Ask Nenia Campbell discussion

Social chats > What are you reading right now?

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell (neniacampbell) | 213 comments Mod
I'm reading:

Sundiver (The Uplift Saga, #1) by David Brin

message 2: by Angela (new)

Angela | 17 comments Reading Wishing Stars Space Opera Fairytales by Nenia Campbell . I started over because it's been way too long since I first started. Reading Clockwork Roses now. :D

Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell (neniacampbell) | 213 comments Mod
Angela (: wrote: "Reading Wishing Stars Space Opera Fairytales by Nenia Campbell. I started over because it's been way too long since I first started. Reading Clockwork Roses now. :D"

Oooooh. I had a lot of fun writing that one. :D

message 4: by Angela (new)

Angela | 17 comments It's good, Nenia. Like really good. But equally weird. (Not a bad thing, I promise.)

Heh. I get that a lot. It's ok. Even if you don't like it, I will still heart you. I promise! <3

message 6: by Angela (new)

Angela | 17 comments But I like it, so you should heart me more. ;D

I do! I do heart you more!

message 8: by Angela (new)

Angela | 17 comments <3

message 10: by Kristin (last edited Aug 26, 2013 07:42PM) (new)

Kristin (kristin531) Way too many things, because I keep starting books before I finish the other ones >.> But I just started The Vanished Man (Lincoln Rhyme, #5) by Jeffery Deaver

Oooh. The Lincoln Rhyme series! Those books are so scary!

message 12: by Kristin (last edited Aug 27, 2013 07:29PM) (new)

Kristin (kristin531) I haven't read any of the others, but this one didn't really pick up until halfway through. I'm liking it a lot better than American Gods by Neil Gaiman , though. Can't seem to get through that one.

You know, I wasn't a fan of American Gods either - though I did really like Anansi Boys and Neverwhere. :/

This one will make you afraid to do anything on the internet ever:

The Broken Window (Lincoln Rhyme, #8) by Jeffery Deaver

message 14: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (kristin531) I meant to read Neverwhere instead because we have a copy , but it went missing in a closet somewhere. I like the other stuff by Gaiman I've read, but not American Gods.

I almost bought that one the other day. I'll have to actually go pick it up.

message 15: by Abdul (new)

Abdul | 46 comments Dirk Gently's Detective Agency. On page 20. Stuck in low gear, having problems ramping up.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I started “The Winter King” by Bernard Cornwell. I’m also shadow reading “Tinker” by Wen Spencer.

Shadow reading is a horrid habit, but keeps me relatively out of trouble. ;)

Oooh, I hear Dirk Gently is good. I love "The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul's" title.

Are those fantasy novels, Loki? Also, what's shadow reading?

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 28, 2013 09:21AM) (new)

Nenia wrote: "Are those fantasy novels, Loki? Also, what's shadow reading?"

The Winter King is fantasy mixed with historical fiction. Tinker is science fiction/urban fantasy.

When you read multiple books at one time, my English teacher called that shadow reading. I don’t know if anyone else uses that term or if it’s her own. :)

message 19: by Abdul (new)

Abdul | 46 comments Nenia wrote: "Oooh, I hear Dirk Gently is good. I love "The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul's"

One, a young man, was tall, thin and angular; even muffled inside a heavy dark coat he walked a little like an affronted heron. The other was small, roundish, and moved with an ungainly restlessness, like a number of elderly squirrels trying to escape from a sack.

:-) ... I don't know how he comes up with this squirrel thing ... anyways, there are not much sci-fi books in the libraries here. But they do have Douglas Adams Hitchhiker and Orwell's 1984/Animal Farm.

I just read a book that kind of reminded me of Douglas Adams' style.

Chess With A Dragon by David Gerrold

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Abdul wrote: "One, a young man, was tall, thin and angular; even muffled inside a heavy dark coat he walked a little like an affronted heron. The other was small, roundish, and moved with an ungainly restlessness, like a number of elderly squirrels trying to escape from a sack."

The squirrel bit has intrigued me. I may have to read this one. :)

message 22: by Abdul (last edited Aug 28, 2013 11:05AM) (new)

Abdul | 46 comments Nenia wrote: "I just read a book that kind of reminded me of Douglas Adams' style.

Chess With A Dragon by David Gerrold"

All-right. I'll look it up in our itty bitty library here. :-)

message 23: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (cowmingo) I'm reading What Doesn't Kill Her: A Thriller It's a netgalley and I'm actually pretty hooked on it with no time to sit and read uninterrupted until later today. So close to finishing!

Oooooh. I'm trying to stay off Netgalley atm but keep us posted! It sounds intriguing!

message 25: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (cowmingo) It was really good! A bit open ended for my liking. I'm hoping for a sequel but I'm not really sure what that would look like.

message 26: by Jack (new)

Jack Chaucer (httpgoodreadscomjack_chaucer) I'm reading "It Happened in Connecticut." Fascinating historical anecdotes about my current home state. It Happened in Connecticut by Diana Ross McCain

message 27: by Abdul (new)

Abdul | 46 comments Woo hooo!!! I've finished Dirk Gently. A week almost to finish it.

I've just received two art books for review!

One is about decorated doors in NYC. The other consists of bizarre independent movie posters. :D

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Nenia wrote: "I've just received two art books for review!

Lucky.... :(

<3

I'm a crazy reader. I'm surprised they still let me have books for review after the months of hiatus I took. LOL.

message 31: by Abdul (new)

Abdul | 46 comments Just finished White Oleander. Wow! ... now starting Remains of The Day.

message 32: by Abdul (new)

Abdul | 46 comments Nenia wrote: "I've just received two art books for review!

One is about decorated doors in NYC. The other consists of bizarre independent movie posters. :D"

Both with lots of pics? Fast read?

message 33: by Angela (new)

Angela | 17 comments Nenia wrote: "I've just received two art books for review!

One is about decorated doors in NYC. The other consists of bizarre independent movie posters. :D"

Decorated doors? I live in NYC and I can't say I've seen much of decorated doors.

message 34: by Abdul (new)

Abdul | 46 comments Just finished Remains of the Day. Another sad sad book.

Angela (: wrote: "Nenia wrote: "I've just received two art books for review!

Decorated doors? I live in NYC and I c..."

Do you live in the super urban parts? A lot of these look like they were taken around the more artsy-fartsy areas.

message 36: by Abdul (new)

Abdul | 46 comments Finished reading Jane Eyre. Oh boy! I cried, I laughed. In the middle of "tear"ing up, she would insert a rat, and I'd laughed again. I thought it would be a boring book. One of the best I've read so far. Near the end, I dreaded that she would go to india and become a missionary's wife. At the same time I also dread that Mr. Rochester would not be a good husband to her because he had mistresses before. What and ending. Thank you Nenia (i read it coz you said it was one your favorite book in your interview).

message 37: by Abdul (new)

Abdul | 46 comments Also, I'm trying to learn french and that bit where Adele Varens talked in french helps me learn a little bit more, thats besides conversing with my French-Canadian friend Siri. :-)

Veronica-Lynn Pit Bull I'm re-reading Dark Journey A Novel of Horror by A.R. Morlan

I read it almost 20 years ago and enjoyed it enough to put it on my keeper shelf. I went to re-read it a few days ago and discovered that the print had magically shrunk while it sat on my shelf. (Imagine my surprise) and then just as surprisingly I found it on kindle - surprising because it really is an obscure little gem.

From what I remember it's a long and twisted tale of terror that spans over 3 generations.

message 39: by Angela (new)

Angela | 17 comments I started The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot and also reading All the Truth That's In Me by Julie Berry

Oooooh. Henrietta Lacks is awesome!

I'm reading The Big U by Neal Stephenson

College satire in the style of Catch-22. LOVE.

message 41: by Abdul (new)

Abdul | 46 comments Just finished another Kazuo Ishiguro book. Sigh ... Now reading "Confession of an Economic Hit Man". I have to figure out how to get that cover/picture thingy to appear. Hold on a sec ... dum de dum ...

message 42: by Abdul (last edited Oct 12, 2013 09:29PM) (new)

Abdul | 46 comments Last book was Heir Apparent.

Funny :-) .

Now about to read Looking for Alaska by John Green.

Couldn't find the cancer book in our itty bitty library here.

message 43: by Abdul (last edited Oct 12, 2013 09:22PM) (new)

Abdul | 46 comments Ok. I give up. Whats the html code to insert the little book pics.
need backslash? Hah!! Got it!!