Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Dragonfly (Dragonfly, #1)
This topic is about Dragonfly
Policies & Practices > advertising sales in book description

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wendy Darling (new)

Wendy Darling (wendydarling) | 5 comments It appears this book's description page has been updated with sales information and links, which is pretty spammy and also clutters up the information page.

Is this against the rules?

message 2: by Empress (last edited Aug 26, 2013 07:03PM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) YES. She has included her review and that is against the rules. Also no sales links should be added.
I have remove the information. If you notice it is up again please report again.

Thank you for notifying us.

message 3: by Wendy Darling (new)

Wendy Darling (wendydarling) | 5 comments Thank you for addressing that so quickly! I was pretty sure that was a no-no.

Leigh Moore (leightmoore) | 13 comments Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "YES. She has included her review and that is against the rules. Also no sales links should be added.
I have remove the information. If you notice it is up again please report again.

Thank you for ..."

Hi, Ellie!

Thanks so much for helping me with this, and thanks to Wendy for noting this error. I'm sure she's a busy person.

If you would, please direct me to the rules you've referenced here. I've read the Goodreads Author's Guidelines, and I don't see anything about it there.

I want to read the rules and be sure I follow them. Up to now, I've simply been duplicating what other authors do in their book descriptions. I actually had no idea there was a standard rule that applied.

Thanks so much for your help! Best to you guys and Happy reading~ :o) <3

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44643 comments Mod
This is less an issue of "author rules" and more a question of what Goodreads considers appropriate content for a book's description field. From here:

The description field is for entering a summary of the work. The best description to enter is one found on the back cover or on the dust jacket of the book. If the book does not have a summary listed anywhere on the cover or pages, you can copy a description from a different edition or you can write your own. The description can be a couple of sentences or a couple of paragraphs describing the content of the book.

message 6: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) Hi Leigh,
and thank you for showing interest and asking, and not just editing back the details. It is okay to include whatever you want (sales links and reviews) in your personal review but not in description and if you see other authors doing this you can post here. If you are worried this might cause you trouble you can just send an email to support, so you don't do it publicly.

Those rules are located in the Librarian manual and they are for Librarians. We are familiar that not all authors know author them. We would've contacted you if we noticed that you had reverted the changes. I am wondering if you saw the changes or the notes I left?

This is where the rules are located but it is a long read: http://www.goodreads.com/librarian_ma...

So here are the two main rules that I was referring to in the previous post:

[1]

official URL: This field is for entering a URL officially associated with that book, such as a page on an author's site for the book. It may also be an author or publisher's website for the book, if it contains additional information or resources. Fan sites, reviews, book sellers, Wiki pages or other such pages should NOT be listed.

Note: even though Amazon owns GR, links to Amazon are still not allowed. Links should go in the official URL field.

[2]

description:The description field is for entering a summary of the work. The best description to enter is one found on the back cover or on the dust jacket of the book. If the book does not have a summary listed anywhere on the cover or pages, you can copy a description from a different edition or you can write your own. The description can be a couple of sentences or a couple of paragraphs describing the content of the book. It should be a generic summary and should NOT include reviews or personal feelings (i.e. "This is a book about sisters. It was good. You should read it"). The summary should also NOT contain any important spoilers such as mentions of characters deaths, how the book ends, major twists or other information that would spoil the story for those who have not read it.

Descriptions copied from an outside source, such as Wikipedia, should contain a short citation stating where the summary originated from.

Please if you have any more questions we will be happy to help you.

Have a great day/night.
Ellie

Leigh Moore (leightmoore) | 13 comments Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "Hi Leigh,
and thank you for showing interest and asking, and not just editing back the details. It is okay to include whatever you want (sales links and reviews) in your personal review but not in..."

Thanks, Ellie!

This is very helpful information! I'm glad I'm seeing it for the first time!

Up to now, I've simply been copying what is on Amazon for my books' descriptions, which do *not* include *my* reviews, but rather the reviews of published authors who've read my books--which is standard practice for the dust jackets of traditionally published books.

It seems the information you've provided here is privy only to Goodreads librarians, though. Is that correct?

If I may make a suggestion, perhaps it would be more helpful to make this somewhere authors can access it?

In the case of TWO of my books, I was not even the person who created the Goodreads page for them (which includes product description, etc.).

For my book ROUGE, an author-friend of mine created the Goodreads page. And for THE TRUTH ABOUT FAKING... well, there's always a new reader-created product page popping up for it--LOL! (I usually write to you guys to combine them.)

But again, thanks so much for this guidance! I'll be sure to stick to it going forward.

And I have no interest in turning anybody in. I think Goodreads should be a free and open marketplace of ideas, not an "author takedown" site. It makes me sad when it seems to be straying from that ideal.

I've met some FAB reader-friends here, and I love posting my 5-star reviews here... Anyway, best to you guys!

Thanks again, <3
Leigh Talbert Moore

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Aug 27, 2013 07:41PM) (new)

Leigh wrote: "It seems the information you've provided here is privy only to Goodreads librarians, though. Is that correct?"

Any Goodreads user can view the Librarians' Manual. Also, searching the general Help section will pull up entries from the Manual as well as those targeted at authors or general users.

Additionally, if manually adding a book or editing an existing one, there are yellow tooltips for each field. The one for description explicitly states that no review should be included.

As you note, sometimes that data is coming from imports, which are obviously out of the author's control. But librarians usually catch those and fix them.

Leigh Moore (leightmoore) | 13 comments rivka wrote: "Leigh wrote: "It seems the information you've provided here is privy only to Goodreads librarians, though. Is that correct?"

Any Goodreads user can view the Librarians' Manual. Also, searching the..."

Hi, Rivka!

Thanks so much for joining the conversation and providing clarification. It sounds like however, one would have to *know* what s/he was looking for to actually get to this information.

I mean, to sift through the Librarians' group to get to the Manual to get to the help section... that's quite a quest. And standard dust jacket information almost always includes review snippets from published authors, so this is a unique practice to Goodreads.

Add to that, if a user has already set up a product page for your book, those yellow tooltips probably don't appear anymore do they? I can't remember seeing them...

Further, it's been my experience the librarians have not caught the data from imports, and I've had to report these myself. I don't mind doing it at all, and I think it's great that readers are so enthusiastic that they're creating their own product pages for my books... LOL!

I would re-suggest making this information more accessible to authors. Perhaps adding it to the author guidelines? Maybe "Important Notes" about product descriptions? Just an idea.

I know you guys are very busy! Not attempting to add to your workload.

Thanks again so much for your input and guidance!

Best,
LTM

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I will pass the suggestion along.

message 11: by Empress (last edited Aug 28, 2013 01:03AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) Hi Leigh,

I just want to clarify that by saying you have included your review I meant that the text in the description is the same as in the review you have posted. That does not mean it is "yours", we are familiar authors post reviews from others, and there are plenty of people that do not know all the rules. [nothing I say or have said is meant to sound as an accusation] Although I understand I may have sounded rude, it was just a short message to the OP explaining what were the rules broken. Most of the people posting here are pretty familiar with them.
Also adding books is open to all members of GR, so we are not trowing any blame here, just doing edits to help improve the database. Going trough them is a big task, you can always post here and ask us if something is not clear, there are a lot of things I am not sure of myself and Rivka here or someone else is givings me pointers [and yes, we make mistakes as well]

Leigh wrote: "But again, thanks so much for this guidance! I'll be sure to stick to it going forward."

I just want to say that you should not be overly worried about what happened. This is a very standard edit [cleaning up descriptions] and it is not reflecting on you as an author and GR user. I may have assumed that it was you who added that description, but we do not report authors when simple mistakes like this are done, that would assume that those authors have some malicious intentions, which is something we don't know. This happens only when authors do this intentionally after they have been notified to stop making changes. And a Librarian will not notify you about the rules unless you keep reverting our changes. A lot of the Librarians here do hundreds of edits a day and it is impossible to notify every authors of the changes, so we just leave notes to whoever goes there after us.
Also we have the librarian log, which I am not sure but I think must be visible by authors as well, so if it comes to investigating who has done what there is a record or the changes applied to each edition.

I hope I haven't cause you any turmoil.

best wishes
Ellie

Leigh Moore (leightmoore) | 13 comments Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "Hi Leigh,

I just want to clarify that by saying you have included your review I meant that the text in the description is the same as in the review you have posted. That does not mean it is "your..."

Hi, Ellie!

Thanks for the follow up! No turmoil here--this has actually been a useful discussion for me. I worked as a librarian's aide in HS, so I totally understand wanting/needing to have a "system" for a dbase.

I hope other author-friends stumble onto this b/c it will probably help them, too!

Thanks again--librarians FTW! :o) <3