English Mysteries Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Marks | 38 comments Christie - The UnderDog and other stories
The Mousetrap and other stories

Sayers -- the Lord Peter collection

Joyce Porter -- Dover: the collected short stories.

message 2: by Leslie (last edited Aug 27, 2013 06:11PM) (new)

Leslie | 1663 comments I can always read more Christie or Sayers but the Porter stories would be new to me (so that is a plus!).

And of course, there are a large number of Sherlock Holmes short stories! How about The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes?

Or Father Brown stories by G.K. Chesterton, such as The Wisdom of Father Brown

Mr Campion and Others by Margery Allingham

Field of Thirteen by Dick Francis

message 3: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Marks | 38 comments I should be shot for forgetting Sherlock!

message 4: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) | 1665 comments Mod
I'd second a vote for Sherlock. These stories bear reading over and over again!

message 5: by HJ (new)

HJ | 223 comments I'm hoping that the new BBC Sherlock series might air this autumn, so it would be fun to re-read the original stories. The writers Moffat and Gatiss are huge fans of them and it's fun to see the little details incorporated into the TV episodes.

message 6: by Bionic Jean (new)

Yes - I quite like the 2 recent films too with Robert Downey Junior and Jude Law. Plus various of the older TV adaptations (Jeremy Brett was sublime as Sherlock Holmes!) and films. Strange how these stories just run and run, sometimes with a unique twist or merely as a homage to Conan Doyle as in the Moffat and Gatiss versions.

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan Barlow | 7 comments Jean, as far as I'm concerned Jeremy Brett is the best Sherlock ever. I still love to watch the DVD's.

message 8: by Poornima (new)

Poornima | 46 comments I, too, would very much like to read Sherlock !

message 9: by J. J. (new)

J. J. Arias | 24 comments Susan wrote: "Jean, as far as I'm concerned Jeremy Brett is the best Sherlock ever. I still love to watch the DVD's."
I completely agree: in my mind he is Sherlock. However, I'm a also big fan of the new Sherlock production because the context is different enough for me to accept a different kind of Sherlock. He's a bit sociopathic, but still interesting.

message 10: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Marks | 38 comments Which short story collection of Holmes does everyone want to read? My vote is for The Adventures

message 11: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 146 comments Susan wrote: "Jean, as far as I'm concerned Jeremy Brett is the best Sherlock ever. I still love to watch the DVD's."
I agree that Jeremy Brett is the best Sherlock but I still enjoy watching Basil Rathbone in the wonderful black and white movies from the 1940's. It is too bad that Nigel Bruce makes Dr. Watson so dumb.

message 12: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Marks | 38 comments I'd agree. Rathbone was good, but Bruce used Watson as comic relief.

message 13: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 1663 comments I don't know that you can blame Nigel Bruce for that - that seems like a directorial decision. Bruce did it so well that the image of loyal but stupid Dr. Watson has become a stereotype.

message 14: by Jeffrey (last edited Sep 01, 2013 04:41AM) (new)

Jeffrey Marks | 38 comments Definitely Baskervilles is the best of the novels.

message 15: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 1663 comments Portia, I didn't mean to imply that his interpretation was the only one or even the most accurate - just that it has become well-known. And yes, I have seen both of those TV adaptations.

message 16: by Sonali (new)

Sonali V | 129 comments Portia, I too am a huge fan of the current Holmes show. Waiting eagerly for the next season. And House,like you, I was absolutely hooked.It always somehow managed to cheer me up. Does now too,I keep watching them..

message 17: by Sonali (new)

Sonali V | 129 comments And he is Benedict Cumberbatch not Dominic.:-)

message 18: by Sonali (new)

Sonali V | 129 comments :-D Quite, quite incoherent I was, in my excitement at finding someone who liked the exact same shows that I did. I meant the new season of Sherlock.

message 19: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 1663 comments I saw something on the PBS app about new episodes of Sherlock were coming but don't recall if specifics were provided - I was looking for info about Foyle's War (which starts here in MA on Sept. 15).

message 20: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Marks | 38 comments I believe I just saw photos of the new season of Sherlock (for PBS) being filmed now. So no clue on when we'd see them.

message 21: by C.J. (new)

C.J. (cjverburg) | 233 comments Leslie wrote: "I saw something on the PBS app about new episodes of Sherlock were coming but don't recall if specifics were provided - I was looking for info about Foyle's War (which starts here in MA on Sept. 15)."

Good news! Here in San Francisco, Foyle's War starts Sept. 7. Bad news: idiots at KQED are running it 10 PM to midnight. Show some respect, people!

message 22: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 1663 comments Carol wrote: "Leslie wrote: "I saw something on the PBS app about new episodes of Sherlock were coming but don't recall if specifics were provided - I was looking for info about Foyle's War (which starts here in..."

This is why I love my DVR (and before that my VCR)!

message 23: by Sonali (new)

Sonali V | 129 comments Portia wrote: "Do you have any info on the new season of Sherlock? PBS can be really, really stingy about when it releases things, but, I've discovered that fans in other countries often have the inside scoop (..."
Portia, I don't even possess a TV.:-)My dear son (he lives in Mumbai), downloads the shows he likes(which he knows I'd like too),and writes them for me.My TV conked out about two years ago and I haven't got around to buying one yet.Watching things on YouTube also helps.

message 24: by Susan (new)

Susan Barlow | 7 comments I love The Hound of the Baskervilles but weren't we voting on a short story collection?

message 25: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 1663 comments Susan wrote: "I love The Hound of the Baskervilles but weren't we voting on a short story collection?"

That is what I thought.

message 26: by Sonali (new)

Sonali V | 129 comments There's a collection of mystery stories by Isaac Asimov which is pretty interesting. I would also be interested to read the Father Brown collection again. Are the old Ellery Queen books still available? We used to love reading them.

message 27: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 1663 comments Sonali wrote: "There's a collection of mystery stories by Isaac Asimov which is pretty interesting. I would also be interested to read the Father Brown collection again. Are the old Ellery Queen books still avail..."

I like Ellery Queen but his stories are New York, not U.K. Are we broadening the scope for the short stories?

message 29: by Sonali (new)

Sonali V | 129 comments Leslie, I rather like youe suggestion. Hope I'll be able to get a copy and it won't be prohibitively priced. And sorry for the Ellery Queen suggestion, just slipped my mind that it isn't English mystery.:-(

message 30: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Marks | 38 comments There doesn't appear to be a Kindle edition available?

Asimov and EQ are both American, but I love the short stories by both.

message 31: by Kay (new)

Kay | 218 comments I love all of the Sherlocks but agree that Jeremy Brett is the best.

message 32: by Bionic Jean (new)

Kay - I agree. I think Jeremy Brett is the truest to the original conception by Conan Doyle. We may enjoy other interpretations but he was the quintessential Holmes.

Sadly the part rather overtook him. He was a manic depressive and latterly acknowledged that he had become completely obsessed by the character.

message 33: by Sonali (new)

Sonali V | 129 comments That's so interesting Jean.

message 34: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 1663 comments Jean-Luke wrote: "I'm nominating the Beware of the Trains by Edmund Crispin and will be making the poll this afternoon."

Ooh, Gervase Fen! Maybe I will try to read The Long Divorce this month to complete my reading of his full-length Fen novels first :)

message 35: by Sonali (new)

Sonali V | 129 comments I was very interested in Leslie's anthology suggestion, but its unavailable both on Amazon & Flipkart.

message 36: by C.J. (new)

C.J. (cjverburg) | 233 comments Jean wrote: "Kay - I agree. I think Jeremy Brett is the truest to the original conception by Conan Doyle. We may enjoy other interpretations but he was the quintessential Holmes.

Sadly the part rather overtook..."

One can only be thankful for his sake that he was cast as Sherlock Holmes & not, say, Bertie Wooster.

message 37: by Rick (new)

Rick Etchells (etchr) | 1 comments Jeremy would have made a great Bertie. Bertie always seemed to be maligned, but there is much wisdom in those stories especially when it came from Jeeves!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.