2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE: Monthly Challenges > September: Labor Day Mini Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Adriana (last edited Aug 27, 2013 12:52PM) (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments September's Labor Day Mini Challenge
Duration: September 1 - 30, 2013

Labor day falls on the second day of September. In the US, it's the day we celebrate what everyday workers do for the well being of their country.

1. Read a book that highlights a particular worker (teacher, doctor, writer, etc).

2. Read a book in which someone achieves his or her career goal.

3. Read a book where a parent or guardian is a workaholic.

4. Read a book that has a character that does either what you do or what you dream to do.

5. Labor Day also marks the official last day of summer, so read a book you've been dying to read all summer but haven't gotten to it yet.

-----

Jodi will be the leader for this challenge. Thank you, Jodi!

message 2: by Jodi (last edited Sep 19, 2013 10:35PM) (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1922 comments I can lead this challenge.

1. Read a book that highlights a particular worker (teacher, doctor, writer, etc). A is for Alibi Detective

4. Read a book that has a character that does either what you do or what you dream to do.

5. Labor Day also marks the official last day of summer, so read a book you've been dying to read all summer but haven't gotten to it yet. Safe Haven

2/2

message 3: by Megan, Challenges (last edited Sep 14, 2013 03:22PM) (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6669 comments I'll join this challenge for three books.

#1 - Particular worker (waitress) - From Dead to Worse by Charlaine Harris - completed

#2 - Career Goal - Song of Renewal by Emily Sue Harvey - completed

#3 - Workaholic - The Secret River by Kate Grenville - completed

#5 - Summer Book - Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris - completed

4/3 - goal achieved but going to keep adding books

message 4: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments I'm in for 1 book.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I'm in for one although I may do more depending on whether the books I have set for the month satisfy any of the other criteria.

message 7: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (lindylee) I am in until I am done

message 8: by Adriana (last edited Aug 27, 2013 12:53PM) (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments Jodi wrote: "I can lead this challenge."

Thanks Jodi! That would be great (:

I'm in for three myself.

message 9: by SibylM (new)

SibylM (sibyldiane) | 223 comments In for two :)

message 10: by Sky (new)

Sky Paz (lilmissreader) | 86 comments Im in.

message 11: by Jodi (last edited Sep 09, 2013 06:50PM) (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1922 comments Yay! I am excited to lead a challenge! Have fun everyone!

Participants

Megan: 2 /3
Zara: /1
Jackie: /2
Sarah: /1
Lindy: /?
Adriana: 1 /3
Sibyl: /2
Stephany: /?
Jodi: 1 /2
ScarletteMi: 1 /2
Sharon: /2
Jessica: /2
Teresa: /1
Mave: /2
Aislinn /2
Alfaniel 1/2
Deyara /3

message 12: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1922 comments Stephany wrote: "Im in."

Do you have a goal Stephany or do you just want to see how many you do?

message 13: by ScarlettMi (last edited Sep 03, 2013 06:12PM) (new)

ScarlettMi | 191 comments I'm in for two on this one.

(1/2)

1. Read a book that highlights a particular worker (teacher, doctor, writer, etc).

5. Labor Day also marks the official last day of summer, so read a book you've been dying to read all summer but haven't gotten to it yet.
Orange Is the New Black My Year in a Women's Prison by Piper Kerman

message 14: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 740 comments I'll try for 2

Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews (jackiefireicebookreviews) Hey Jodi, I am in for two and you put one :-)

message 16: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1922 comments Jackie wrote: "Hey Jodi, I am in for two and you put one :-)"

I have you for two Jackie. Maybe it is the / that makes it look like a one, or both Zara above you and Sarah below you both want one. You may have looked at the wrong name. I do have you for two though. Thanks for checking.

Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews (jackiefireicebookreviews) Sorry that's what i did lol

message 18: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 177 comments I'm in for 2.

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) | 154 comments In for 1 but may do more!

message 20: by Mave (new)

Mave | 62 comments I'll try for 2!

message 21: by Aislinn (new)

Aislinn | 40 comments I'll try for 2 also.

message 22: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1922 comments I have everyone added. I find these categories hard. I am not sure what I will read yet. I can't believe September is almost here. What happened to summer?

message 23: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1922 comments Now that I am back to work, I will be reading much slower! Good luck to everyone and have fun!

message 24: by Alfaniel (new)

Alfaniel Aldavan | 3 comments Can I still join? I aim to 2 books for this challenge. I already know I so wanted to read Digital Fortress and haven't gotten to it yet!

message 25: by Jodi (last edited Sep 04, 2013 07:12AM) (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1922 comments Sure can Alfaniel. I have you down for 2. Good luck and enjoy :)

ScarlettMi I have updated your progress! Way to go. You are almost done!

message 26: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6669 comments Completed #1 - Particular Worker - Barmaid/Waitress - From Dead to Worse by Charlaine Harris. I'm really liking where the storyline is going and the explanations the author is providing for occurrences earlier in the series. Definitely worth reading! 4 stars

1/3

message 27: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3977 comments Congratulations on being the first to finish a book for this challenge, Megan!

message 28: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1922 comments ScarlettMi was the first to finish a book but congratulations to Megan too!

If I miss anyone when you update your progress, please let me know if I miss you.

message 29: by Adriana (last edited Sep 05, 2013 08:52PM) (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments #2 Read a book in which someone achieves his or her career goal.

Gameboard of the Gods (Age of X, #1) by Richelle Mead 1/3

*One of the POV's comes back to his career after four years but officially gets it at the end plus a kind of promotion (:

message 30: by Alfaniel (new)

Alfaniel Aldavan | 3 comments Same topic, someone achieves his or her career goal.
Factoring Humanity by Robert J. Sawyer
The academic has spent years of her career to understand an alien message. With a very surprising outcome at that. :)

My rating: 5/5

1/2

message 31: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1922 comments Adriana and Alfaniel I have updated the progress both of you have made. Way to go both of you. Alfaniel, you are almost there! I feel so far behind :( Work really gets in the way of reading.

message 32: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6669 comments Completed #5 - Book I've Wanted to Read all Summer - Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris. Great ending to the series, and I appreciated how the author wrapped up the individual storylines. Definitely worth sticking it out through the entire series for the ending! 4 stars

2/3

message 33: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1922 comments Megan, you are on fire! Keep it up :)

message 34: by Deyara (last edited Sep 22, 2013 12:49PM) (new)

Deyara | 13 comments Challenge: September's Labor Day Mini Challenge
Duration: September 1 - 30, 2013

Complete: 1/3

1. Read a book that highlights a particular worker - lawyer
Hands of Flame
2. Read a book where a parent or guardian is a workaholic - father
What Kate Did Next
✔3. Read a book that has a character that does what you do - help desk
Crossed Wires ★★★★ 23 Sept 2013

✔:Crossed Wires by Rosy Thornton

message 35: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1922 comments Welcome to the challenge Deyara!

message 36: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6669 comments Completed #3 - Workaholic - The Secret River by Kate Grenville. Main character spends every waking moment working to help his family to survive. I appreciated the history presented in this book. However, I felt that there was a big build-up without a big result. The book ended rather quietly. Written well. Worth reading but probably won't continue the series. 3 stars

3/3

message 37: by Jodi (last edited Sep 19, 2013 10:36PM) (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1922 comments Participants

Megan: 4 /3 Completed
Zara: 0 /1
Jackie: 0 /2
Sarah: 2 /1 Completed
Lindy: 0 /?
Adriana: 3/3 Completed
Sibyl: 0 /2
Stephany: 0 /?
Jodi: 2 /2 Completed
ScarletteMi: 1 /2
Sharon: 0/2
Jessica: 0/2
Teresa: 0/1
Mave: 0 /2
Aislinn 0 /2
Alfaniel 2/2 Completed
Deyara 0 /3

message 38: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1922 comments Megan wrote: "Completed #3 - Workaholic - The Secret River by Kate Grenville. Main character spends every waking moment working to help his family to survive. I appreciated the history presented in this book. ..."

Way to go Megan! The first to complete her goal. Are you going to keep going to see how many you can do?

message 39: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1922 comments All progress has been updated. Please let me know if I have missed one of your books. There is still lots of time in September. Keep reading :)

message 40: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6669 comments Jodi wrote: "Megan wrote: "Completed #3 - Workaholic - The Secret River by Kate Grenville. Main character spends every waking moment working to help his family to survive. I appreciated the history presented ..."

Thanks! Yes, I'm going to keep going

message 41: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments #1 Read a book that highlights a particular worker (teacher, doctor, writer, etc).

13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1) by Maureen Johnson 2/3
*Artist

message 42: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1922 comments Adriana wrote: "#1 Read a book that highlights a particular worker (teacher, doctor, writer, etc).

13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1) by Maureen Johnson 2/3
*Artist"

Only one more to go Adriana! Way to go :)

message 43: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6669 comments Completed #2 - Career goal - Song of Renewal by Emily Sue Harvey. All three main characters gave up on their dreams when the narrative begins. Only through their struggles were they able to achieve their ultimate careers. 3.5 stars. Poignant story that explores one couple's marital problems during their child's medical crisis. Well-written but almost too many miseries to be addressed purposefully in a single book. Also, while I appreciated the author's mention of faith, it seemed to come too late in the book. Overall, good first novel

4/3

message 44: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1922 comments Good job Megan! I have updated your progress.

message 45: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments #3 Read a book where a parent or guardian is a workaholic.

Choker by Elizabeth Woods 3/3

*Yay! If I stumble on to any other book that fits any parts of the challenges I will put it up but right now I've completed my goal!

message 46: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1922 comments Way to go Adriana!

message 47: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments Jodi wrote: "Way to go Adriana!"

Thanks Jodi ^__^

message 48: by Alfaniel (new)

Alfaniel Aldavan | 3 comments #5. Labor Day also marks the official last day of summer, so read a book you've been dying to read all summer but haven't gotten to it yet.

Digital Fortress by Dan Brown

2/2

This has been a re-read, I made on the rush, but I so wanted to do this! It clears up my mind with a different kind of book than I usually read, and a well written one at that.

message 49: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1922 comments Good job Alfaniel! I have you updated.

message 50: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I have completed my goal plus managed an additional read:

September's Labor Day Mini Challenge

1. Read a book that highlights a particular worker (teacher, doctor, writer, etc). Shakespeare's Landlord - Cleaner COMPLETE

5. Labor Day also marks the official last day of summer, so read a book you've been dying to read all summer but haven't gotten to it yet. The Night Circus COMPLETE

Goal: 1 book
Complete: 2 books

« previous 1