Cozy Mysteries discussion

Find a book or series > Carnival Themed Cozies?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by KC (new)

KC (heynowkc) Anyone know of any good cozies set in/around a carnival/fair/circus? I just read Stephen King's latest (not horror, surprisingly) Joyland and it reminded me how much I love those types of settings. Spooky would be fine. Or even Halloween-ish. I am new to the concept of cozies, but any recommendations you have that might not be "strictly" cozies would be ok with me too.

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen I just finished that one also, but it is the only one I know of set in an amusement park. I have seen a series set in a fair, but they did not sound like the kind of cozy mystery I like. Maybe someone else will know the name of them.

message 3: by Barb (new)

Barb | 1036 comments There's a new series by Shelley Freydont that seems to be centered around fairs and community celebrations. The first one is Foul Play at the Fair. The second one, Silent Knife, is due out next week.

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) It's only one is a (excellent) series, but Hen of the Baskervilles takes place at a county fair.

message 5: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 19722 comments Mod
Earlene Fowler has one set at a fair as well: State Fair (Benni Harper #14).

message 6: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (lynnali) | 524 comments It's only one book in the series, but Kerry Greenwood's Blood and Circuses is set in a circus around Melbourne, Victoria in the 1920's.

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (finegael) | 283 comments One of the Agatha Raisin stories took place around the town fete (I think Pig was in the title)....Gonna have to look that one up.

message 8: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 19722 comments Mod
Joyce and Jim Lavene also have a Renaissance Faire Mystery series -- if that sort of fair interests you.

message 9: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 2445 comments Two Calamity Jayne books fit your criteria Calamity Jayne Rides Again Calamity Jayne Rides Again (Calamity Jayne Mystery, #2) by Kathleen Bacus is set in the Iowa State Fair and Ghouls Just Want to Have Fun Ghouls Just Want to Have Fun (Calamity Jayne Mystery, #3) by Kathleen Bacus is set during Halloween. Also To Fetch a Thief To Fetch a Thief (A Chet and Bernie Mystery, #3) by Spencer Quinn is set in a circus.

Mystereity Reviews (mystereity) The fifth Murder by Month book, September Fair, takes place at a state fair. The whole series is great, too!

September Fair (Murder-by-Month Mystery #5) by Jess Lourey

message 11: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 1576 comments Mod
Heather L wrote: "Joyce and Jim Lavene also have a Renaissance Faire Mystery series -- if that sort of fair interests you."

Thank you Heather. I hadn't heard of this series. I just ordered 2 off PBS and put the other 3 on my wishlist. I used to participate in the SCA, which does medieval re-enactments. (Same as Renaissance Faires except ours aren't open to the public.)

message 12: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 1576 comments Mod
Heidi *Listen. I'll just keep talking anyway. * wrote: "Two Calamity Jayne books fit your criteria Calamity Jayne Rides AgainCalamity Jayne Rides Again (Calamity Jayne Mystery, #2) by Kathleen Bacus is set in the Iowa State Fair and Ghouls Just Want to Have Fun[bookcover:Ghouls J..."

Thanks Heidi. I went to the Iowa State Fair a couple years ago. I only have one in this series and it isn't that one. I went ahead and put it on my PBS wishlist as well. (Why not... I have 23 credits to use.)

message 13: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 2445 comments ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ wrote: "Heidi *Listen. I'll just keep talking anyway. * wrote: "Two Calamity Jayne books fit your criteria Calamity Jayne Rides AgainCalamity Jayne Rides Again (Calamity Jayne Mystery, #2) by Kathleen Bacus is set in the Iowa State ..."

I hope you like it if you get it! I really liked that one.

message 14: by Kate (new)

Kate (kate28) | 141 comments Key Lime Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #9) by Joanne Fluke comes to mind. The dead body is even found on a carnival ride if I remember correctly, and there are lots of spooky, after hours scenes at the fair in that one too. There's also A Killer Maize (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #4) by Paige Shelton which I haven't read yet but it seems to take place at a fall carnival.

message 15: by KC (new)

KC (heynowkc) Oh wow! Thanks everyone. These all look awesome!

message 16: by Nell (last edited Aug 29, 2013 06:32AM) (new)

Nell | 1172 comments Margaret Maron sets one of her Deborah Knott mysteries at a carnival, Slow Dollar.
Slow Dollar (Deborah Knott Mysteries #9) by Margaret Maron