Never Too Old For Y.A. & N.A. Books discussion

On The Bridge: The Complete Gretchen Thyrd Novella
This topic is about On The Bridge
Read 4 Review #77 - On The Bridge: The Complete Gretchen Thyrd Novella (Closed)

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marni (last edited Sep 17, 2013 03:10PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marni (wonderwmn999) | 3578 comments The group would like to welcome back author Jason T. Graves for a Read 4 Review of his novella On The Bridge The Complete Gretchen Thyrd Novella by Jason T. Graves On The Bridge: The Complete Gretchen Thyrd Novella.

Gretchen Thyrd stands on the threshold: of adulthood, of independence, of love, of madness…

Gretchen is definitely not an average teenage girl. A free-spirited orphan with two foster moms, she spends many of her days rescuing and nurturing injured birds and animals, including some that are a bit otherworldly. Her pleasant life is turned upside down when a friendly 'tree spirit' faces a life-threatening crisis--a crisis that requires a potentially sacrificial commitment from Gretchen. Soon afterwards, she is visited by a mysterious and seriously ugly childman and three bone-white and beautiful vampire wannabes decked out in black leather and deadly attitude.

Whom should she trust? As the net of their conflicting interests constricts around her, she is unexpectedly plucked from their grasp by a man whose intentions may be the darkest of them all. In the end, she finds herself running from everything she has ever known, into an uncertain future, bearing the fate of her beloved 'tree spirit,' as well as her own survival, by the thinnest of threads.

eBook, 122 pages

The author will be giving out 10 copies in epub and mobi formats. To request, please post your email address and the format you would like. It is your responsibility to check for the book and download it. It is also your responsibility to contact me immediately if you do not receive the book or have a problem. In exchange for the free book, the author requests an honest review of their book not just on Goodreads, but also on Amazon USA, UK, and any of your blogs or reviewing sites. Once you are finished with your review and have posted it on Goodreads, you are REQUIRED to post your Goodreads link to it on this thread.

Even though this book is being gifted to you please do not share it with anyone. It is unethical, disrespectful and illegal to share books provided to you for reviews.

Further Info from the group, not the author: If you do not complete the e-book within the time given, and you do not post your link on this thread or I do not hear from you stating that you intend to finish and review the book, you will not be allowed to participate in future Read 4 Review events. This is to prevent people from getting complimentary books over and over without fulfilling their obligation.

Do not message me nor the author requesting the book. All info is to be posted here. This for the ease of the author and the mods and fairness to all. If you do not wish to share your email publicly, please do not request.

If there are any other authors looking to do this with our group, please message me. You MUST be willing to provide copies, free of charge, to the reviewers.

REVIEWERS: PLEASE read the topic titled "Reviewers." All the rules are listed under there. We will not allow any excuses of "I didn't know" because the rules are listed and if you have any questions you can always message me. http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

Links to find the book for posting reviews:

Amazon US: http://www.amazon.com/Bridge-Complete...

Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/On-The-Bridge...

Deadline for review is 11:59pm EST on 9/17/13 (September 17th).

THE AUTHOR REQUESTS THAT YOU POST YOUR REVIEW TO AMAZON!

Reviewers:

1. Purpinkrose: s-wright14@sky.com mobi COMPLETED
2. Rebecca: legends@gnarledroots.com mobi COMPLETED
3. Marni: mljarman@comcast.net epub COMPLETED
4. Heidi: redneckhudson@frontier.com mobi COMPLETED
5. Alayne: alayne358@gmail.com mobi COMPLETED

Marni (wonderwmn999) | 3578 comments Hey reviewers...where's everyone at? Jason is an awesome author and all around great guy. Let's show him some love!

Purpinkrose | 150 comments Hi Marni, I'd love to review Jason's book
s-wright14@sky.com
Kindle

Rebecca Porter (trolltails) Hi Marni, this sounds really interesting. I'd love to review it.
legends@gnarledroots.com
for kindle

message 5: by Marni (last edited Aug 28, 2013 06:49AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marni (wonderwmn999) | 3578 comments I'm going to request too :)

Heidi I wi
redneckhudson@frontier.com
mobile
please

Rebecca Porter (trolltails) I don't mean to be thick, but is the book delivered to my kindle account, or will it come via email. This is the first time that I've done this.

Marni (wonderwmn999) | 3578 comments Rebecca wrote: "I don't mean to be thick, but is the book delivered to my kindle account, or will it come via email. This is the first time that I've done this."

It will be delivered to your email. They haven't gone out yet. I'm also waiting.

Rebecca Porter (trolltails) Thanks Marni, I'll catch on as I go along.

message 10: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Graves (cleverfoilhat) | 102 comments Hey, everyone! Thanks for your interest! I will send the files in a short time :)

Alayne (ozcopilot) I'll have a go at reviewing it.

alayne358@gmail.com

Alayne (ozcopilot) I need a mobi copy (sorry - forgot to say :-()

message 13: by Jason (last edited Aug 28, 2013 07:25PM) (new) - added it

Jason Graves (cleverfoilhat) | 102 comments I have sent out files to all approved requesters.

I wrote On the Bridge after I had finished my first novel (Blood Roses), but before the novel was published. The story of OtB--or rather, the character of Gretchen Thyrd--came to me in a dream, and I was captivated by this strong, independent girl who lives this extraordinary life. I wrote the first part in four days (not counting editing), and self-published it as a serial novella. Hence, OtB was my first foray into self-publishing on Amazon, and gave me the confidence to self-publish Blood Roses.

It is a story that still touches me and many of my readers. The usual response from readers upon finishing the novella is: "MORE!"

I can tell y'all that a Gretchen Thyrd novel is planned, but I do not know when it will be written, let alone published. The novella ends EXACTLY as I planned it to, but I did add an epilogue to help wrap up the narrative.

I sincerely hope that you enjoy my 'little' story!

Cheers!
Jason

Purpinkrose | 150 comments Jason wrote: "I have sent out files to all approved requesters.

I wrote On the Bridge after I had finished my first novel (Blood Roses), but before the novel was published. The story of OtB--or rather, the cha..."

Jason, I'm sure this story will be just as awesome as Blood Roses, I am looking forward to this book

message 17: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Graves (cleverfoilhat) | 102 comments Alayne, the Mobi file has been sent!

Purpinkrose, thank you! You rock!

Rebecca, thank you for your incredibly kind and insightful review! I see that you are also an author of fey stories--how awesome! I will definitely check out your work :)

Heidi, thank you! I appreciate your thoughtful review of On the Bridge. I am thrilled that you enjoyed it!

message 18: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Graves (cleverfoilhat) | 102 comments I caught this a couple of days ago and one of the reviewers commented on the change in tense in one sentence toward the end of the book. There were also a few other artifacts in the book that don't belong there... the bane of self publishing. Mea culpa.

I'm glad that everyone so far has enjoyed it!

May I ask one last favor? When the novel is written, do you think it should incorporate the novella, or stand alone of the (soon to be corrected) novella, as a sequel?

message 19: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Graves (cleverfoilhat) | 102 comments The link to Alayne's review:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Rebecca Porter (trolltails) Hi Jason. I've been thinking about this. OtB is so strong in itself, but I would think also imperative to the forthcoming novel. Who Gretchen was in the beginning and who is at the end is so different. That I have a counter proposal. What if you offered a novel moving forward and a free or 99 cent OtB as the precursor.
What I'm trying to say is that OtB would seem to be imperative to understanding the arc of the story.
Just my opinion, and I hope it helps.

Marni (wonderwmn999) | 3578 comments Here's my link: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

On to Jason's question: I feel it should be a prequel to the novel. I would like a bit of expansion on Gretchen parentage in the beginning though. You wouldn't have to say anything about him being fae, but maybe just a touch into the madness both parents had, their meeting, etc.

Thanks again for allowing me to read this!

Heidi I would have to agree with Marni.

message 23: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Graves (cleverfoilhat) | 102 comments Thanks for your feedback!

Marni (wonderwmn999) | 3578 comments Deadline for review is 11:59pm EST on 9/17/13 (September 17th).

Marni (wonderwmn999) | 3578 comments 9 1/2 hours left until deadline.

Purpinkrose | 150 comments Here is my review which I have also left reviews on the sites the author has requested.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

On to the Author question. This should be a stand alone and a prequel to the next book. Also maybe a bit of history on Gretchens parents.

Thank you Jason for giving me this chance to read another one of your books.

message 27: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Graves (cleverfoilhat) | 102 comments Thanks, everyone! I appreciate your reviews!

message 28: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Graves (cleverfoilhat) | 102 comments Rebecca wrote: "Hi Jason. I've been thinking about this. OtB is so strong in itself, but I would think also imperative to the forthcoming novel. Who Gretchen was in the beginning and who is at the end is so differ..."

Rebecca,

That is an interesting counter proposal :) I'm not averse to dropping the price a little, and maybe giving it away for free for a period of time. We'll see.

What do you think of Blood Roses? I saw that you were reading it.

Cheers!
Jason

Marni (wonderwmn999) | 3578 comments 100% completion and early at that! Thank you to the reviewers and THANK YOU to Jason for providing his work to us!

message 30: by Jason (last edited Sep 17, 2013 08:46PM) (new) - added it

Jason Graves (cleverfoilhat) | 102 comments Marni wrote: "100% completion and early at that! Thank you to the reviewers and THANK YOU to Jason for providing his work to us!"

Haha, yay! You're welcome! I feel loved :)