Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Fantasy > Recommendations??

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenelle (last edited Aug 26, 2013 02:44PM) (new)

Jenelle Where to even start?

Lord of Snow and Shadows (and series... kind of dark, but very unique and well-written)

Pawn of Prophecy (and series: the Belgariad, and the Mallorean, as well as Belgarath the Sorcerer and Polgara the Sorceress)

If you want something epic with dwarves, elves, and dragons... you could go for: Death Gate Cycle 1: Dragonwing - which is the start of a 7-book series, and one of my personal favorites of all time

Or you could start the Deverry series which begins with: Daggerspell

If you want an Arthurian saga, there's Taliesin - which is the beginning of the Pendragon Cycle, another favorite

If you're more in the mood for a retelling of Robin Hood, there's also: Hood and the subsequent trilogy.

Currently I'm in the middle of the Tales of Goldstone Wood, which have more of a "fairy tale" feel (and are YA as opposed to straight up fantasy...) the first book is: Heartless

I also just recently read Dragon's Gold - and really enjoyed it.

If you want more recommendations, or none of those sound appealing (or I've mentioned something you've already read), I've got lots more... but that should be enough to get you started.

message 2: by Arabella (new)

Arabella Thorne (arabella_thornejunocom) | 354 comments If you like RoninHood...you must read Sherwood by Parker Godwin...who is an excellent writer. I've liked everything I've read of his

message 3: by Arabella (new)

Arabella Thorne (arabella_thornejunocom) | 354 comments Parke Godwin ! Not Parker.....
Other great fantasy is David Eddings the Belgariad..

message 4: by G.G. (last edited Aug 27, 2013 06:13AM) (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 491 comments Have you tried Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman. Their most popular series are probably the Dragonlance chronicles and Legends series.

http://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8=...

I also love the Death Gate Cycle.

http://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8=...

Edited: Ahh I see Jenelle had also mentioned Death Gate Cycle... great choice! :)

message 5: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 361 comments If you're a fan of dragons, you could start in with Anne McCaffrey, the queen of dragon novelists. The latter books with the co-authors are so-so, but the older ones are solid gold. You could also begin on the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik -- there are 7, and the last one is out this fall, so you can zoom through them all. and for a totally off-beat take on dragons, TOOTH AND CLAW by Jo Walton. Not like any other dragon novel you have ever read, I promise you.

message 6: by Arabella (new)

Arabella Thorne (arabella_thornejunocom) | 354 comments oooh wait! Dragon Haven by Robin McKinley---OMG one of the best dragon books I've EVER read

message 7: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 408 comments I really enjoyed, although they are YA books, John Flanagan's Ranger Apprentice titles.

message 8: by Ken (new)

Ken Hughes (kenhughes) | 10 comments Brandon Sanderson. His Mistborn books are fun, grand, and a bit unusual, while the new Way of Kings is a true epic.

Also, Guy Gavriel Kay. The man who edited Tolkien's notes and has been matched to the master ever since.

message 9: by Arabella (new)

Arabella Thorne (arabella_thornejunocom) | 354 comments OOOH OOOH I have to agree with Ken. Why did I not think of Guy Gavriel Kay? He has written some of the most literate, adult, intelligent pieces of fanstsy ever. Ysabel, Tiganna, A Song for Arbonne...he has never disappointed---SAVE--his first three books, with their obvious influence from Tolkien...I couldn't read. Once he found his voice and his sensibilities---his writing just shone. Personally can't recommend him high enough