2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE: Monthly Challenges > September: Back to School Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 98 (98 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kara, TBR Twins (last edited Aug 26, 2013 04:14PM) (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3965 comments September's Back to School Challenge
Duration: September 1 - 30, 2013

1. Math. Read a book with three digits for its total page count in which the first two digits added together equal the third. Examples: 134, 257, 178.

2. Foreign Language. Read a book initially written in a language that's not one you speak.

3. Art. Read a book whose cover has all three primary colors (red, yellow, blue) on it.

4. Music. Read a book in which the main character is musical or plays a musical instrument.

5. Chemistry. Read a book whose title contains at least one word with three letters or more that can be spelled with the abbreviations of chemical elements. (Click here for a link to the periodic table.) Examples: A Scanner Darkly (Scanner = S Ca N N Er), Quidditch Through the Ages (Ages = Ag Es)

6. History. Read a book classified as historical fiction.

7. Geography. Read a book that takes place in a country you've never visited.

8. Creative writing. Read a book you consider to be "creatively" written. Maybe it takes a unique point of view or isn't written in standard prose. This is up to your interpretation, so have fun with it.

9. Government. Read a book that is about politics or has a character who participates in politics in some way.

10. Recess. Freebie! Read a book of your choice just for fun.

-----

Brianna will be the leader for this challenge. Thank you, Brianna!

message 2: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3965 comments Great! Thank you, Brianna.

message 3: by Megan, Challenges (last edited Sep 27, 2013 09:05PM) (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6304 comments I'll join in for five books for this challenge.

#1 - Math - Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris (336 pages) - completed

#3 - Art - All Together Dead by Charlaine Harris - completed

#4 - Music - Song of Renewal by Emily Sue Harvey - completed

#6 - History - To Whisper Her Name by Tamera Alexander - completed

#7 - Geography - (Australia) Secret River by Kate Grenville - completed

#9 - Government - In a Treacherous Court by Michelle Diener - completed

#10 - Freebie - From Dead to Worse by Charlaine Harris - completed

7/5 - achieved my goal but will keeping adding

message 4: by ZaraS (last edited Sep 13, 2013 06:30AM) (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments Can I join for two books please?

Completed: 1/2

Love in Plain Sight: Love n' Marriage / Almost An Angel by Debbie Macomber.

message 5: by Jodi (last edited Sep 23, 2013 04:37PM) (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1912 comments I am back to work in September, so I think just 3 for me.

1. Math. Read a book with three digits for its total page count in which the first two digits added together equal the third. Examples: 134, 257, 178.

2. Foreign Language. Read a book initially written in a language that's not one you speak.

3. Art. Read a book whose cover has all three primary colors (red, yellow, blue) on it.

4. Music. Read a book in which the main character is musical or plays a musical instrument.

5. Chemistry. Read a book whose title contains at least one word with three letters or more that can be spelled with the abbreviations of chemical elements. (Click here for a link to the periodic table.) Examples: A Scanner Darkly (Scanner = S Ca N N Er), Quidditch Through the Ages (Ages = Ag Es) A is for Alibi Al=Aluminium I=Iodine Bi=Bismuth

8. Creative writing. Read a book you consider to be "creatively" written. Maybe it takes a unique point of view or isn't written in standard prose. This is up to your interpretation, so have fun with it.

9. Government. Read a book that is about politics or has a character who participates in politics in some way. The Giver

10. Recess. Freebie! Read a book of your choice just for fun. Safe Haven

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I'm in for 3.

message 8: by Adriana (last edited Aug 27, 2013 12:55PM) (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments I'm in for four.

message 9: by SibylM (new)

SibylM (sibyldiane) | 223 comments Put me down for four, please!

message 10: by Sky (new)

Sky Paz (lilmissreader) | 86 comments put me down for 3 plz

message 11: by ScarlettMi (last edited Sep 03, 2013 06:08PM) (new)

ScarlettMi | 191 comments I'd like to try for four, please.

September's Back to School Challenge

(2/4)

5. Chemistry. Read a book whose title contains at least one word with three letters or more that can be spelled with the abbreviations of chemical elements.
[O][Ra][N][Ge] [I][S] t[He] [Ne][W] [B][La][C][K]
Orange Is the New Black My Year in a Women's Prison by Piper Kerman

8. Creative Writing
The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 773 comments I'll start with 4, but can you tell me what how to determine pages for #1 if I use a Kindle eBook or an audiobook?

message 13: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3965 comments If there are no pages for your edition (ebook or audiobook), then use the page count of the most popular physical edition. Great question!

message 14: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 734 comments I'll try for 4

5. Chemistry. Read a book whose title contains at least one word with three letters or more that can be spelled with the abbreviations of chemical elements. (Click here for a link to the periodic table.) Examples: A Scanner Darkly (Scanner = S Ca N N Er), Quidditch Through the Ages (Ages = Ag Es)

9. Government. Read a book that is about politics or has a character who participates in politics in some way.

message 15: by Tiffany-Rae (new)

Tiffany-Rae Lowe (thetiff10) | 87 comments I'm in. I'm going to try for 10 since I just sit at home. I'll update with my list of books I am going to do.

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Happy reading all.

message 16: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1912 comments Tiffany wrote: "I'm in. I'm going to try for 10 since I just sit at home. I'll update with my list of books I am going to do.

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Happy reading all."

Wow! Way to go Tiffany! In July, I joined a clean your shelf challenge from another group on here and read 11 books in 2 weeks. That was a commitment.

message 17: by Tiffany-Rae (last edited Sep 30, 2013 02:10PM) (new)

Tiffany-Rae Lowe (thetiff10) | 87 comments *UPDATE*I ended up back to work so I have not had time. I think I am only going to have the 3 for this challenge. Seeing as it it the last day.
3/3

1. Math.The Day Before Midnight
My edition is a little different and actual reading pages is 415. 4+1=5

2. Foreign Language. The Trial
Translated from German

3. Art. A Million Little Pieces
The sprinkles have all 3 colors.

4. DONE Music. The Last Song
Ronnie and her dad play piano. This is also my September buddy read book.

5. DONE Chemistry. A Dog on Barkham Street
[B][Ar][K][H][Am]

6. History. Life After Life
Everyone says this is Historical Fiction if it is not I need help on this one too.

7. Geography. The Flame Tree
This takes place in Indonesia

8. DONE Creative writing. Out of Order
This is a diary type book from different views.

9. Government. Still Looking

10. Recess. Freebie!The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America
Since I did not get around to reading this for the August group read I still really want to so I am doing it for this challenge.

message 18: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments A Little Wanting Song is a great music book! The main character is wonderful and is a singer. You will love her :D

message 19: by Theresa~OctoberLace (last edited Sep 06, 2013 05:54PM) (new)

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 773 comments Here's my book list for this challenge. I'm committed to 4 but have come up with selections for all 10, so I'll see how far I get by the end of September. In support of Banned Books Week 9/22-28/13, I will note that #5, #7, #8, #9, and #10 all appear on lists of Banned and Challenged Books.

1. Math: 1 + 1 = 2! Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu Most popular version has 112 pages.
2. Foreign language: The Poisoned Pilgrim (The Hangman's Daughter, #4) by Oliver Pötzsch The Poisoned Pilgrim written in German by Oliver Pötzsch
3. Art: The White Princess The White Princess (The Cousins' War, #5) by Philippa Gregory by Philippa Gregory Red - rose, Yellow - blonde hair & gold jewelry, Blue - background
4. Music: Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden Since Geisha were gen erally trained to dance, sing, and play music, I expect that the main character here will have received that training.
5. Chemistry: A + [Se(Selenium)+Pa(Protactinium)+Ra(Radium)+Te(Tellurium)] + Peace = A Separate Peace by John Knowles A Separate Peace by John Knowles
6. History: Illuminations A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen by Mary Sharratt Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen by Mary Sharratt
7. Geography: The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver A great part of the book takes place in the Congo, and I've never been to Africa
8. Creative writing: Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
9. Government: Lord of the Flies by William Golding Lord of the Flies by William Golding Political satire
10. Recess: Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

message 20: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments Oh that's right! I can just read a dystopian for government. There's usually something about a corrupt government.

message 21: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 177 comments I'll try for 3.

message 22: by Karina (new)

Karina (karinargh) | 805 comments I'll aim for 5 - probably these:

1. Torkil Berge - Lykketyvene (norwegian - "the happiness thieves"), 314 pages
3. Stephen King - Joyland
5. Mary Roach - Gulp: Adventures on the alimentary Ca-N-Al
6. Neal Stephenson - The Confusion
10. Margaret Atwood - MaddAddam

message 23: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3965 comments I'm reading MaddAddam soon too. I'm SO excited about it.

message 24: by Karina (new)

Karina (karinargh) | 805 comments Kara wrote: "I'm reading MaddAddam soon too. I'm SO excited about it."

Yes! Though I worry I might have forgotten a lot of details - might need to consult some summaries/reviews to freshen my memory.

message 25: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3965 comments My boyfriend already started, and he said the book begins with a four page recap of Oryx & Crake and Year of the Flood. He has a notoriously bad memory for plots, but he didn't need to read anything else for background.

message 26: by ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (last edited Sep 25, 2013 11:18AM) (new)

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) I'm going to join for 2 books, with the option of adding more once I finish those two.

Progress: 3/2

Calculated in Death (In Death, #36) by J.D. Robb - Calculated in Death, J. D. Robb - 9/11/13 (****)

5. Chemistry.

The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen - The (Mo)lybdenum (O)xygen (N)itrogen (Moon) and More, Sarah Dessen. 9/18/13 ***

White Lies (Arcane Society, #2) by Jayne Ann Krentz - White Lies, Jayne Ann Krentz - 9/15/13. I find it creative because it is about a society dedicated to people with a variety of paranormal/psychic abilities. The author has come up with a creative way to explain how the abilities work.

message 27: by Mave (last edited Sep 29, 2013 12:34PM) (new)

Mave | 61 comments September's Back to School Challenge
4/5

2.Foreign Language I Remember You by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir I Remember You Icelandic, 09/29/13
3.Art
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald, 09/23/13
6. History Perfume The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Süskind Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
7. Geography A Beautiful Lie,Irfan Master**** India 09/16/13 A Beautiful Lie by Irfan Master
10. Recess Southern Charm by Tinsley Mortimer Southern Charm,Tina Mortimer, 09/20/13

message 28: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (daniellecobbaertbe) | 468 comments You may put me down for two books.

message 29: by Aislinn (new)

Aislinn | 40 comments Put me down for four, please.

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 773 comments I've completed #1 Math. This morning I read the Kindle version of Carmilla with this cover Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu , and the most rated paperback Carmilla has 112 pages. Since 1+1=2, I pass Math class!

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 773 comments The White Princess (The Cousins' War, #5) by Philippa Gregory

Can this cover for The White Princess work for #3 Art? It has red (the rose and the cape), yellow (blonde hair, gold crown & jewelry), and blue (background).

message 32: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6304 comments Completed #3 - Art - All Together Dead by Charlaine Harris. One of my fav books in the series thus far, but I really needed brain candy the last few days, so don't judge me;) 4 stars

1/5

message 33: by Mary (Biblophile) (last edited Sep 26, 2013 05:03AM) (new)

Mary  (Biblophile) | 315 comments I'm in. I'll do seven off the list.

7/7

The Hangman's Daughter - 448 pages - 9/1/13

The Dark Monk...9/5/13..originally written in German

A Fatal Stain..done 9/25/13

4. Chemistry. Read a book whose title contains at least one word with three letters or more that can be spelled with the abbreviations of chemical elements.
The Iron Wyrm Affair [Ir][O][N] = Iron...9/17/13

5. History. Read a book classified as historical fiction. A Stranger in Mayfair...9/13/13

6. Geography. Read a book that takes place in a country you've never visited. ]Murder at The Castle ..9/7/13 ...Wales

7. Recess. Freebie! Read a book of your choice just for fun. Heirs and Graces..9/21/13

The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter #1) by Oliver Pötzsch The Dark Monk (The Hangman's Daughter, #2) by Oliver Pötzsch Murder at The Castle by Jeanne M. Dams A Stranger in Mayfair (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #4) by Charles Finch The Iron Wyrm Affair (Bannon & Clare, #1) by Lilith Saintcrow Heirs and Graces (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #7) by Rhys Bowen A Fatal Stain by Elise Hyatt

message 34: by Kaitlin (last edited Sep 18, 2013 06:47PM) (new)

Kaitlin (kait-k) | 513 comments September's Back to School Challenge
10/10

Rabbit Redux by John Updike - 448 - Completed 9/6/2013

Slowness by Milan Kundera - French - Completed 9/16/2013

3. Art. Read a book whose cover has all three primary colors (red, yellow, blue) on it. - Completed 9/13/2013
Dave Barry's Bad Habits A 100% Fact-Free Book by Dave Barry

Corelli's Mandolin - Completed 9/13/2013

The Ten, Make That Nine, Habits of Very Organized People. Make That Ten.: The Tweets of Steve MartinSteve Martin - Ni Ne - Completed 9/8/2013 (reread)

book:The Lighthouse at the End of the World|1000184] by Stephen Marlowe - Completed 9/18/2013

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle - England - Completed 9/6/2013

The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4 - diary entries - Completed 9/14/2013

Naked Pictures of Famous People by John Stewart - Completed 9/5/2013

Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven D. Levitt - Completed 9/7/2013

message 35: by Julieschreiner (new)

Julieschreiner | 19 comments I am in for 3! This will be my first book challenge so I am looking forward to participating :)

message 36: by Tiffany-Rae (new)

Tiffany-Rae Lowe (thetiff10) | 87 comments Adriana wrote: "A Little Wanting Song is a great music book! The main character is wonderful and is a singer. You will love her :D"

Thanks for the tip! It sounds good. I will look into that one!!!

message 37: by Sovotchka (last edited Oct 01, 2013 11:07PM) (new)

Sovotchka | 559 comments Brianna, count me for either eight or nine, depending on whether I can find one for #5 :).

6/9

***** Scott Lynch - The Lies of Locke Lamora, 09/16
red and yellow on Locke's clothes and the light, blue on the Elderglass towers
***** Christoph Marzi - Die wundersame Geschichte der Faye Archer, 09/03
Faye plays the piano and writes her own songs.
**** Salley Vickers - The Cleaner of Chartres, 09/14
***** David Benioff - City of Thieves, 09/18
Leningrad (St. Petersburg), Russia
***** Suzanne Collins - The Hunger Games
Katniss becomes a political pawn, and there are revolutions and a tyrannical head of government and everything :).
**** Once Upon A Time: Reawakened, 09/13

The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1) by Scott Lynch Die wundersame Geschichte der Faye Archer by Christoph Marzi The Cleaner of Chartres by Salley Vickers City of Thieves by David Benioff The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins Reawakened (Once Upon a Time, #1) by Odette Beane

message 38: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6304 comments Completed #10 - Freebie - From Dead to Worse by Charlaine Harris. I'm really liking where the storyline is going and the explanations the author is providing for occurrences earlier in the series. Definitely worth reading! 4 stars

2/5

message 39: by Cherise (new)

Cherise (inkdrinkingmoth) I'm going to do this one! I'm gonna attempt to do three, only because I don't know when I'll get done the monster of a book I've been reading.

message 40: by Cherise (last edited Sep 21, 2013 01:19PM) (new)

Cherise (inkdrinkingmoth) 3/3

1. Historical Fiction -
The Sky Unwashed ( finished 9/6 )
2. Recess - Deathless ( finished 9/12 )
3. Art - Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell ( finished 9/21 )
4. Geography - The Dressmaker of Khair Khana: Five Sisters, One Remarkable Family, and the Woman Who Risked Everything to Keep Them Safe

message 41: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments #9 Government. Read a book that is about politics or has a character who participates in politics in some way.

Gameboard of the Gods (Age of X, #1) by Richelle Mead 1/4

message 42: by Kaitlin (new)

Kaitlin (kait-k) | 513 comments First two down!

2/10

Rabbit Redux by John Updike - 448 - Completed 9/6/2013

Naked Pictures of Famous People by John Stewart - Completed 9/5/2013

message 43: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6304 comments Completed #1 - Math - Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris, 336 pages. Lots of inner turmoil in this book that distracted from the plotline. I appreciated more of the background explanations, though. Two more books left. 3.5 stars

3/5

message 44: by Theresa~OctoberLace (last edited Sep 06, 2013 05:58PM) (new)

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 773 comments Completed #3 - ART - The White Princess The White Princess (The Cousins' War, #5) by Philippa Gregory by Philippa Gregory Red - rose, Yellow - blonde hair & gold jewelry, Blue - background.

Finished reading on 9/6/13, so I'm at 2 of 4.

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 773 comments Completed #2 - Foreign Language. The Patience Stone by Atiq Rahimi which was originally written in French. Finished 9/7/13 This makes 3/4

message 46: by Kaitlin (new)

Kaitlin (kait-k) | 513 comments I finished:

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle - England - Completed 9/6/2013

That's 3/10.

message 47: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3965 comments I was so worried #5, Chemistry, would be too difficult. I'm glad a lot of you were able to find books that fit. :D

message 48: by Deyara (last edited Sep 14, 2013 08:31PM) (new)

Deyara | 13 comments Challenge: September: Back to School Challenge
Details:

Complete: 3/3
tick
Chemistry - Y O U
The Seven Words You Can't Say On Television ★★★★ Sep 07, 2013

History - historical romance
Love in the Afternoon ★★★★★ Sep 04, 2013

Geography - set outside of NZ
The Next Always ★★★★ Sep 11, 2013

✔:The Seven Words You Can't Say On Television by Steven Pinker Love in the Afternoon (The Hathaways, #5) by Lisa Kleypas The Next Always (Inn BoonsBoro Trilogy #1) by Nora Roberts

message 49: by Kaitlin (new)

Kaitlin (kait-k) | 513 comments Another one down:

Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven D. Levitt - Completed 9/7/2013

4/10

Mary  (Biblophile) | 315 comments Finished Foreign Language: The Dark Monk (The Hangman's Daughter, #2) by Oliver Pötzsch on 9/5/13. Wasn't sure I'd like this series, but I find it fascinating.

2/7

« previous 1