Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > Mate rejection

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nattles (new)

Nattles | 7 comments I'm looking for some books where the H rejects his mate and has to try and win her back.

Any suggestions?

message 2: by Rox (new)

Rox | 69 comments wohooo , I want books with this theme too :)

message 3: by Rinou (new)

Rinou | 44 comments I have this Lucy Monroe's book on my TBR list Warrior's Moon

message 4: by Allison (new)

Allison | 247 comments Try the Redwood Pack series. Shattered Emotions (Redwood Pack, #5) by Carrie Ann Ryan in particular, but really all of them seem to have a bit of this.

Ninab (Honesty is the Best Policy)  | 137 comments Off the top of my head is The Beast in Him (Pride, #2) by Shelly Laurenston . And I think the third book in Suzanne Wright's Phoenix Pack series will be along these lines, but it hasn't come out yet. Oh and Beat of Temptation in Wild Invitation (Psy-Changeling 0.5, 3.5, 9.5, 10.5) by Nalini Singh sort of fits too.

message 6: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 26 comments Hi,

Here is one I thought of: Forbidden Forest (Legends of Regia, #1) by Tenaya Jayne . The heroine was raped and bears a slave mark from an evil vampire. The hero is the evil vampire's cousin so the heroine rejects the hero as a mate.

Nicole

message 8: by Megan (new)

Megan (thebookhunter) | 54 comments I think several in Jennifer Ashley's shifter series denied the claim or tried to. Pride Mates (Shifters Unbound, #1) by Jennifer Ashley Also, not shifters but Christine Feehan's Carpathian series has mates and they almost always have to work for it. Dark Prince (Dark, #1) by Christine Feehan

namericanwordcat | 231 comments There is a bit of this in Heart Quest (Celta's Heartmates, #5) by Robin D. Owens This is a wonderful book!

message 10: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
I agree with the The Beast in Him recommendation. Watching Bobby Ray try to win back Jessica is GREAT. Of course, watching the former nerd (Jessica) deck her high school tormentor is also fun (says another former nerd.)

A couple of the Naked Werewolf books have this too, especially when the mate is human. How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf is book #1

message 11: by namericanwordcat (new)

namericanwordcat | 231 comments There is a little of that in A Hunger Like No Other

Paganalexandria  | 238 comments That seems to be a theme in the Immortals After Dark series. Lothaire (Immortals After Dark, #12) by Kresley Cole A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, #2) by Kresley Cole Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night (Immortals After Dark, #4) by Kresley Cole

message 13: by Anne (new)

Anne Berkeley (aberkeley) Mate rejection! Gasp! Love it. Every story needs turmoil!

message 14: by Madhellena (new)

Madhellena | 9 comments The best mate rejection book in my opinion is one of the Breeds series, but I would suggest reading the entire series.
Coyote's Mate (Breeds, #18) by Lora Leigh

message 15: by namericanwordcat (new)

namericanwordcat | 231 comments This is my favorite Breed book.

message 16: by Lady K (last edited Nov 09, 2013 10:54PM) (new)

Lady K (droplet) | 2 comments I love this theme! Some suggestions I have:

MacRieve (continuing in the IAD series by Kresley Cole)
Tangle of Need - this is the 11th book in the Psy/Changeling series by Nalini Singh, and I highly recommend the whole series - there is a little bit of this theme in the first, fourth, and fifth books as well.

The Man Within - another Lora Leigh book in the Breeds series.

Carnal Secrets - Suzanne Wright This one I am very excited for, and is coming out in February 2014.

These next ones have more of a subtle rejection, more along the lines of one of the main characters denying to him/herself what the other means:

Demon Possession Fay Kiersten
Tiger Laurann Dohner
Moon Awakening Lucy Monroe

This next one is M/M: Chasing Seth and its sequel which isn't out yet will be too: Forgiving Thayne both by JR Loveless

message 17: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
Hum, if we want M/M then Finding Forgiveness would work.

message 18: by ☆Eiko (new)

☆Eiko (sillytachi) | 15 comments One that I remember immediately is Something Wonderful, it's rather old, and I suppose somewhat cliche, but I recall it being very traumatic and gasp worthy.

message 19: by Christi (new)

Christi | 9 comments Eiko wrote: "One that I remember immediately is Something Wonderful, it's rather old, and I suppose somewhat cliche, but I recall it being very traumatic and gasp worthy."

This was a great book love Judith McNaught. Whitney My Love, is another of her books that's an all time favorite.

Nucking Futs the Fire Fairy Book-a-holic (firefairyholic) | 41 comments Eiko wrote: "One that I remember immediately is Something Wonderful, it's rather old, and I suppose somewhat cliche, but I recall it being very traumatic and gasp worthy."

i love this book! It was very romantic! One of my favorites ever

message 21: by ☆Eiko (last edited Nov 17, 2013 01:06AM) (new)

☆Eiko (sillytachi) | 15 comments Most of MacNaught's books have this theme going around, that after constant abuse from the hero, they realise that they were being arseholes and try and get the heroine back.

Some other books that do this very well are:

The Ground She Walks Upon by Meagan McKinney <-- this one is a bit slow at first but halfway through the book is where the hero is trying to get the heroine to love him back. He's been told by everyone living in his lands that he MUST marry the girl from the 'geist' or their crops will not grow (this one implies magic but there really isn't any), the hero refuses to acknowledge the girl as his, but treats her as if the sight of her makes him angry, but then he finally cracks and falls hard for her. Set in Ireland in the 1700's if I'm not mistaken.

SOMEWHAT OF A SPOILER (I dunno how many are turned off by the hero being older than the heroine, but the H is 20 yrs older than the girl, so by the time she's 20, he's 40... though he's described as looking still 'boyish'.)

I always seem to recommend this one The Secret Swan by Shana Abe <----the heroine was in love with the hero at first sight, but then realises he never truly 'saw' her, and when he returns from the crusades, she shows her indifference to him while he, psychologically scarred by war, falls hard for her (he believes the h is her own cousin, and she makes him believe that lie, which in turn makes him feel guilty for having passionate feelings for his 'dead' wife's cousin), though the H does find out she's actually his wife. MEDIEVAL :3 this one has to do with the crusades, but focuses on the romance.

and... [since I know for a fact that I'll come up with more titles when not under self-pressure, this post will be edited :) ]

message 22: by Splendor (new)

Splendor | 19 comments Teehee, isn't that almost all of them. ;)

message 23: by Evgenija (new)

Evgenija | 1 comments I think this bookCarnal Secrets fits this theme. The H rejets the h and then has to grovel to get her back.

message 24: by Rox (new)

Rox | 69 comments I am reading a book that has this theme where the hero knows the heroine is his mate and he is trying to convince her to stay with him but the heroine is against it and she refuses to be with him or to believe he has feelings for her . The book is King of Darkness (Chronicles of Yavn, #1) by Elisabeth Staab and is with vampires . Pretty nice writing too .