Happily Ever After Cafe discussion

Other HEA > Romance Without an HEA

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A (new)

A H I'm not exactly sure whether this is allowed, since this group is basically about HEAs, but I was just wondering, what about the books which don't have a HEA??

Recommend here books which are love stories but which don't have HEAs in the end.

message 2: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Ohhh... posting this is fine, Ruchi. However, I don't read these. If I can help it.

message 3: by A (new)

A H Yes...I understand that maybe you don't read such books....maybe a lot of people in this group don't. But I've read a lot of such type of tragic love stories and would love to know what the others think!

message 4: by ᴥ Irena ᴥ (new)

ᴥ Irena ᴥ (-irena-) | 9 comments I've read quite a few in the past (mostly classics: Tess of the d'Urbervilles is a good example). However, I have all the lack of HEA in real life. I don't need to get them in books too.
I am not saying I won't read such books in the future, but at the moment I will stick to all the HEAs I can get. :)

message 5: by A (new)

A H Morana wrote: "I've read quite a few in the past (mostly classics: Tess of the d'Urbervilles is a good example). However, I have all the lack of HEA in real life. I don't need to get them in books too.
I am not s..."

Yes...I totally understand.

message 6: by A (new)

A H Some heart-touching love stories without a HEA -

A Walk To Remember by Nicholas Sparks
Nights In Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks
Love Story by Erich Segal
I Too Had A Love Story by Ravinder Singh
The Thing Between U And Me by Sagar Sahu

message 7: by Sonya (new)

Sonya Heaney | 160 comments It's YA, but I think this counts (one of my all-time favourite books); The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Doesn't The Bronze Horseman (The Bronze Horseman, #1) by Paullina Simons end with the couple apart?

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 13013 comments How about The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks by Nicholas Sparks. It is an absolutely beautiful love story and I guess they had a life long HEA but it still is so sad at the end.

And another classic Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë .

message 10: by A (new)

A H Sonya Heaney wrote: "It's YA, but I think this counts (one of my all-time favourite books); The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Doesn't The Bronze Horseman (The Bronze Horseman, #1) by Paullina Simons end with the couple apart?"

Yeah....Fault In Our Stars definitely falls in this category.....was so beautiful but the ending broke my heart:)

message 11: by A (new)

A H Rachel ~ SnapDragoness wrote: "Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy"

I've so wanted to read that book!

message 12: by A (new)

A H Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "How about The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks by Nicholas Sparks. It is an absolutely beautiful love story and I guess they had a life long HEA but it still is so sad at the end.

And another classic [..."

Love both the books you mentioned!! Especially The Notebook.....they had so much love yet it didn't end in a HEA......and Wuthering Heights is one of my favorite classics!!

message 13: by June (new)

June (ladyjune) | 630 comments I love Me Before You by Jojo Moyes although I'm not reccomend it to everyone, it deal with very sensitive issue, and I think not everyone would like it. And I'm not very certain it qualifies as romance, the romance between the two lead characters almost none, although I can see they're love each other deeply and that is what make this story so great IMO.

message 14: by A (new)

A H Thanks for the recommendation!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I prefer HEA, but in spite of that I loved The Opportunist. The Opportunist (Love Me With Lies, #1) by Tarryn Fisher She wrote two follow-up books to this, but it stands on its own, and the follow-ups aren't especially happy either.

message 16: by A (new)

A H I really wanna read the book....anyway, thanks for the reco. - I've heard this book is great!:)

message 17: by 1001 Romances!, Really Pamela, Dhes, & Lisa Kay! (new)

1001 Romances! | 178 comments It has come to our attention that some authors are attempting to promote outside of the Authors’ Promotions and Blogs folder. While we are excited about our authors’ successes, we do ask that the promotions be contained to the appropriate folder.

If you need help in posting a new topic to this folder, please refer to Add a New Topic to a Folder under our GoodReads How To... folder.

message 18: by Hanita (new)

Hanita | 33 comments I think my favourite book all the time although it does not end HEA is Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell . So strong characters, beautifully written, nice plot, all together in one book. Really nice!

message 19: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Sharpe (abigailsharpe) | 2010 comments I was gonna add anything by Nicholas Sparks, but someone beat me to it.

message 20: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments **hee hee**

message 21: by Gerrie (new)

Gerrie | 2856 comments Beauty by Susan Wilson Beauty by Susan Wilson

It is a beautiful, contemporary love story based on the beauty and the beast theme. I would have given it five stars, because the romance is so beautifully depicted and developed, but I took away a star because of the unhappy ending.

However, if you want an exquisite love story that does not have a HEA, I highly recommend this book.

message 22: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Leo (rosanna_leo) One of my faves in this category is Nocturne by Syrie James I adored it, and the author hasn't ruled out a sequel, but hard to tell...

message 23: by A (new)

A H Thanks guys for the suggestions!

message 24: by Paige (new)

Paige Rion I see someone else already mentioned it, but I absolutely loved Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. So flipping sad, but loved it all the same!

message 25: by Julia (new)

Julia Bell (juliabellromanticfiction) | 48 comments Paige wrote: "I see someone else already mentioned it, but I absolutely loved Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. So flipping sad, but loved it all the same!"

When I read (or watch a film)I'm always rooting for a happy ending. If it has a sad ending I start feeling low. For me, the villein has to get his just desserts and everything must come right in the end. Evil mustn't triumph. When I was a member of the Romantic Novelists' Association, I sent a manuscript to them and the reader suggested I concluded the story when the heroine had killed her husband. I just couldn't do it. Even a heroine must suffer the consequences of her actions. I believed I was giving the wrong impression if she had got away with it. So, I did what I thought was right.

message 26: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Sharpe (abigailsharpe) | 2010 comments And if it doesn't feel right to you, it's not going to feel right to your readers.