The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1)
This topic is about Ender's Game
ARCHIVE - BOTM discussions > Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

Kristie | 5094 comments Hi everyone! This is the discussion thread for one of our September BOMs, Ender's Game.

Haley THIS IS MY FAVORITE BOOK OF ALL TIME! I cannot WAIT to hear what everyone thinks!! (I've reread this book like 10 times...)

Mekerei | 37 comments Haley wrote: "THIS IS MY FAVORITE BOOK OF ALL TIME! I cannot WAIT to hear what everyone thinks!! (I've reread this book like 10 times...)"

My favourite too - I've read it nearly every year since I've owned (which amounts to a lot cos I'm owned it since just after it was published!)

I'm a bit apprehensive about the movie - because "THIS IS MY FAVORITE BOOK OF ALL TIME!"

Haley Haha, I've had it since I was a fifth grader (I'm a junior in college now), and I pick it up and read it all the time! It's the only book I'll never ever ever get tired of :)

I'm pretty nervous about the movie, too, especially since Hollywood has recently taken all the books I really like and turned them into poor film adaptations... Ender's a little too old in the movie—though I do like that actor a lot and I think he'll be good!—and I don't like that Harrison Ford was cast since he's such a big name. Ha, I'm just really picky about how this story should be portrayed!

Jodi (readinbooks) I love this book. I read it this summer. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

Katie.g | 129 comments Got the book ready and waiting to be read :-)

Evan | 36 comments I'd read the original three in the series at least twice. I've since acquired the audio book which I listen to once or twice a year.

Card is happy with the final film product. That makes me hopeful.

Haley Evan Torelli wrote: "I'd read the original three in the series at least twice. I've since acquired the audio book which I listen to once or twice a year.

Card is happy with the final film product. That makes me hopeful."

I heard that, but Card also doesn't think very highly of Ender's Game from what I've heard. He didn't ever plan or necessarily want it to be as big as it became, so I'm worried that he didn't care too much if the movie came out as true to the book as the readers wanted it...

Lynsey Haley wrote: "Evan Torelli wrote: "I'd read the original three in the series at least twice. I've since acquired the audio book which I listen to once or twice a year.

Card is happy with the final film product...."

Not to be a negative Nancy, but I don't think the movie is going to measure up. There is just no competing with one's imagination - and because everyone's is different, it makes it even harder to please the masses that have read and enjoyed this book.
Personally, I loved the book and I'm down with seeing the movie. I'm going to try to take it in as something not related, separate, from the book. I think that's the only way I'll be satisfied with the film.

message 10: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

Kristie | 5094 comments I had completely forgotten that the movie was coming out. I'm glad this was chosen as BOM before the movie is released.

Silvia Turcios | 395 comments Wow... after all your comments, I am really excited to start reading this book :)

message 12: by Marina (new)

Marina (clinglikedust) | 1 comments I just took this out from the library, I'm excited to be a part of this this month! :)

Haley Moe wrote: "What is the big deal with Ender's Game? I hear it everywhere I go. I feel like this book is similar to Legend by Marie Lu."

I haven't read Legend. But I don't think Ender's Game is anything like it. Ender is a pure sci-fi book, not dystopia, and it actually came out before dystopia was really a genre. It's about a futuristic society in which there have been past alien wars, and Earth is gearing itself for the next one that everyone thinks will come. So in order to get their soldiers and commanders, children are monitored by the government and then accepted into Battle School when they're about six if they make the cut.

Ender is obviously the main character, and he gets accepted into Battle School and goes. So it's really more of a Lord of the Flies situation, where the kids are separated and put into mock armies and pitted against one another, and through all that they create their own society within the school. The book follows Ender specifically and all the things that he goes through at such a young age to become the soldier that the government and the teachers want.

It is an INCREDIBLE read, and even though the kids are portrayed as more intelligent than normal kids their age, it's a very real book about what everyone is going through. Orson Scott Card doesn't lie and make it all happy and okay, and Ender isn't some extra-perfect hero throughout it.

Amanda Zemko | 28 comments Read this in high school only because it was my then boyfriend's favorite book. Have to say, it was one of the only good things to come out of that relationship! lol!

The book was great, the ending was awesome. Completely unpredictable for me (at least at the time I read it.) If you're not a huge sci-fi fan, I would still recommend it. I never really was into space stuff (until I had a son) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. There's enough story beyond the sci-fi stuff to keep you interested.

I'm looking forward to the movie, but I'll probably wait until its out on video. Happy reading everyone!

Laura | 62 comments I just read this one last month and really enjoyed it. I liked the twist at the end, though it ended up being somewhat anticlimactic, I thought.

I'm not sure about the movie - I haven't been all that impressed with the trailers. I will have to wait and see what the reviews are like!

I just wish the author wasn't so staunchly homophobic. I'd heard about the controversy surrounding him before I read the book, and it did color my perception of the story. I think I would have liked it more if I hadn't known about him.

Summer (paradisecity) | 33 comments Laura wrote: " just wish the author wasn't so staunchly homophobic. I'd heard about the controversy surrounding him before I read the book, and it did color my perception of the story."

Agreed, Laura. The non-apology he gave to Entertainment Weekly (I hope people will show me the tolerance I didn't show them when it comes time to drop money on my movie!) rankled far more than silence would have. I enjoyed the book, but I'm really on the fence about spending money on a movie ticket.

message 17: by Leticia (new)

Leticia | 2 comments im so glad i have that book but i haven't read it yet this will give mw the opportunity to do it finally

message 18: by Kierra (last edited Sep 04, 2013 12:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kierra (karmania) I have only 2 chapters left, and I am waiting for this special cool, awesome, unexpected ending everyone's talking about. It is a good book, but I didn't fall in love with it yet because I still don't see the whole picture and the reasons of treating kids like that. I hope after the last pages it all will become clear.

message 19: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Morro (Unicornsandwich) | 13 comments Everyone is crazy for this book. I just am not. Not my cup of tea. I'll admit it's a good story.

Wendy (temagami) | 54 comments Loved the book of which there are further books, but thought the kids were too young at 6 & 7 to go through the training. I noticed in the movie they're older.

Haley They're older in the movie because I don't think they could get six-year-olds to play the parts correctly... :) Plus the kids grow up in the book, so I think they couldn't show that in the movie and just cast them older to begin with.

I actually really love that the kids were so young in the books, a) because I think it shows how old children can really be without being given credit for it, and b) because I think it makes everything a little more real and a little more terrible that everything they're going through is happening to them so young, in place of their childhoods.

Wendy (temagami) | 54 comments Haley wrote: "They're older in the movie because I don't think they could get six-year-olds to play the parts correctly... :) Plus the kids grow up in the book, so I think they couldn't show that in the movie an..."

I think it would have been more realistic if they'd been between 8-10 which would have had the same affect as you mentioned.

message 23: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate (rx_queen13) | 10 comments I was pretty excited to see this book as a group read and after hearing so many good reviews, I couldn’t wait to get hold of a copy.

I liked the idea that Ender was only six years old in the beginning, it definitely added to the whole lost innocence/childhood theme. Plus the fact that he was exceptionally bright; I think it worked quite well.

Well I’ve just finished and am happy to say I enjoyed it! I felt the simplicity of the language was easy to follow and wasn’t bogged down with jargon and technical terms that some space themed novels entail. I did feel the ending was a little weak though; after following Ender throughout his troubled journey I was expecting something explosive and shocking, yet I felt as a reader I didn’t really get that.

Having said that, I still rate it 5 stars :)

message 24: by Wendy (last edited Sep 06, 2013 05:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wendy (temagami) | 54 comments Kate wrote: "I was pretty excited to see this book as a group read and after hearing so many good reviews, I couldn’t wait to get hold of a copy.

I liked the idea that Ender was only six years old in the begi..."

HI Kate, there are other books in the Ender's Game series so that may be why you thought the ending weak.

Haley From what I've heard about Orson Scott Card, he didn't mean for Ender's Game to be a hit. In the beginning I think it was honestly written as a simple prequel to the rest of the series, which were the books he wanted everyone else to read. So the end is a completely blatant setup for the rest of the books. I actually came to love the ending (though I've read it a few dozen times, by now), because I thought it just drove everything home when Ender spoke about never being able to go home. And I think we get to see him start to try and rectify some of the wrongs he believes he's done, which is a little heartbreaking but touching, in my opinion. Bitterweet :)

Wendy (temagami) | 54 comments Haley wrote: "From what I've heard about Orson Scott Card, he didn't mean for Ender's Game to be a hit. In the beginning I think it was honestly written as a simple prequel to the rest of the series, which were ..."

I agree. I've been reading the rest of the series and you're right that's what Ender was trying to do...sad.

message 27: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate (rx_queen13) | 10 comments Wendy wrote: "Haley wrote: "From what I've heard about Orson Scott Card, he didn't mean for Ender's Game to be a hit. In the beginning I think it was honestly written as a simple prequel to the rest of the serie..."

Thanks guys for your comments, I had planned on reading the rest of the series (overall I thought it was a great read) but your comments have definitely convinced me to carry on and see where the story goes :)

Haley Kate wrote: "Wendy wrote: "Haley wrote: "From what I've heard about Orson Scott Card, he didn't mean for Ender's Game to be a hit. In the beginning I think it was honestly written as a simple prequel to the res..."

I'm really glad you liked it, Kate :) I always love when people love it!

I will say that while the rest of the series is worth reading, it definitely is WAY sci-fi, and those books don't hold quite the same depth as Ender's Game does in my opinion. So I wouldn't go into them thinking they're going to be just as outstanding :D

BUT there's a spinoff series (if it can be called that?) that starts with Ender's Shadow and is from Bean's point of view. The first one, like Ender's Game, is INCREDIBLE, but again the rest of the series doesn't live up to the first book. Ender's Shadow itself follows Bean before he's at Battle School, and then after he meets Ender and so on. REALLY good, and if you liked Ender's Game, you'll love it :)

message 29: by Kate (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kate | 2 comments I just finished the book, and I really don't understand how everyone loves this book. I found it boring and repetitive. The children were all supposed to be such geniuses, but they didn't come across that way at all, and their insults all involved the word fart. Really? That was the best these geniuses could come up with?

Everyone went on and on about amazing, intelligent, gifted, brilliant, etc. Ender was, but he didn't seem any more outstanding than anyone else. I understand his empathy was what was supposedly setting him apart, but his "genius" military tactics were nothing special, so it always seemed like he won the battles because he was Ender (and Ender is "The One")...not because he did anything miraculous.

I was looking forward to seeing the film, but now I think I'll save my $10.

message 30: by Evan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Evan | 36 comments A suggestion to prospective readers: If military tactics and political intrigue don't spark your interest, then you might not like it. There are no lovesick teens in this book either.

Katie.g | 129 comments I really enjoyed this book. Was a great read with some twists I did not expect. Only thing I got slightly annoyed with was that there was always another game. I kept thinking when is he going to graduate and get on with the real thing? After reading it all the way through, it annoyed me less as I understood why.

Michele | 3 comments Hi all-I'm a new member to the group and was psyched to see this book as a current group book as I am reading it now. I will be interested to see everyone's comments!

Jessy (justjessyreading) | 9 comments The wait for Ender's graduation was hard. I thought the graduation would happen in book 5. Lol! But the ending, the ending was just awesome.

message 34: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin (beanandabook) I really didn't think I was going to be able to get into this book, my husband laughed when I picked it up at the library because although I will try to read anything it's defiantly not the usual for me.

I ended up loving it! I didn't want to put it down. I am actually looking forward to reading on in the series

Karen Wapinski Agree with a lot of you, I don't read much sci-fi but this was so well done. I loved how sharply the characters were done, even the disturbing one weren't over-the-top.
The ending just threw me, I loved it

Heather Bowhay | 30 comments Impatiently awaiting for it to arrive from the library! Sounds like it will be worth the wait!

message 37: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Wood | 7 comments Kate wrote: "I just finished the book, and I really don't understand how everyone loves this book. I found it boring and repetitive. The children were all supposed to be such geniuses, but they didn't come acro..."

I agree, I just could not get into all the battle strategies and I felt like reading about battle after battle was very drawn out. There were aspects of the book that I did like, but overall it just never pulled me in. The end while it was a twist, it was very anticlimatic.

Tiffany | 36 comments I loved this book. I'm not a huge sci-fi fan, but this book really pulled me in. I love books that pull me into another world (the night circus was amazing in that regard, also). I was a little mad at the teachers for pushing Ender so hard. I was totally taken by surprise at the battles that he thought was practice and by the world that resembled the video game.

All in all, it was a great book and I couldn't put it down!

Oh and I appreciated the introduction where Card states that he wrote it from the view point of kids who don't feel like kids, but feel like adults. I'm 32, and I remember not feeling like a child when I was one, and being annoyed that I was treated as a child by adults!!

Joer'ct(These battle scars, don't look like they're fading) Phillips (AiodenTheNinjaianHost) | 4 comments I loved this book!!! It is hard for me to even find a book, as I'm extremely picky about what I read. It's also very hard for a 13 year old to find a Sci-Fi book these days thats hard enough to read for school and still understand. I understood "The Host" just fine, but it was the thickness that threw my 7th grade teacher off. Go to Tor.com, they discuss this book alot on their site. This book is also like "The Hunger Games" in a way. 10 out of 5.

message 40: by Elle (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elle (oceanstone) | 2 comments I really liked Ender's Game as I got farther into it, although I didn't like it that much at first.

Joer'ct(These battle scars, don't look like they're fading) Phillips (AiodenTheNinjaianHost) | 4 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I really liked Ender's Game as I got farther into it, although I didn't like it that much at first."

Same here. I found it boring in 6th grade, but I love it!!

Joer'ct(These battle scars, don't look like they're fading) Phillips (AiodenTheNinjaianHost) | 4 comments Haley wrote: "THIS IS MY FAVORITE BOOK OF ALL TIME! I cannot WAIT to hear what everyone thinks!! (I've reread this book like 10 times...)"

They made a MOVIE!!! GO SEE THE MOVIEE!! Dang, I'm so impatient for the DVD to come out!!

message 43: by Soph (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soph | 37 comments with the movie just being released, I thought I'd have a read. I really enjoyed it. I liked all the characters, but had difficulty picturing when in was set. I found some parts a little unrealistic and didn't feel the total hate intended for his brother. Overall, a good read though.