Ask Nenia Campbell discussion

Social chats > Post your favorite book - receive ten recs for books just like it

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell (neniacampbell) | 213 comments Mod
Here is a fun little thing based on a blog post I did a while back.

Got a book you LOVE and want to find more books with a similar subject or style?

Post it here - and I, or some other ambitious members, will get back to you with a list of ten other goodies. <3

message 2: by Alisa (new)

Alisa | 5 comments Darkfever and Everneath

Thanks for doing this!

Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell (neniacampbell) | 213 comments Mod
Okay, you get five and five. :P

1. Ill Wind - Rachel Caine
2. Stormfront - Jim Butcher
3. War for the Oaks - Emma Bull
4. Darkhouse - Karina Halle
5. Storm Born - Richelle Mead
6. White as Snow - Tanith Lee
7. Going Under - Kathe Koja
8. The Golden Gryphon Feather - Richard Purtill
9. Radiant Darkness - Emily Whitman
10. Dazzling Brightness - Roberta Gellis

message 4: by Abdul (new)

Abdul | 46 comments Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. Hmm ... can't say I liked this book, but I can't put it down. Finished it in two days which is a record for me.

message 5: by Abdul (new)

Abdul | 46 comments Nothing similar? Oh well ... maybe I'll go to our itty bitty library and get Remains of the Day. I remember seeing that one but I choose Never Let Me Go coz its under Sci-Fi. But its not.

Veronica-Lynn Pit Bull How about Ritual Sins by Anne Stuart? I like that Luke is an actual bad boy (quite understandably murdered his abusive step father after he drove his mother to suicide, spent time in jail on a manslaughter charge defending himself in a bar fight and at the start of the book is working as a con man) and I like the chemistry between him and the heroine (which starts out as, well not love/hate, pretty much hate/hate w/ intense attraction and includes what many would consider crossing the line over forced seduction into some shady non-con waters. In the end of course Luke is redeemed, Rachel sees the light and everyone's happy : )

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Abdul wrote: "Nothing similar? Oh well ... maybe I'll go to our itty bitty library and get Remains of the Day. I remember seeing that one but I choose Never Let Me Go coz its under Sci-Fi. But its not."

Have you read "Remains of The Day" before?

message 8: by Abdul (new)

Abdul | 46 comments Jazzy wrote: "How about Ritual Sins by Anne Stuart? I like that Luke is an actual bad boy (quite understandably murdered his abusive step father after he drove his mother to suicide, spent time in jail on a mans..."

Thank you. I will look it up. From the brief description though, I would say that the characters in Never Let Me Go are very good boys and girls. They don't smoke or drink, all they wanted is a bit more time before they complete. So little they ask.

message 9: by Abdul (new)

Abdul | 46 comments Loki wrote: "Have you read "Remains of The Day" before?"

No I haven't. Why? Will that book put me to sleep? English "Butler"ing sounds to me very boring and dull. Perhaps I'm wrong. Maybe there will be a lot of espionage and assassination work involved. :-0

Veronica-Lynn Pit Bull Abdul - I am sorry for the confusion - I was asking for recommendations for myself based on the book Ritual Sins. I have not read Never Let Me Go so I cannot offer you any suggestions.

I have seen the movie version of The Remains of the Day and I would say that based on that...the book I am asking about is not something that would fit your criteria.

I hope others will have some good suggestions for us both!

Sorry guys. I've been feeling sick and haven't really been keeping tabs on this thread. :(

One sec-

Never Let Me Go
1. Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood
2. Perdido Street Station - China Mieville
3. The Windup Girl - Paolo Bacigalupi
4. Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
5. Alas, Babylon - Pat Frank
6. In the Garden of Iden - Kage Baker
7. The Traveler - John Twelve Hawks
8. White Mountains - John Christopher
9. The Road - Cormac McCarthy
10. Blindness - Jose Saramago

Ritual Sins
1. Sins & Needles - Karina Halle
2. This Other Eden - Marilyn Harris
3. Outsider - Diana Palmer
4. Master of the Game - Sidney Sheldon
5. Untouched - Anna Campbell
6. Stormfire - Christine Monson
7. After the Night - Linda Howard
8. All Through the Night - Connie Brockway
9. Kiss of the Vampire - Nancy Baker
10. Crimson Kiss - Trisha Baker

message 14: by Veronica-Lynn Pit Bull (last edited Sep 04, 2013 03:04AM) (new)

Veronica-Lynn Pit Bull Wow, you're good Nenia! Hope you feel better!

Thanks for the list; I will check them out...the only one I've read is LH After the Night - and I did enjoy that book! Oh Wait; I read Kiss of the Vampire too and still have it...I'll have to do a re-read - I don't remember much about it.

message 15: by Abdul (new)

Abdul | 46 comments Jazzy wrote: "Abdul - I am sorry for the confusion - I was asking for recommendations for myself based on the book Ritual Sins. I have not read Never Let Me Go so I cannot offer you any suggestions.

I have see..."

Whoops!! Second time I misinterpret a post. :-0 Always trigger happy with my replies. Ha ha ...

message 16: by Abdul (new)

Abdul | 46 comments Nenia wrote: "Never Let Me Go
1. Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood
2. Perdido Street Station - China Mieville
3. The Windup Girl - Paolo Bacigalupi
4. Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
5. Alas, Babylon - Pat Fran..."

Thank you Nenia!! I will look them up. Hopefully, one will stick. :-) Get well soon!!

message 17: by Alex (new)

Alex  | 149 comments Fearscape

Thank you! :D

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Abdul wrote: "No I haven't. Why? Will that book put me to sleep? English "Butler"ing sounds to me very boring and dull. Perhaps I'm wrong. Maybe there wi..."

I read it as a change of pace and I really enjoyed it. I wanted to shake Stevens (the butler) several times throughout, but it surprised me. After “Never Let Me Go”, I think it’d be a treat for you to read. Enjoy! (:

Alex wrote: "Fearscape

Thank you! :D"

I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE

1. The Most Dangerous Game - Richard Connell
2. The Collector - John Fowles
3. And Then There Were None - Agatha Christie
4. The Hunter - L.J. Smith
5. The Taker - Alma Katsu
6. Chess Story - Stefan Zweig
7. Tenderness - Robert Cormier
8. The Magic Circle - Jenny Davidson
9. Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
10. The Luzhin Defense - Vladimir Nabokov

message 20: by Abdul (last edited Sep 05, 2013 06:14PM) (new)

Abdul | 46 comments Loki wrote: "... I wanted to shake Stephens ..."

How odd!! Thats exactly what I wanted to do to Kathy and friends. Hellloooooo!!? You have a car!! Go!! Get out!! Now!! Damn you Kazuo. (sniff ... I love Kathy).