Mr. G Language Arts 2013-14 discussion

What are some of the saddest books you've ever read, and WHY do you think they made you so sad?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janice (new)

Janice H (JaniceHSFS) | 4 comments What are some of the saddest books you've ever read and why? Can you describe some of the scenes or the general plot?

message 2: by Noel (new)

Noel (noellsfs) | 5 comments The Boy in the Striped Pajamas: This book takes place in Germany during the Holocaust and is about a boy who's father is a high ranked officer in Hitler's army. One day, the boy wanted to explore the new place his family moved to (for accommodating the lieutenant's needs.) The boy stumbled upon a concentration camp and befriended another boy, about his age, that looked like he was dressed in striped pajamas.
Eventually, the German boy does something stupid and dies with the pajama boy in a poison gas chamber. The end.

message 3: by Laurenn (new)

Laurenn | 1 comments Marley and Me: This was at first happy but towards the end, it got really emotional. It's about and man and women that want to get a dog and they find Marley. This dog is crazy. He eats anything that he finds. The man and women start a family and things go out of control. Towards the end, everyone loves this dog. At the end of this book something bad happens. I don't want to ruin the ending for some of you who haven't read it but it made me cry.

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren  (LaurenLL) | 3 comments The Fault in Our Stars: The main character of this book is a survivor of cancer, but she constantly needs support because her lungs don't work properly. She is too weak for a transplant, so the only way is to carry an oxygen tank around with her wherever she goes. She eventually becomes depressed, having no friends, never going anywhere, and just sitting at home all day. One day, she goes to her weekly support group, and meets this boy name Augustus Waters. He is also cancer free, but he has lost his leg. They eventually fall in love, but Augustus gets cancer again, and it is almost definite that he will die. I won't spoil it, but it was a really sad ending.

message 5: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Shin (NateSSFS) | 5 comments Young Samurai: Way of the Dragon.
Jack is fighting a daimyo who wants foreigners dead and his friends and sensei are dying. His archenemy dies at the cost of his closest friend and his foster father is banished, they lose the battle, and if that isn't worse enough, he has to leave the girl he likes

message 6: by Kaila (new)

Kaila L | 3 comments Laurenn wrote: "Marley and Me: This was at first happy but towards the end, it got really emotional. It's about and man and women that want to get a dog and they find Marley. This dog is crazy. He eats anything th..."

I agree! That was the best book I've ever read.

message 7: by Kaila (new)

Kaila L | 3 comments Black Beauty
It is about a horse that has a great young life, but towards the end, the horse goes through some very hard times. Then, right when the horse is about to give up, something gives him strength... You will have to read the book to find out what gave Black Beauty his strength. But, the book makes you cry, laugh, and smile.

message 8: by Erina S (last edited Sep 12, 2013 06:19PM) (new)

Erina S (erinas) | 4 comments The Crossing
This book may seem quite short, but the story seems to last forever. The story takes place in Mexico, where an abandoned child must survive everyday on his own. Then, he meets a soldier, who takes care of him. Towards the end, something devastating happens, with an ending that is both reassuring, yet very depressing. The Crossing will make you emotional, but the overall plot is intriguing.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, definitely. I think this story is so sad because its the cold hard truth about having cancer. All the emotion in this book is so raw and truthful. I think what makes this one of the saddest books that i've ever read is that the love in this story makes you want to jump up and laugh, but the sadness and the struggle of the characters makes you want to give up on life. John Green, he is the genius that can make us feel happy until we think it couldn't get any better, and then like plane falling from the sky, he destroys that happiness in a ball of fire and broken hearts.

message 10: by Ashley (new)

Ashley C (AshleyCSFS) | 2 comments The Last Song
This book was a rather a sad and gloomy book. It's basically about a family whose parents got divorced, and the children had to go live with the dad for the summer. At first, things didn't go smoothly, but during the five weeks, they children and dad somehow bond together. Later, the dad's health turns to go downhill, and it was a very sad and depressing moment. I also watched the movie (The Last Song by Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth), and both in the movie and the book, I cried too much. :(