Ask Nenia Campbell discussion

Social chats > What are five cool things about you?

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell (neniacampbell) | 213 comments Mod
1. I speak (semi) fluent Spanish.
2. I once fell asleep upside-down.
3. I can type 100 WPM.
4. I used to live in the UK.
5. I have been looking for a real job for two years. *bites economy* It tastes like despair and failure! D:

message 2: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (kristin531) 1. I'm in color guard (except I'm actually really bad at it, so maybe that's not cool).
2. I used to be in Power of the Pen (basically a short story writing competition in Ohio- you get a prompt and have 40 minutes to write on it) and made it to state both years and even placed a couple of times along the way.
3. I'm going to college next year! That's a scary thought.
4. I may or may not have a collection of Harry Potter and Doctor Who merchandise that continues to grow even if I really should stop spending money on it...
5. I travel a lot.

Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell (neniacampbell) | 213 comments Mod
Oooh, I think color guard is cool. I used to be in marching band, so I got to see a lot of the color guard in action. Did you use flags or rifles? :D

Ooh! A fellow writer, I see! :D Sounds like you did a damn good job. Are you going to mention that on your college apps? What are you majoring in?

That's super cool. I have a collection of Pikachu/vintage MLP stuff, so I really can't judge. ;)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Nenia wrote: "1. I speak (semi) fluent Spanish.
3. I can type 100 WPM.
5. I have been looking for a real job for two years. *bites economy* It tast..."

How in the world did you fall asleep upside down?

message 5: by Abdul (new)

Abdul | 46 comments 1 - I taught myself to fly airplanes and helicopters by reading books. No instructors. Really!!
2- I have several cool old film cameras. (Hopefully "cool"ness of cameras transfers to me)
3- Me and Nelson Mandela have something in common.
4- Caught a big catfish once and ate it.
5- Je suis gauche? French is so cool. (Ok I don't know french)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

1). Marking pages by “dog ear” drives me nuts, so I have 75+ book marks. I guess I collect them.

2). I craft A LOT. Everything from acrylic painting to Perler beads (the ones that fuse when ironed) to tooling leather. The current project is a leather Kindle case for a friend’s birthday and it’s giving me fits!!!

3). The work needed on my vehicles gets done by me, the only thing I don’t do is the paint. :)

4). English was not my first language, even though I’m a 3rd generation American citizen.

5). I am hopelessly addicted to Food Network and kitty pictures!

message 7: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (kristin531) Nenia wrote: "Oooh, I think color guard is cool. I used to be in marching band, so I got to see a lot of the color guard in action. Did you use flags or rifles? :D

Ooh! A fellow writer, I see! :D Sounds like yo..."

Oh, really? What'd you play? I'm a rookie on flag, and I sat out of practice tonight because I hit myself in the face and bled everywhere. Our first football game is this friday, so that's not looking very good.

I probably could mention it now that I think about it. I haven't even filled out any applications yet, but we're working on the essays in my English class. For a while I planned to major in photography, but now I'm thinking either psychology or computer sciences of some sort.

I also have a collection of owls. Not real ones, of course, although if I could have one as a pet, I probably would...

My sister is also an avid collector of owls. (:

I played C flute for about ten years in school, piccolo for two, and alto flute for four. I don't really play much anymore though.

Eeek - that sounds painful. I'm sorry! Feel better.

Applications are a huge pain but you'll be super glad when all is said and done. I wish you the best! <3

Loki wrote: "1). Marking pages by “dog ear” drives me nuts, so I have 75+ book marks. I guess I collect them.

2). I craft A LOT. Everything from acrylic painting to Perler beads (the ones that fuse when ironed..."

You would hate the way I treat my books. I put them face-down and use them as coasters haha.

Ooooh, that crafting sounds really cool.

What was your first language?

Abdul wrote: "1 - I taught myself to fly airplanes and helicopters by reading books. No instructors. Really!!
2- I have several cool old film cameras. (Hopefully "cool"ness of cameras transfers to me)
3- Me and ..."

That's so cool. What do you and Mandela have in common?

message 11: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (kristin531) Nenia wrote: "My sister is also an avid collector of owls. (:

I played C flute for about ten years in school, piccolo for two, and alto flute for four. I don't really play much anymore though.

Eeek - that soun..."

That's cool. I used to play the clarinet, but I was never very good at it.

I've been icing it, so hopefully it won't swell up or anything. I'm actually really lucky I didn't break it.

Yeah, I'll be glad when I don't have to worry about them anymore. I'm only applying at two places, and they both use the Common App, so it shouldn't be horrible. I'm mostly worried about keeping the essay under 650 words. Thanks!

message 12: by Abdul (new)

Abdul | 46 comments Nenia wrote: "... What do yo and Mandela have in common"

<-- drat!! Had to retype the above.

Secret. Telling it be uncool. :-)

message 13: by Abdul (new)

Abdul | 46 comments Nenia wrote: "My sister is also an avid collector of owls"

How do I start an owl collection?

message 14: by Abdul (new)

Abdul | 46 comments Kristin wrote: "... I used to play the clarinet ..."

<-- drat!! Had to retype all the above too!!

Ahem ... ashamed to admit that I played the clarinet too. Don't know how to read musical scores though. Just played by "blue blue, green, red, blue, grey grey ... " I sucked.

The band master didn't give me a manly instrument like a trombone, baritone or saxophone coz I was skinny and small. :-(

message 15: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (kristin531) My owl collection includes stuffed animals, little figures, a painting, and something like a piggy bank, except it's an owl.

I am also skinny and small, but I didn't play in marching band, so I played the bass clarinet for a little while too. I couldn't do anything faster than eighth notes, though, and that was kind of a problem.

message 16: by Abdul (new)

Abdul | 46 comments Kristin wrote: "My owl collection includes stuffed animals, little figures, a painting, and something like a piggy bank, except it's an owl.

I am also skinny and small, but I didn't play in marching band, so I p..."

Now I'm confused ... are you Nenia's sister?

I assume the bass clarinet is bigger than a regular clarinet? Hence more manly? Luckily the bandmaster didn't assign me the triangle. ;-0 During my days, the marching bands were like the british military bands, meaning the all walk forward. Nowadays, you have to walk like a crab, sideways, backwards etc. Give me a triangle anyday if I had to march in reverse. Ha!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

" Nenia wrote: You would hate the way I treat my books. I put them face-down and use them as coasters haha.

Ooooh, that crafting sounds really cool.

What was your first language?
"

This will be the LAST time I agree to make a MLP gift, it’s a rainbow nightmare. LOL

My first language is German. I will revert sometimes, so please forgive me! My favorite is Spanish, it always surprises people. :)

message 18: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (kristin531) Abdul wrote: "I assume the bass clarinet is bigger than a regular clarinet? Hence more manly? Luckily the bandmaster didn't assign me the triangle."

Haha, the bass clarinet was almost as tall as I was. I never would have been able to play it if I couldn't sit down to do it. Trying to walk backwards through band members while spinning a six-foot pole is definitely not on my list of favorite things to do. It's a miracle I haven't taken anyone out yet.

message 19: by Abdul (new)

Abdul | 46 comments Kristin wrote: "Abdul wrote: "I assume the bass clarinet is bigger than a regular clarinet? Hence more manly? Luckily the bandmaster didn't assign me the triangle."

Haha, the bass clarinet was almost as tall as I..."

Talking about woodwind instruments, I remember a song by the group "The Dream Academy" called "Life in a Northern Town". There was a pretty lady playing the oboe. What a haunting melody.

I love this song!

message 20: by Abdul (new)

Abdul | 46 comments Loki wrote: "1). Marking pages by “dog ear” drives me nuts, so I have 75+ book marks. I guess I collect them.

2). I craft A LOT. Everything from acrylic painting to Perler beads (the ones that fuse when ironed..."

I had to google Perler beads. :-) Cool.

message 21: by Anna (new)

Anna (annamatsuyama) | 27 comments 1. I learned to read in Russian because I wanted to read The Lord of the Rings.
2. Sometimes I eat raw chicken liver with raw onion and spices.
3. My paternal grandmother survived The Siege of Leningrad.
4. I could speak Romani when I was a child.
5. I don't smoke & drink. *Ok, I might have a drink few times in a year.

That's so cool, Anna!

#5, me too! I'm a total blast at parties. xD

message 23: by Abdul (new)

Abdul | 46 comments Anna wrote: "1. I learned to read in Russian because I wanted to read The Lord of the Rings.
2. Sometimes I eat raw chicken liver with raw onion and spices.
3. My paternal grandmother survived The Siege of Le..."

I can eat raw onions and raw chillies, raw garlic, he he. But raw chicken liver, ;-0 ... eek! But I have eaten brains though. Creamy, yum yum.

I've eaten raw fish, including raw squid. Mmmm. Sashimi.

message 25: by Anna (new)

Anna (annamatsuyama) | 27 comments Abdul wrote: "I can eat raw onions and raw chillies, raw garlic, he he. But raw chicken liver, ;-0 ... eek! But I have eaten brains though. Creamy, yum yum. "

I've eaten brains too. Tasty.
I often eat raw garlic & onion & fish. Once tried a raw egg but didn't like it.

Loki wrote: "Nenia wrote: "1. I speak (semi) fluent Spanish.
3. I can type 100 WPM.
5. I have been looking for a real job for two years. *bites ec..."

I was sleeping and somehow rolled off the bed, but I got tangled up in the sheets, so I was suspended headfirst over my bed like a spider-hammock. :D

message 27: by Abdul (new)

Abdul | 46 comments Anna wrote: I've eaten brains too. Tasty.
I oft..."

I think I accidently ate a lizard once. ;-0. It was only half a lizard, the bottom half, well mostly the tail.

message 28: by Jo (new)

Jo (jo_mafalda) | 12 comments Ok you guys, I'm quite boring but I'll come up with 5 things (not so sure they're cool) about me :

1) I collect postcards! If I visit a new place I buy a postard :D
2) I used to made lots of videos and post it in YT. Montages of my favorite movies and so on...i do think most of them where of period dramas. But I loved to use an instrumental music and fit the scenes with the feeling I get from it! Gosh, I miss vidding!
3) I consider myself a good cook but I'm an awful baker! Weird,right?
4) I'm always buying a new notebook and I do carry one with me at all times!All shapes and sizes, but I do love moleskines!
5) I try to watch an old film at least once a month

message 29: by Angela (last edited Sep 01, 2013 06:17PM) (new)

Angela | 17 comments There's nothing cool about me. D: I'm a terribly boring person. I can't even come up with one thing.

message 30: by Abdul (new)

Abdul | 46 comments Angela (: wrote: "There's nothing cool about me. D: I'm a terribly boring person. I can't even come up with one thing."

Well, I did come up with a list of 5 things, but most if them are dorky and uncool anyways. (Whats so cool about eating catfish?) What would be cool is if I could come up with an original review of a book and post it on GR. Unfortunately I'm scared that what I post would already have been posted or my reviews would be daft. So the best I do is to "like" other people's review. So sad ... :-(

@Joana: What a great hobby! Postcards are so fun. I have a couple from when I went to Europe. What places have you been? What's your favorite postcard look like?

Ooooh, did you ever make book trailers? I've always admired people who made fanmade music vids. I've found a couple that looked professionally done. SO IMPRESS.

What kinds of old films? And what sorts of things do you write about? Or is it super-sekrit? ;)

Angela (: wrote: "There's nothing cool about me. D: I'm a terribly boring person. I can't even come up with one thing."

You lie. <3

I can think of one thing! You have a smiley-face next to your name, so that each time you post it's like you're greeting everyone in the thread! :D

@Abdul: Hey - practice makes perfect. And for obscure books that don't have a lot of reviews, ANYTHING is helpful!

message 34: by Jo (new)

Jo (jo_mafalda) | 12 comments Nenia wrote: "@Joana: What a great hobby! Postcards are so fun. I have a couple from when I went to Europe. What places have you been? What's your favorite postcard look like?

Ooooh, did you ever make book trai..."

Hmm, it's hard to pinpoint a fave one, many are matched with amazing memories of those places! But I do love postcards that show some monuments and museums! One of my fave places is of Sintra, such a magical place!
Oh and I do have some really old postcards that were of my mom, and it's really cool to see the differences in one place in more of 30 years of difference ^^

I never made a book trailer! But one of this days I'm really curious to try it out!

Here it's one of my videos *blushes* :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDMh6x...

Oh they are far from professionally looking! But yeah, there are amazing vidders out there! :D

Well, some of the classics really, that I never watched! For instance, only recently I watched Casablanca!

haha, nothing special, random thoughts, fave quotes and stuff like that! Like I said, I'm quite boring ;)

message 35: by Angela (new)

Angela | 17 comments Abdul wrote: "Angela (: wrote: "There's nothing cool about me. D: I'm a terribly boring person. I can't even come up with one thing."

Well, I did come up with a list of 5 things, but most if them are dorky and ..."

That's very cool. ;) And you should write reviews anyway! People have the same opinions sometimes. My reviews suck, but I still write them.

message 36: by Angela (new)

Angela | 17 comments Nenia wrote: "Angela (: wrote: "There's nothing cool about me. D: I'm a terribly boring person. I can't even come up with one thing."

You lie. <3

I can think of one thing! You have a smiley-face next to your n..."

Aww. That smiley face is just for you. <3

message 37: by Abdul (new)

Abdul | 46 comments Maybe I'll read some more reviews, before I post one. :-)

message 38: by [deleted user] (last edited May 04, 2014 08:43PM) (new)

I have to add this, I’ll take one away for it: I have complete heterochromia and wear contacts to hide it. It tends to unnerve people.

Oh wow! That's so cool! I think hetereochromia is pretty. :D

message 40: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 6 comments Ok...

1. I train horses.
2. I have dyed my hair for so long I don't remember what my natural hair color looks like
3. I have 4 dogs
4. I have a twin sister (not identical though)
5. I am a huge gamer

Thanks for joining, Courtney! What's it like training horses? :)

message 42: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 6 comments It is frustrating but really pays off. I am also well known in the ER lol

>____<

Ouch!

message 44: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 12 comments 1. I play the piano
2. I love to read
3. I'm a very nice person
4. I'm making bracelets for the make a wish foundation of New Jersey
5. I have a medical problem

Thanks for sharing!