The Malazan Fallen discussion

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1 comments Has anyone noticed the horrible release schedule for the audio books? 2 a year till 2016...

message 2: by Eddie (new)

Eddie Costello | 56 comments I know right, it's completely horrible it's not like they have to wait for the series to be finished.

message 3: by Reinoud (new)

Reinoud (fitzzz) | 1 comments There are already audiobooks right?

message 4: by Rob, Quick Ben (new)

Rob (robzak) | 1054 comments Mod
The put the first 3 or 4 out pretty quickly. I'm surprised it slowed down so much. I think Gardens of the Moon was only released last December.

This doesn't really seems like a good series for audiobook anyways. Too much going on. I need to re-read too often.

message 5: by Eddie (new)

Eddie Costello | 56 comments House of chains is released in audiobook in December I believe and gardens came out last October I wanna say but ye they are slowing down tremendously like 2 a year I think

message 6: by Rob, Quick Ben (new)

Ah yeah, you're right. According to Audible anyways:

GotM: 10-03-12
DG: 02-22-13
MoI: 03-28-13

message 7: by Matt (new)

Matt (hypnos164) | 1 comments Listening to Gardens of the Moon at the minute (couple of hours a day while driving) - maybe 20% through it.

I have read the whole series once through, but its been a lot of years since GotM.

It works way better in audio form than I would have thought possible although a lot of my "mental" pronunciations of races and places don't quite agree with what, I assume, are the checked and correct versions.

The reader does a good job of giving the characters distinct sounding voices without going to the extremes of regional accents that Roy Dotrice uses for GRRM.

I sometimes miss being able to look at the glossary or skim through a previous chapter in light of a new revelation.

On the other hand the audio makes you go with the flow and just let the story unfold without "over thinking" which provides some freshness.

Definitely going to get more of the audios.

message 8: by Becky  (new)

Becky  (nvrayn) | 6 comments Rob wrote: "This doesn't really seems like a good series for aud..."

This series is a lot to absorb when listening to the audio version. I am listening to the audio and reading the ebook, at the same time. Sometimes I need to actually "read" a section to wrap my head around it. It uses a different part of my brain, I guess. I also like to listen to chapters more then once. I listen in an interrupted environment, so I spend a lot of time relistening. This is my first read through, so I don't mind rewinding. But, It is nice to have the printed version to fall back on. I'm a ways into MoI, and I think it's the last audio available right now. So, I'll be on my own with the Ebooks. Problem is, I will then start another audiobook and have two books to keep track of. So many books, so little time...

message 9: by Becky  (new)

Becky  (nvrayn) | 6 comments Just a hint for Audible listeners... Before you buy the Audible version, look it up on Amazon, many times if you purchase the Kindle Whispersync version, you can get a much better price on the Audible version and have both in your library, with access to the maps and extra goodies. If you don't have a Kindle, as the case is with me, you can just download the App to an iPad, PC, even your smartphone. I have a Nook, but read using the Nook app on my iPad. My poor Nook-Color, is lonely.

message 10: by Deano (new)

Deano | 41 comments I can't find this on whisper sync
Any one seen it anywhere??

message 11: by Rob, Quick Ben (new)

It's not whispersync eligible as far as I can tell. At least I don't see an indication on audible that it is.

message 12: by Deano (new)

Deano | 41 comments Only the second book on audible says about it but Amazon kindle books don't ??

message 13: by The_brein (new)

The_brein | 7 comments Audiobook is the only way to go for me! Ralph Lister does an amazing job.

message 14: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 9 comments All the book are now out on audio and available. None of the side projects yet. Michael Page takes over for Lister from book 4 & on and takes a while to get use to.

message 15: by The_brein (new)

The_brein | 7 comments That sucks. Lister was doing such a great job. Is page good? Also, not sure if this is Lister or Audible.com, but there seems to be no pauses between scenes.

message 16: by Rob, Quick Ben (new)

I've liked Page for other things. No idea how he is for Malazan specifically though.

message 17: by Stephen (last edited Oct 20, 2015 03:09PM) (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 9 comments Page's voice, for me, is a little too light for the gravity of Mazalan, but I have gotten use to it by book 8. But I remember feeling the job should have gone to James Clamp who did Mark Lawrence's Broken Empire series and he sounds like Lister. Still it is great to have it all in audio now as I often listen while I read. I don't get as lost as before.

message 18: by The_brein (new)

The_brein | 7 comments hmmmm. I nominate Roy Dotrice for a re-read!!!

message 19: by Deano (new)

Deano | 41 comments Roy ??? Your having a laugh after what he did to Khellesi

message 20: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 9 comments I am use to Roy Dotrice, but I really wanted the Wheel of Time duo to do Song of Ice & Fire.