You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

166 views
Challenges: Monthly > September 2013 - I Didn't Know We Had a King

Comments Showing 1-50 of 301 (301 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Aug 28, 2013 07:50PM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17072 comments description

“I thought we were an autonomous collective.”

“You're fooling yourself. We're living in a dictatorship: a self-perpetuating autocracy in which the working classes--”

Yes, well I could continue that all night.

So apparently those of us still in the British Commonwealth have had a new heir produced over the last couple of months. A few people are excited, a few are indifferent, a few haven't noticed.

But I thought, that this might be a good time for us peasants to get a bit fancy and dabble our toes in to the world of the royals.

I would like you this month, to read a book that deals with royalty of some sort. It can be kings or queens, dukes or duchesses, tsars or tsarinas, marquise and other forms of tents. I would like you to explain to me and the rest of us what the royal connection is. Some of these will be bleedingly obvious, but some may not. Remind us what an earl, or a dauphin, or a kaiser, or a sultana is. You know, there's a lot of them, so helps us keep up.

We'll stick away from sirs and dames. They are murky. So no one lower than a Baron will count for points or for the books eligibility. Marrying into a title above this cut off is fine.

What shall you do with your chosen royalty? Why, read a book about them! Anything you wish; historical fiction, classics, non-fiction, biographies, fantasy etc. Book written by them, written about them, with them as the lead character.

Just get yourself into a palace and have a good dig around.

General rules:

1. The book may be in any format - paperback, ebook, audiobook.
2. The book may be in any genre.
3. The book may NOT be combined with the Year Long Alphabet Challenge.
4. The book must be read between September 1 and September 30, 2013.
5. The challenge is for one book. You may read more books if you chose, but only the highest scoring book will apply.

Point Qualifiers (count any and all if they apply):

Type of Royals in your book:

Count 1 point for every type of royal in you book.
Example: I'm reading a book that mentioned a king, queen, 3 princes, 8 earls and a lone duke. That gets me 5 points. I suggest keeping a post it note inside your book or on your e-reader cover.

Cover (if an audiobook or e-book use the most popular version, otherwise the version you read):
5 pts – purple lettering
4 pts – gold or silver embossing on the cover (can be on picture or text)
3 pts – the name of the author is bigger than the title
2 pts – has a crown on it
1pt – has a wistful looking girl in giant, impractical dress on it

Author:
5 pts – Is some form of royal - explain
4 pts – Was born in a country beginning with C
3 pts – is deceased
2 pts – has multiple authors
1pt – is a man

Setting:
5 pts – Africa and all other countries
4 pts – Middle East and South/Central America
3 pts – Asia
2 pts – Fantasy/mythical kingdom
1pt - Europe (including the UK and Ireland)

Length (if an audiobook or e-book use the most popular version, otherwise the version you read):
5 pts – 500pp - up
4 pts - 400-499pp
3 pts – 300-399pp
2 pts – 200-299pp
1pt – 100-199pp

Bonus Points
3 pts (once only) - if there are pigs mentioned in the book.
Clarification - Real, actual pigs. No name calling (ie. calling Prince Joffery a pig, will not count no matter how true it is). If Joffery patted a pig, or walked past a pig, or ate delicious, suckling pig, then you get 3 points.

Enjoy, bloody peasant!


message 2: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15093 comments I'm so excited! My very first challenge (well, and the August challenge, but that seemed a bit different from what you usually do)

I don't think I have read that many books about royals and I'm not even sure if I have any on my TBR. Can't wait to go find one!


message 3: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17072 comments Ooop. I forgot a line. Edited.


message 4: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15093 comments Is the most popular version of a book the one I get when I enter the title on the goodreads website?


message 5: by Esther (last edited Aug 27, 2013 06:16AM) (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4319 comments One question. Does at leat one "royal" has to be a main character. In the book i am currently reading, i have a bunch of them, but, while important in the story, none are the main character. If so, i would be at about 10 points in the first chapter. :)

And there is a 3rd book.. Hmm,...

.


message 6: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17072 comments Peggy wrote: "I'm so excited! My very first challenge (well, and the August challenge, but that seemed a bit different from what you usually do)

I don't think I have read that many books about royals and I'm no..."


You haven't got to the scoring phase of Janice's August challenge yet, who knows what may happen!!


message 7: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4319 comments Never mind... You answered. I skipped that line.


message 8: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15093 comments Hm, one more question. It's about this rule: "could we try to stick to inherited titles instead of bestowed titles. So maybe stick away from sirs and dames." I'm not sure about the meaning of the word 'bestowed'.

Does it mean the book cannot be about a queen who was born in a non-royal family? For example, our Dutch king was born as a prince, and he married Maxima, who only then became a princess. Now that the former prince is king, Maxima has become a queen. Is it allowed to read about a Maxima-like person, or should it be a person who was royal since he was born?


message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Great challenge! I had better get looking through the olde TBR pile.


message 10: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17072 comments Peggy wrote: "Is the most popular version of a book the one I get when I enter the title on the goodreads website?"

Yup :) First one that comes up.


message 11: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17072 comments Esther wrote: "Never mind... You answered. I skipped that line."

Hah no worries. Sorry went to have a shower.


message 12: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Aug 27, 2013 06:18AM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17072 comments Peggy wrote: "Hm, one more question. It's about this rule: "could we try to stick to inherited titles instead of bestowed titles. So maybe stick away from sirs and dames." I'm not sure about the meaning of the w..."

Ah good point. I will make that clearer. I meant more "We like this actor so we shall knight him. Or that singer so we shall dame her." Marriage is a different kettle of fish.

Hey, even an Aussie can become a princess that way, can't discount that (cheers Denmark).


message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Question for you Rusalka. I have a time-slip novel where one of the main characters is the wife of a baron (her title is 'Lady'). Does she count as royalty? If not, an important character in the story is a medieval king. Would I be able to count it even though he is not a main character?


message 14: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17072 comments Lisa wrote: "Question for you Rusalka. I have a time-slip novel where one of the main characters is the wife of a baron (her title is 'Lady'). Does she count as royalty? If not, an important character in the s..."

Yup. Baron is one of the lowest peerages. Actually, that solves my Knight/Dames thing. That's our cut off. good work!!


message 15: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Aug 27, 2013 06:35AM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17072 comments Edited that sticky point about Sirs and Dames and marriage. Two things clarfiied:

1. Our royal cut off is a Baron/Baroness or equivalent. No kinds of knights or dames or equiv, bestowed or inherited, will count as royals for this challenge.

2. Marriage is fine to be counted, as long as they have married a Baron/Baroness or higher (or equiv).

Keep the questions coming. I'll get to them in about 10 hours :) Thanks guys! And goodnight.


message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Great! Thanks for clearing that up Rusalka. Glad I could be of help with the Knight/Dame dilemma ;)


message 17: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15093 comments I searched among royalty books (oh my, there are many!), and I might read (if I can find it somewhere) Empress Orchid which is totally different from what I normally read, but it sounds like an interesting story. I don't know much about China's history and royals and how life was for those people.


message 18: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48819 comments If I had known about this challenge, I would have held off in reading The Bone Doll's Twin. True to the fantasy genre, there were lots of characters. Among those characters there were many kings, queens, princes, princesses.... I could have scored big time.

Oh, me and my big mouth! I've given the competition a heads up. *grumble*

I could read the next book in the trilogy - NOT!

Off to see what I could read.


message 19: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4319 comments Ohhh i got the perfect one. Of course, it is still somewhere in unpacked boxes. You just gave me an incentive to finish shelving my books.


message 20: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I'm going to read The Rose Garden - there's a couple of characters (distantly related to a Duke) and they are Jacobites closely involved in the plot to overthrow King George and put James Stuart on the throne. Not sure how much the royal characters will play in the book as yet. We shall see. I do have a back up plan if they don't feature - The Last Queen of England


message 21: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48819 comments Why, oh why do all my books dealing with royalty have to be more than 600 pages? *grumble* I think I need to go back to bed.


message 22: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10137 comments Perfect time to read The Scarlet Pimpernel!


message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm betting a biography that's been on my shelf for a while might score well, Love and Louis XIV: The Women in the Life of the Sun King ought to have a king, a Queen and a lady or two hidden in there.


message 24: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10137 comments Janice wrote: "Why, oh why do all my books dealing with royalty have to be more than 600 pages? *grumble* ."

All the better to score points, my dear! :)


message 25: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments Nice challenge- I love reading about royals! When I was reading through the scoring for this challenge I choked on my drink when I read we get points for PIGS! Snoozie Suzie will be thrilled! :) how fun!


message 26: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17072 comments Peggy wrote: "I searched among royalty books (oh my, there are many!), and I might read (if I can find it somewhere) Empress Orchid which is totally different from what I normally read, but it sounds like an int..."

Hopefully you can find it. Someone read that the other day... I think it was Shannon?


message 27: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17072 comments Esther wrote: "Ohhh i got the perfect one. Of course, it is still somewhere in unpacked boxes. You just gave me an incentive to finish shelving my books."

Happy to help!


message 28: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17072 comments Janice wrote: "If I had known about this challenge, I would have held off in reading The Bone Doll's Twin. True to the fantasy genre, there were lots of characters. Among those characters there were many kings,..."

Sorry! To be fair, I only settled on it last night, as I panicked when I saw it was the 27th. So I wasn't holding out on you all.

And I agree with Almeta!


message 29: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17072 comments Almeta wrote: "Perfect time to read The Scarlet Pimpernel!"

YES!


message 30: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17072 comments Helen wrote: "I'm betting a biography that's been on my shelf for a while might score well, Love and Louis XIV: The Women in the Life of the Sun King ought to have a king, a Queen and a lady or two hidden in there."

You'd think there would be at least a couple.


message 31: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17072 comments Marnie wrote: "Nice challenge- I love reading about royals! When I was reading through the scoring for this challenge I choked on my drink when I read we get points for PIGS! Snoozie Suzie will be thrilled! :) ho..."

So happy it caught someone! hehe


message 32: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17072 comments Now the real question is, do I pick up a Philippa Gregory or not...


message 33: by Anna (new)

Anna (annamatsuyama) | 1071 comments In the group I moderate I made very similar challenge for August in the honour of the new heir. :D


message 34: by Anna (new)

Anna (annamatsuyama) | 1071 comments Any suitable royalty in Austin's Emma?

If not I'm going to read Nine Coaches Waiting


message 35: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48819 comments Almeta and Rusulka, you are right about the extra points for the longer books. Now all I need is to ascertain if any of them have succulent pig roasts in them and I'm set!

I laughed out loud for real when I read the bonus points. Good one, Rusalka!


message 36: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17072 comments Anna wrote: "Any suitable royalty in Austin's Emma?

If not I'm going to read Nine Coaches Waiting"


Great minds think alike! Hopefully you're not all royaled out then.

I can't think of any in Emma I am afraid. Others may be able to remember it better than me (not my favourite Austen) but I really can't think of any sorry.


message 37: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Yes, I too laughed when I saw the pigs. Do references to pigs count too or just actual pigs? ;-)


message 38: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17072 comments Calling someone a pig, no. Spit roasted or suckling pig, yes.


message 39: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I am going to read Lady of Hay. It's a bit of a chunkster at 832 pages but I will make it..... I hope! Fingers crossed that there are some pigs in there somewhere! ;)


message 40: by Kirila (new)

Kirila | 612 comments Nice challenge! The point for the girl in the wistful dress had me immediately thinking of Philippa Gregory books :D This is the perfect opportunity to continue reading the Tudor series :)


message 41: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (alex2911) | 431 comments Great challenge! I love the piggie-points :-)


message 42: by Esther (new)

Esther  (estame) | 467 comments This means I will finally be reading Wolf Hall, I think it has pigs in it too! Thanks for this challenge, very inventive :)


message 43: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48819 comments Esta wrote: "This means I will finally be reading Wolf Hall, I think it has pigs in it too! Thanks for this challenge, very inventive :)"

That's one of the books I was referring to in an earlier post. It's over 600 pages long and I'm still debating whether or not I'll read it for this challenge. And now you say it has pigs in it. Hmmmmm!


Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 1090 comments I'm in! I have The White Princess (The Cousins' War, #5) by Philippa Gregory The White Princess by Philippa Gregory on my TBR shelf, but have a question.

For the author "is some sort of royal" will this do? "The newest novel from #1 New York Times bestselling author and “queen of royal fiction” (USA TODAY) Philippa Gregory tells the passionate story of Elizabeth of York, daughter of the White Queen, who gets caught in the middle of a battle for the crown of England."


message 45: by Esther (new)

Esther  (estame) | 467 comments Janice wrote: "Esta wrote: "This means I will finally be reading Wolf Hall, I think it has pigs in it too! Thanks for this challenge, very inventive :)"

That's one of the books I was referring to in an earlier p..."


I read the first 50pages, which I will re-read if I do pick it, and I am sure there was a pig in it....or maybe it was a goat?! I think Elizabeth I is referred to as a "red-headed pig", does that count? And I think we deserve a point for having a pigs arch-enemy the Wolf, in the title...yes? ;)


message 46: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17072 comments Theresa~OctoberLace wrote: "I'm in! I have The White Princess (The Cousins' War, #5) by Philippa Gregory The White Princess by Philippa Gregory on my TBR shelf, but have a question.

For the author "is some sort of royal" will this do? "The newe..."


Nope sorry. Real royal, not PR lines thrown at you by your publisher :P

Nice try though! heh


message 47: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17072 comments Esta wrote: "Janice wrote: "Esta wrote: "This means I will finally be reading Wolf Hall, I think it has pigs in it too! Thanks for this challenge, very inventive :)"

That's one of the books I was referring to ..."


Nope, again. No name calling. Real, actual pigs. Roasted count. I'll put it up in the rules.


Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 1090 comments Rusalka, I bow to your decision. Though it's exactly what I expected, I figure I'd give it a try anyway!


message 49: by Thing Two (new)

Thing Two (thingtwo) I've got a book here about a drug baron ... is that Baron enough?


message 50: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17072 comments Theresa~OctoberLace wrote: "Rusalka, I bow to your decision. Though it's exactly what I expected, I figure I'd give it a try anyway!"

I'm all for pushing the rules!


« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
back to top