..."

So your saying that people judge her because she's dark skin and the other kids are white

Natalie Vouldechy wrote: "Family Life

Right now Ginny does not have a mother and her father is raising her. It's different than other family in her community"

why doesn't her grandmother raise her? i think that its very hard for her father to take care of her because usually mothers take care of there daughters

message 8: by Vouldechy (new) - added it

Vouldechy Batista Natalie wrote: "Vouldechy wrote: "Family Life

Right now Ginny does not have a mother and her father is raising her. It's different than other family in her community"

why doesn't her grandmother raise her? i thi..."

There's no grandmother in the book

Natalie Samantha wrote: "Teen Relationships:

At school the other children teased Ginny just because of her skin color. They would say "Eney, meeney, miney, Mo', Catch a n***** by his toe," and they'd all look at ginny and..."

i think that this relates to me because i was teased because i was very mannered and very quiet and that made me feel like i didn't belong there.

message 10: by Vouldechy (new) - added it

Vouldechy Batista Natalie wrote: "Family Responsibility

at this point of the story her mother is dead and now her father has to take care of her and make sure she's okay and that she has everything she needs."

OH so your saying that the dad has responsibility for his child.

Fitzgerald Teacher Vouldechy wrote: "Samantha wrote: "Teen Relationships:

At school the other children teased Ginny just because of her skin color. They would say "Eney, meeney, miney, Mo', Catch a n***** by his toe," and they'd all ..."

Good clarifying question. Who is she and what community does she live in? How does this affect her? How does she deal with the name calling?

Fitzgerald Teacher How did the students around you behave when you were getting teased? Do you think it is worse to be a person who teases or a person who watches someone get teased without saying anything?

Fitzgerald Teacher Samantha wrote: "I think the father is hiding alot from Ginny and he thinks telling her the truth isn't the best thing to do right now."

That is an interesting idea - that parents can't/aren't always honest with kids for a positive reason? What do you speculate (wonder why?) the reason is in this case?