What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > harry potter/hound of rowan young adult book? /s

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pronto285 (new)

Pronto285 | 3 comments I REALLY want to find this book again, I read it during my "I want to be magic phase" somewhere between 2002 and maybe 2008? I THINK it was published in that time period. It had this kid be recruited to a school/program that may have taught magic, or may have just had a lot of fantasy aspects. I think there were three main characters, with a sortve harry potter dynamic, and as I said, it reminded me a lot of the hound of rowan books. I only remember a few details. I know there was a crab demon monster, and possibly many other demons along that thing. I remember that early in the first book the group was told to pick a weapon to fight these ooze things as a test, and he picked a flashlight. And I'm FAIRLY sure that later in the series he had to go through a training program that may have involved killing a chicken. The test was that you pass if you either kill the chicken unflinchingly, or flatly refuse to do so. Sorry, that's all I remember. It was a series published some time around the hound of rowan if I remember correctly.

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4880 comments Midnight for Charlie Bone, maybe?

If not, do you remember anything about the cover?

message 3: by Pronto285 (new)

Pronto285 | 3 comments Nah, I don't believe it was that, but I'll check. And I have NO idea. I know its a long shot, haven't exactly given you guys a lot to go on haha

message 4: by Alycia (new)

Alycia (alyciac) | 47 comments It's been a while since I read it, but your description reminded me of Nightmare Academy by Dean Lorey

message 5: by Pronto285 (new)

Pronto285 | 3 comments Yes! Alycia, you rock. As soon as I saw the cover I recognized it. Thanks so much!