Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

The Princess Bride
This topic is about The Princess Bride
Archive > The Princess Bride buddy read - begins Dec. 15

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 6088 comments Mod
This is the buddy read thread for The Princess Bride by William Goldman. We will begin this read on December 15, 2013. Everyone is welcome to join! Please feel free to post comments before, during, or after reading the book. Please add page numbers and spoiler tags when appropriate. Happy reading!

Synopsis:

What happens when the most beautiful girl in the world marries the handsomest prince of all time and he turns out to be...well...a lot less than the man of her dreams?

As a boy, William Goldman claims, he loved to hear his father read the S. Morgenstern classic, The Princess Bride. But as a grown-up he discovered that the boring parts were left out of good old Dad's recitation, and only the "good parts" reached his ears.

Now Goldman does Dad one better. He's reconstructed the "Good Parts Version" to delight wise kids and wide-eyed grownups everywhere.

What's it about? Fencing. Fighting. True Love. Strong Hate. Harsh Revenge. A Few Giants. Lots of Bad Men. Lots of Good Men. Five or Six Beautiful Women. Beasties Monstrous and Gentle. Some Swell Escapes and Captures. Death, Lies, Truth, Miracles, and a Little Sex.

In short, it's about everything.

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I love this movie! I'm looking forward to *finally reading the book! :D

Lavender Brooke (LavenderBrooke) You are in for a treat I read this book a few years ago and loved it every bit as much as the movie. I might even use this as an excuse for a re-read!

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Excellent! We'd love to have you join us. :)

Lavender Brooke (LavenderBrooke) Okay count me in!

message 6: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yay!

message 7: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

This might be an interesting discussion. There are so many versions of this book! They range form 283 pages - 480 pages. It will be interesting to see the differing opinions and versions that are read. It would be great if everyone could add a link to their version, just for comparison.

message 8: by Annabel (new) - added it

Annabel (kirbyland1986) Sounds good I join in

message 9: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Excellent! Welcome. :)

Brightness (brightnessreads) | 429 comments This is such a great book! I read it in high school and loved it. I might have to dust it off and re-visit it with you guys.

message 11: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

That's great! Welcome. :)

message 12: by Andy (new) - added it

Andy Capricorn | 0 comments Count me in!

message 13: by Rida (new)

Rida Sajid | 195 comments me too

message 14: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Excellent! This may turn out to have a big group. That would be so great! :)

message 15: by Ray (new) - added it

Ray (tilma) December 15?! That's right around the time I usually dig in with a Dickens. But being from the seventies I am of course also a huge fan of the film. And any version of the book should at least be fun and possibly great. I think I might just join in. If I still remember in four months time and haven't started hibernating yet.

message 16: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Glad it fits in your challenge Lisa!

I hope you do join us Ray. I'm sure people will start posting before the 15th, so you'll see notifications as a reminder. :)

message 17: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3 comments I'm in! I've had this book on my "to read" list forever. Love the movie.

message 18: by Tessa (new) - added it

Tessa | 75 comments I'm in. Give me a pm before you start. I might forget about this util december.

Idees Livres Mandarine I'm in.
One friend of mine spends this weekend in London and I just asked her to buy "The princess Bride". I hope it is not too difficult for a non native English speaker like me !!!

Alycia (bookhound18) I just read this! Looking forward to seeing everyone discuss it. :)

Janice (janjanfreeman) I'm in! This is one of my all time favorite movies, I am very excited to read the book! :)

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

ok.. I wanna join in this buddy read. Are we starting with the orig.?

message 23: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

The original story doesn't actually exist. It's just made up as part of the story.

Idees Livres Mandarine Hi everybody !
I would like to discuss and have your first thoughts...And I'm looking forward to reading your comments !
First I would like to say I'm not a English native speaker (you certainly noticed it ...) but I still try to read english books in order to improve.
I was very interested into reading The princess Bride and when I saw that a group is dedicating a discussion to it, I bought it and started it. This book was supposed to be funny and canadian friends told me 'Fantastic book! you'll see, it's so funny !!". And this is my problem : This book is surely pleasant but funny ?... I read an english book writtent by an english guy, and this one made me laugh a lot!
Is there a difference between American and english humour ??? Is it a problem of culture ? Did I miss something ? Do you have another examples of good american book with humour.
Thank you for guiding me ..

Kathy Amabile | 8 comments I'm in too.

message 26: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (teff1979) | 69 comments Wish i saw this sooner. I love the movie and always wanted to read the book but right now I do not have time to add this.m

message 27: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sorry to hear that, Stephanie. You can always join in later, if you have time. I know I've joined conversations even months later and there's usually someone that still discusses it with you.

message 28: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Reminder to everyone that this read starts tomorrow! Hope you are all ready and looking forward to it. I'm done school on Tuesday (for a couple weeks), so I'm hoping to keep up. :)

Janice (janjanfreeman) Does anyone else have a version with about 50 pages of introduction?

message 30: by Claire (new) - added it

Claire | 38 comments Janice wrote: "Does anyone else have a version with about 50 pages of introduction?"

Yes, I have the ebook and jumping to the actual start left me at 10% !

message 31: by Gary (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gary Paulson (garypaulson) | 1 comments except that the intro is just as much a part of the story as the rest of the book.

Just finished. Must say the movie seems quite faithful to the book and was actually more enjoyable than the book.

Kathy Amabile | 8 comments Finished the book a few days ago. I found it a little confusing at the beginning with the two introductions and the author adding his comments, but I soon figured out that was all part of the story. Very different from most books I read but I did like it. When I finished the book I watched the movie for the first time. I preferred the book over the movie.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Princess Bride (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

William Goldman (other topics)