Bright Young Things discussion

Hot books/small group reads > Gerald Manley Hopkins - reclusive Victorian diva

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Feliks (last edited Aug 26, 2013 08:16PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Okay, let's get at this thing about Gerald Manley Hopkins. What a strange, strange, character. Enough material to keep a psych department in term papers for years. Ever read up on him? Gadzooks! But what a poet. He had the right stuff. Sure wish more artists of the current day would adopt some of his reticence and inwardness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerard_M...

He predates BYT 1900-45, but his close friend (who translated his works posthumously) became Britain's poet-laureate of the 1930s. And no one even remembers his name either! Robert Bridges

How can you be poet laureate during the heyday of TS Eliot and not get any credit?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_B...

message 2: by Greg (new)

Greg | 330 comments Feliks wrote: "Okay, let's get at this thing about Gerald Manley Hopkins. What a strange, strange, character. Enough material to keep a psych department in term papers for years. Ever read up on him? Gadzooks! Bu..."

This is good, thanks Felix. I have a Penguin paperback of G M H Poems and prose Selected and edited by W. H. Gardner I got into in the early 1970's. A good introduction, I remember liking GMH, the man and his work. I haven't looked at this for a long time. I'll have to delve into this again. What was so strange about him? I remember his work was based on his faith, true?
At that time I also read and still have a fabulous biography on John Keats by Robert Gittings, in Pelican Biographies.
I hadn't heard of Robert Bridges.

message 3: by Feliks (last edited Aug 27, 2013 07:59AM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Not exactly a topic which will light up the switchboard; but I found even the Wiki history of his life incredible. A tortured soul for sure. Seemingly for years, he yearned to be either an artist or a poet but 'couldn't reconcile creative pursuits with his faith'. Wow! The kind of dilemma we never see in the modern age. And then the one point where I was very curious was where Wiki described how he was some kind of stellar, honors student at Oxford but wound up failing his theology exam. It sent him down a detour for years. He had to take low-paying teaching and tutoring jobs to make a living. Sorta like the protagonist in Waugh's 'Decline and Fall'. Mystifying: when you're the best student in school, how do you fail your final exams?

message 4: by Miss M (new)

Miss M | 118 comments Just a small note, but I do not think the diva would care for you getting his name wrong. :D

(He does sound intriguing, though, will take a look at the wiki.)

message 5: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Is there a letter out of place somewhere? Eh, my apologies to his shade... :\

message 6: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1525 comments It is Gerard Manley Hopkins if I recall correctly from poetry class.

message 7: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Oh those Brits.