Rated YA-MA discussion

Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)
This topic is about Throne of Glass
Fantasy > Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (Group Read May 2015)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (last edited May 01, 2015 02:34PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

message 2: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments I thought we had a topic for this series before but I couldn't find it. If someone sees this as a duplicate, please link me the original topic so I can delete one of them.

So I just finished book 2, which was SO much better than the first book. I was completely surprised at how much I liked it.

I was not a fan of (view spoiler) but I liked some of the other twists. Did it explain in the prequels (that I didn't read) that Celaena (view spoiler)

Chaol = even better. He's becoming a more dynamic version of Amon. I feel like I'm cheating on Amon with Chaol, but he really became a strong character in this book.

message 3: by Jenny, puppets' bane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments I thought we had one too. Hrm. Maybe because we talked about it in the Cinda Chima topic?

Wasn't the second one so much better? I was also surprised, and I liked the first one in spite of all of the things wrong with it. I saw the (view spoiler) coming since book one, so I expected it but I'm not sure what it's going to do to the story now that it's been revealed. The prequels only tell stories that happen to her before she gets sent to the salt mines. I haven't read those in-between scenes yet, though, because I don't like having to go to 13 different places to read it, so I don't know if they get into that at all or not. I figured they were just character-relationship-building-conversations between her and Nehemia / her and Chaol.

I'm sort of happy/irritated that it looks like this will be a six book series rather than a trilogy. I don't want it to get drawn out and become more like book one. I did feel though that one more book would not be enough to resolve the whole King problem AND the Arobynn problem from the novellas, an issue that she started actually getting into with book two. I still really wish that had been further delved into in the first book rather than mostly ignored and pushed aside. But that's one of the many things that bothered me about book one and was fixed for me in book two.

message 4: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments I think I would have preferred a trilogy, although I agree that the king problem would be rushed if there was only one more book. Four might have been feasible though.

message 5: by Jenny, puppets' bane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments Yeah. Six kinda makes me nervous.

Silvia Meadows (smeadows1984) I loved book 1. Now, I'm even more excited to start reading book 2. I really think Celaena kicks butt. She's such a bad ass. Can't wait to feel the way you guys do with the story getting better.

Lauren (originally_elle) | 32 comments Im waiting for my copy of Crown of Midnight from the library. Has anyone read it yet? Is it as good as Throne of Glass?

message 8: by Jenny, puppets' bane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments ℒady ℒauren wrote: "Im waiting for my copy of Crown of Midnight from the library. Has anyone read it yet? Is it as good as Throne of Glass?"

Crown of Midnight is much, much better than Throne of Glass. I enjoyed Throne of Glass, but I also had a lot of technical/plot/writing issues with it. Crown of Midnight is a much more skillfully crafted story. Plus, Chaol.

Lauren (originally_elle) | 32 comments Jenny wrote: "ℒady ℒauren wrote: "Im waiting for my copy of Crown of Midnight from the library. Has anyone read it yet? Is it as good as Throne of Glass?"

Crown of Midnight is much, much better than Throne of ..."

YES!!! I am a fan of Chaol!

message 10: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (last edited Sep 23, 2013 10:46PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments I was starting to think that I was going crazy for still liking Chaol. Apparently, a bunch of people have jumped to the Dorian ship after book 2. I don't get it.

Boring politician or brave, protective guy? It should really be no contest.

message 11: by Jenny, puppets' bane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments I would like to examine those people's taste critically and decide whether they have any business possessing opinions to begin with.

Hillary (eledri) | 759 comments Come on! Dorian grew on me a little more in book 2. In no way am I rooting for him, but I can't help feel for the poor guy. He's got it bad.

<3 Chaol

Lauren (originally_elle) | 32 comments I really liked Celaena & Dorian's relationship in the first book but I never thought things would last. It just seemed like they were using each other. Ive always been Team Chaol. I really think they will end up together!

message 14: by Silvia (last edited Sep 24, 2013 02:48PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Silvia Meadows (smeadows1984) I am in LOVE with Chaol. Just like you guys, but we really don't know too much about Dorian yet. I think when his story comes out, about his past, and future with his magical powers, I think we might all change our mind.... what do you think? I'm still rooting for Chaol and Celaena though. They can work this out. They have to.

Lauren (originally_elle) | 32 comments Silvia wrote: "I am in LOVE with Chaol. Just like you guys, but we really don't know too much about Dorian yet. I think when his story comes out, about his past, and future with his magical powers, I think we mig..."

I haven't read Crown of Midnight yet so I don't know if I agree, lol BUT like I said, I did like Celaena and Dorian together, I just REALLY liked Chaol in the 1st book!

Robin (Bridge Four) (fionafixit) Hillary wrote: "Come on! Dorian grew on me a little more in book 2. In no way am I rooting for him, but I can't help feel for the poor guy. He's got it bad.

<3 Chaol"

I'm with you Hillary. I grew to like Dorian more but Chaol stole my heart he is perfect for Celaena.

I even was sorta hoping for (do not click on spoiler if you have not completed the Crown of Midnight...you were warned) (view spoiler)

Lauren (originally_elle) | 32 comments Got my copy of Crown of Midnight! im excited cause now I can talk about it with you ladies without being confused, lol!

Robin (Bridge Four) (fionafixit) ℒady ℒauren wrote: "Got my copy of Crown of Midnight! im excited cause now I can talk about it with you ladies without being confused, lol!"

Nice!!! I liked the first book but the second was so much stronger and then at the 50% mark I couldn't put it down for anything.

message 19: by Jenny, puppets' bane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments I was kinda hoping for the same thing Robin.

Bailey (baileyharmon) | 111 comments I liked Dorian from the beginning. Cute princes always seem to get an automatic boost from me, probably the left over childhood memories of my first love, Prince Eric in the Little Mermaid. Dorian is just so smooth and charming...I always fall for that sort of thing. (Bring me a bag full of candy with a puppy and I will love you forever)
But I ALWAYS cheered for Chaol. He's just so damn...CHAOL.

message 21: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments I love it : He's just so damn...CHAOL.

Lauren (originally_elle) | 32 comments I loved Crown of Midnight!!! Its going to be pure torture waiting for the next installment!!!

But I have to say, I KNEW the truth about Celaena halfway through Throne of Glass...

CANNOT wait for the next book!

Silvia Meadows (smeadows1984) Who are you rooting for after reading Crown of Midnight? Dorian or Chaol????

message 24: by Jenny, puppets' bane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments Ridiculous question!

Lauren (originally_elle) | 32 comments Im still rooting for Chaol..... but Dorian, well he has some serious potential.
IM JUST SO TORN BETWEEN THE TWO!

Bailey (baileyharmon) | 111 comments ℒady ℒauren wrote: "I loved Crown of Midnight!!! Its going to be pure torture waiting for the next installment!!!

But I have to say, I KNEW the truth about Celaena halfway through Throne of Glass...

CANNOT wait for ..."

I did too. I kept thinking...Yeah, that's gonna come out soon. The only thing that surprised me was that Celaena knew about it. I figured it was a secret to her too.

Robin (Bridge Four) (fionafixit) I really hope they aren't all completely separated in the next book. I really want to see the fall out now that Choal knows

I love the scenes with Choal and Celaena together.

Lauren (originally_elle) | 32 comments Robin wrote: "I really hope they aren't all completely separated in the next book. I really want to see the fall out now that Choal knows

I love the scenes with Choal and Celaena together."

Yes Celaena & Chaol are great together, I smiled to myself every time they were on page together. Their reunion is going to be something to see!

Bailey (baileyharmon) | 111 comments Robin wrote: "I really hope they aren't all completely separated in the next book. I really want to see the fall out now that Choal knows

Right? The first thing I thought was how the first half of the next book might have them literally worlds apart. And that is not okay with me.

Robin (Bridge Four) (fionafixit) Bailey wrote: "Robin wrote: "I really hope they aren't all completely separated in the next book. I really want to see the fall out now that Choal knows

Rig..."

What about if it is only the first third? JK I don't mind if they are apart some of the book. Celaena has some stuff to work out. But I definitely want them together in it.

I know the romance isn't the complete story but it is part of the story I'm really interested in.

I'm with Stacia Choal is my Amon reincarnate and this time he has a chance at a true HEA at least I hope he does...../crosses fingers and prays the the writing gods.

message 31: by Jenny, puppets' bane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments Chaol is like Amon, but Dorian is nowhere near as awesome as Han.

Robin (Bridge Four) (fionafixit) so true Jenny!

Lauren (originally_elle) | 32 comments Amon??? Han??? Come on ladies, fill me in! Lol!

message 34: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (last edited Oct 12, 2013 01:15PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments Jenny wrote: "Chaol is like Amon, but Dorian is nowhere near as awesome as Han."

This. Dorian will never live up to Han. I was a huge Amon fan, and having Chaol around is like getting to extend my feelings for Amon, except Chaol is more interactive, which is great.

Amon and Han are from the Seven Realms series (which is one of my favorites) The Demon King (Seven Realms, #1) by Cinda Williams Chima

Robin (Bridge Four) (fionafixit) Stacia (now censored by Goodreads) wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Chaol is like Amon, but Dorian is nowhere near as awesome as Han."

This. Dorian will never live up to Han. I was a huge Amon fan, and having Chaol around is like getting to extend my..."

It is a very good fantasy series Lady Lauren and it has been completed if you need a little fantasy fix.

I think I gave the 3rd and 4th books 5 stars

message 36: by Ash Wednesday (last edited Nov 04, 2013 03:02PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ash Wednesday (ashwednesdaylee) | 414 comments Dagnabit! Book hangover!!!

I too saw the (view spoiler) angle coming but I really liked how it fitted into the bigger picture in the end because I was wondering if Maas was going to draw it out or if not how it will be revealed. And who will know what.

I need to make a table to keep track of who knows what because everyone has a habit of giving half-truths and withholding different bits from anyone else.

I am not a fan of the Baba Yellowlegs storyline, that was as close to dragging as it got for me. I am firmly Team Chaol! And I don't like the bit where (view spoiler). It's too easy to take that road. I'm reminded of the Harry-Hermione shippers somehow because of that :D But I must say I did like the direction Dorian's character is taking. Its like setting a time bomb for a WAAAAY delayed detonation.

Robin (Bridge Four) (fionafixit) Ash Wednesday wrote: "Dagnabit! Book hangover!!!

I too saw the [spoilers removed] angle coming but I really liked how it fitted into the bigger picture in the end because I was wondering if Maas was going to draw it ou..."

Team Chaol ftw. I saw your spoiler too. I didn't see Chaol's part thought and no matter what I really think that it is Celaena and Choal that will share some sort of destiny together not Dorian. Although I think because he cares for her it will cause some series problems with his father later. Can't wait to see that happen. Ka-Boom.

Bailey (baileyharmon) | 111 comments I like Dorian but standing next to Chaol the poor guy doesn't stand a chance.

message 39: by Jenny, puppets' bane (last edited Nov 04, 2013 04:54PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments The Baba Yellowlegs thing was probably meant to show that the witches from one of the prequel story character's past are still out there, and possibly introduce one of them into the story (in case they show up again later?) for people who haven't read the ebook novellas (0.1-0.4), which I recommend doing if you want to know more about Celaena's past. The novellas are a pretty huge chunk of story - enough to be a whole book - and you get to learn more about Arobynn and what happened with Sam (who is awesome, btw). Also there's an unnamed cameo by Chaol and Dorian at some sort of a party in the third one.

message 40: by Ash Wednesday (last edited Nov 04, 2013 05:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ash Wednesday (ashwednesdaylee) | 414 comments It is pretty clever how details of Celaena's awesome-sounding past were alluded to in the two books. Really validates the need for these novellas. Do the novellas tackle (view spoiler)? I should check the book pages but iz lazeh :)

I actually don't find Dorian that... Weak by book 2 (he was a teeny bit spineless in book 1). He has his strengths.

Its just Chaol has more. :)

Robin (Bridge Four) (fionafixit) Oh I read a quote from the third book and thought....I wonder if that is Chaol.

I'm starting 0.3 tonight. But Sam seems like a doll, to bad he has to die.

Robin (Bridge Four) (fionafixit) Bailey wrote: "I like Dorian but standing next to Chaol the poor guy doesn't stand a chance."

For me Chaol is like Amon from the Seven Realms series, only more a main character and he has a better chance at the girl.

Ash Wednesday (ashwednesdaylee) | 414 comments I should get started on that series (TDK) but I am lagging behind my 2013 challenge!

Incompletion of which, as we all know, is punishable by death.

Bailey (baileyharmon) | 111 comments Robin wrote: "Bailey wrote: "I like Dorian but standing next to Chaol the poor guy doesn't stand a chance."

For me Chaol is like Amon from the Seven Realms series, only more a main character and he has a better..."

I haven't read that series, but by simply mentioning Chaol with it I'm interested. Chaol makes me such a giggly girl that I'm almost embarrassed to admit it. Almost.

message 45: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments Read Seven Realms! It's so good!

Bailey (baileyharmon) | 111 comments Stacia (lost interest) wrote: "Read Seven Realms! It's so good!"

Checked it out and now added to my to read! This is what I love, I probably never would have picked up anything fantasy on my own if it weren't for recommendations. But then I would have missed out on ToG and others...and that would be sad.

message 47: by Jenny, puppets' bane (last edited Nov 04, 2013 07:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments Seven Realms is the BESTEST.

Ash, the novellas begin with the story Celaena mentions in ToG in which she (with Sam's help) frees an ass ton of slaves. Then the following three novellas are sort of the err...snowballing repercussions of that event, ending with the sentencing to Endovier.
ETA: You also get random tidbits of background info about how Arobynn found her and took her in and trained her.

Hillary (eledri) | 759 comments Arobynn...that smarmy no good bastard asshat.

I liked the novellas. The back story is interesting.

Bailey (baileyharmon) | 111 comments Hillary wrote: "Arobynn...that smarmy no good bastard asshat.

I liked the novellas. The back story is interesting."

Ha! That pretty much sums him up. I keep waiting for him to pop back in again.

Robin (Bridge Four) (fionafixit) Hillary wrote: "Arobynn...that smarmy no good bastard asshat.

I liked the novellas. The back story is interesting."

I didn't realize what an asshat (haha Hillary I don't use that word enough) Arobynn was until the novella. Maybe I just didn't pick up on it in the first two books but now into the third novella I can see he is a bad bad man.

« previous 1