Audiobooks discussion

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
This topic is about The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
Archives > Haruki Murakami Titles Removed from Audible

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karlton (karltonst) | 54 comments My credits finally renewed for the month, and I went to download another Haruki Murakami book, this time *The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle* and it is no longer available on Audible in the US. Oh well, I said to myself, I'll get *Norwegian Wood* until this thing straightens out. Nope, it's not available either. (I've already read the ones that Audible still offers) Does anyone know anything about this?

message 2: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments I don't know what the deal is, but it must be a recent event, because I put Kafka on the Shore in my wish list in July, and I just noticed yesterday that it is no longer available.

Sandi (sandikal) | 420 comments I hope it doesn't affect titles previously purchased.

Karlton (karltonst) | 54 comments I purchased Kafka on the Shore a few months back, and there appears to be a new edition available (8/6/13). I hope they're simply (slowly) replacing old editions with the new.

message 5: by Mirkat (new) - added it

Mirkat | 54 comments Karlton wrote: "I purchased Kafka on the Shore a few months back, and there appears to be a new edition available (8/6/13). I hope they're simply (slowly) replacing old editions with the new."

I wonder why they've done a new edition. I thought the narration was so perfect!

Karlton (karltonst) | 54 comments I think the Kafka audiobook is the same; it's just a Random House release now (instead of Naxos). Just listened to the sample - now I want to listen to the whole thing again!

message 7: by Mirkat (new) - added it

Mirkat | 54 comments Karlton wrote: "I think the Kafka audiobook is the same; it's just a Random House release now (instead of Naxos)."

Oh, that's a relief! :)

Travis (travistousant) | 543 comments I put the wind up bird chronicle on my wishlist before I went to bed one night. the next day at lunch I decided I would go buy it and not available in US. So yes it is all recent events

message 9: by John, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

John | 3643 comments Sandi wrote: "I hope it doesn't affect titles previously purchased."

No, it doesn't. I just downloaded Part One of The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle to my hard drive as usual, no problem.

message 10: by Tim (new) - added it

Tim | 167 comments The ones of his I know are still for sale at Audible are: Dance Dance Dance, After Dark, Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman, and After the Quake. There may be a few others, but all the other ones in my Wish List of his aren't available. I haven't checked my Library.

I'm guessing that the audiobook rights were ended for the particular publisher(s). I'm hoping that new ones will be made available. I had been slowly buying them one at a time.

Karlton (karltonst) | 54 comments Crisis averted? Audible now shows Blind Willow Sleeping Woman, Norwegian Wood, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, and a new one (!) Underground: The Tokyo Gas Attack . . . available Tuesday 9/03/13. What a relief. For a while there, I thought I'd slipped into a Murakamian alternate universe.

message 12: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments Karlton wrote: "Crisis averted? Audible now shows Blind Willow Sleeping Woman, Norwegian Wood, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, and a new one (!) Underground: The Tokyo Gas Attack . . . available Tuesday 9/03/13. What..."

Still no Kafka on the Shore. I'll have to keep watching for it.

message 13: by Mirkat (new) - added it

Mirkat | 54 comments Karlton wrote: "What a relief. For a while there, I thought I'd slipped into a Murakamian alternate universe."

I can see it--the only way to access certain Murakami audiobooks would be to enter an alternate timeline. You will notice that small details are different, and perhaps there will be two moons in the sky. ;)

message 14: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments Mirkat wrote: "Karlton wrote: "What a relief. For a while there, I thought I'd slipped into a Murakamian alternate universe."

I can see it--the only way to access certain Murakami audiobooks would be to enter an..."

:)

Oh, I see now a different version than what was in my wish list is available. I'll probably just remove the old version.

message 15: by Laura (last edited Sep 02, 2013 09:19AM) (new) - added it

Laura (apenandzen) | 102 comments My Wind-Up Bird that I'd purchased long ago is still in my library too. And I was able to download it again, to a different device.

Louise | 48 comments Have you listened to The Elephant Vanishes: Stories? I listened to it through Audible and really enjoyed it.

Barth Siemens (barthsiemens) This Canadian is highly disappointed that access to Kafka on the Shore was recently blocked. Thanks for nothing, Random House.