East County San Diego Ladies Book Club discussion

★ Face-to-Face Meeting > Quick Look Meetings

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ♡ Kristina, Moderator (last edited Apr 26, 2014 04:37PM) (new)

♡ Kristina (krissy_ione) | 274 comments Mod
Just a little blurb about each meeting. Thought it would be fun to take a look back after a year and have it all in one little place

AUGUST, 2013
Book: The Book Thief
Discussion Thread: here
Host: Kristina
Date: Monday, 8/26/2013 6:30pm
Location: (public) Emilliano's, 6690 Mission Gorge Rd, San Diego, CA 92120
Attendees: 3: Kristina, Kimberly, and Nancy
Total Members: 8
Summary: We had some talk about the book, but not much. Kristina finished it and rated it 5 stars, Nancy started to read it but didn't like it, and Kimberly did not and most likely will not read it. We talked about what genres we typically read (Kristina: Magical Realism, Epistolary, Historical Fiction, and Biographies; Nancy: lately into more Romance novels; Kimberly: Romance). Since this was our first actual meeting face to face we spent most of the time getting to know each other, laughing at our waiter (who seemed gaga over Nancy haha), and eating. Very much looking forward to meeting next month and getting to know those who were not able to attend this month. PS - Nancy has some BIG news!!

SEPTEMBER, 2013
Book: The Ocean at the End of the Lane
Host: Veronica
Date: Sunday, 9/29/2013 6:00pm
Location: (public) Casa de Pico, 5500 Grossmont Center Dr, La Mesa, CA, 91942
Attendees: 4 Veronica, Kristina, Kimberly, and Nancy
Summary: First: Casa de Pico was AWESOME! It was my first time there and it was some of the best mexican food I've ever had. Veronica & Kristina rated the book 4 stars, Nancy rated it 3 and Kimberly couldn't really get into it. We had a good discussion about the book and how we wondered about the ending. I still hold my view that that was kind of the author's point but I'm still confused. Veronica pointed out that in the Acknowledgements section of the book, the author stated that it was originally supposed to be a short story. Makes sense since not a lot really happened. Our discussion also lead to an interesting religious stand-point -- how Veronica and I thought that Lettie/Mrs. Hempstock/Ginnie were all the same person, relating that to the Holy Trinity and comparing it to Wm. Paul Young's The Shack. Very interesting take on it and one that I hadn't thought about. We discussed the next few meetings and have volunteers for the next three months (yay! no more begging asking on my part!). Veronica's neighborhood draws a lot of spectators during Halloween and Christmas due to all of the decorations so she will be hosting October & December so we can all enjoy that. (and she agreed to make her famous cookies!). Kimberly has volunteered to host November. Thanks so much, ladies!! We'll do a kind of potluck thing where we each bring a dish to pass (like an appetizer) and whatever drink(s) you want. It was so nice to meet Veronica in person -- oh, and Markus too (Nancy's fiancé).

OCTOBER, 2013
Book: The Cuckoo's Calling
Host: Veronica
Date: 10/21/2013 7pm
Attendees: Meeting Cancelled
Total Members: Meeting Cancelled
Summary: We had very little response on the meeting this month and no one had finished the book so the meeting was cancelled.

NOVEMBER, 2013
Book: Before I Fall
Host: Kimberly
Date: 11/23/2013 7pm
Attendees: 4 Veronica, Kristina, Kimberly, and Nicole
Summary: Veronica was the only good girl who finished the book this month. YAY, Veronica --- we can always count on you. Kristina had read a little over half of the book; Kim & Nicole did not read it. So, there wasn't much discussion about the book at the meeting. Veronica brought her AMAZING chocolate chip cookies and we had a spread of some good snack/appetizer foods.

APRIL, 2014
Book: Where'd You Go Bernadette
Host: No One
Date: 4/27/2014 12pm
Attendees: 4 Veronica, Kristina, Krissy, and Jennifer
Total Members: 10
Summary: WE'RE BACK! After some extreme slacking on my part, we finally met for the first time since November. It's so good to be back, I did miss it. For the first time everyone who was at the meeting actually read the book! YIPPPEE! We all pretty much liked it but couldn't really remember a lot of it (is that a sign that we didn't like it?). We welcomed Jennifer to the group today and got to know more about her - it was a delight. Today was also the first time the Krissy was able to join us so it was fun finally putting a face to her name. We also decided that the bookclub for May will be at Casa de Pico (again!) so we can enjoy some margaritas!!

message 2: by ♡ Kristina, Moderator (new)

reserved

message 3: by ♡ Kristina, Moderator (new)

reserved

message 4: by ♡ Kristina, Moderator (new)

reserved

message 5: by ♡ Kristina, Moderator (new)

reserved

message 6: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 83 comments Thank you Kristina it was very nice meeting you and Kim. Looking forward to more. ...... Yes BIG news lol I'm Engaged !!! It's still taking a little bit to sink in. I'm sure once the planning starts ill get super nervous .... An let the stress begin! Haha :)

message 7: by ♡ Kristina, Moderator (new)

;) and how many times did you refer to him as boyfriend today? kidding..... :)

message 8: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 83 comments Awe .... :) he actually called me his fiancé this afternoon at work eeeeeee!!!!!! It felt great . I loved it!

message 9: by Veronica, Moderator (new)

Veronica (vrvanderhyde) | 122 comments Mod
Congratulations! Enjoy the planning, don't get nervous. It's a ton of fun! I can pass on a list of vendors I used for my wedding here in SD, if you'd like.

message 10: by Krissy (new)

Krissy Walker | 45 comments Nancy wrote: "Thank you Kristina it was very nice meeting you and Kim. Looking forward to more. ...... Yes BIG news lol I'm Engaged !!! It's still taking a little bit to sink in. I'm sure once the planning start..."

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 11: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 83 comments Thank you Krissy :)

message 12: by ♡ Kristina, Moderator (new)

September Book Club notes posted here. Had a great time!