Read by Theme discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
What We're Reading > Sept. 2013: Weird/Unusual Titles

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amara, Group Creator (last edited Aug 26, 2013 04:48PM) (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) | 733 comments The poll for September theme has ended, and the winner is "Weird/Odd/Unusual Titles".

So now it's time to see what book you'll be reading in the upcoming month! For this theme, you can read any fiction or nonfiction, with a title that you personally find weird, odd, or unusual. Obviously, this is a very subjective theme, and what constitutes a "weird" or "unusual" title is up to each individual member.

If you need help finding or choosing a book for this theme, you can ask for suggestions in the thread below or head over to our "Pick It For Me" thread or check out the Odd Titles Listopia. (Also, feel free to contribute votes to the Listopia!)

Remember that once you've finished your book(s) for the month, you're always welcome to start a discussion topic in the month's folder (which works best if there are others in the group who have read or are currently reading the book in question) or post your thoughts (or just drop a link to your review!) in the thread below.

And don't forget to vote on the poll for October's theme. The poll for November's theme will be open for voting on September first.

Happy reading, everyone!

╟ ♫ Tima ♪ ╣ ♥ (tsunanisaurus) Isn't this for September's theme and not August's? ;)

message 3: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) | 733 comments Tima wrote: "Isn't this for September's theme and not August's? ;)"

Whoops! Updated the link, but not the text. D:

Fixed now. :)

message 4: by Lesley (new)

Lesley I'll be reading Ghana Must Go.

message 6: by Tara (new)

Tara | 35 comments I'll read Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg Lean In Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg

message 7: by Sara (new)

Sara Weather (saraweather) I will be reading Happy Mutant Baby Pills by Jerry Stahl

message 8: by Jana (new)

Jana (jana_marie) | 26 comments I will read Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees .

message 9: by Jayme (new)

Jayme I'm either going to read Southern Cross the Dog by Bill Cheng or A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra maybe both :)

message 10: by Shomeret (last edited Sep 01, 2013 01:17PM) (new)

Shomeret | 69 comments I'm reading the oddly titled book The See-Through Leopardby Sibel Hodge which is about an American teenager who lost her mother in a tragic accident. She is assisted in her recovery by a leopard cub on a game reserve in Kenya. I have passed the 50% mark this morning and it's wonderful.

message 11: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) Even though I joined "Team Rebel" for September and am reading Unbowed, I'm going to throw in one of my favorite books whose title still intrigues me: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. I've read it three times, and while the film is very good, the book is (for me) incredible.

message 12: by Lorna (new)

Lorna I'll read Don't Sleep, There are Snakes: Life and Language in the Amazonian Jungle.

message 13: by Claire-Jane (last edited Sep 02, 2013 12:47AM) (new)

Claire-Jane My first odd title will be . . .

The Squirrel Machine by Hans Rickheit The Squirrel Machine

message 15: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Qualia | 15 comments As soon as I finish the books I'm reading now, I will start The Song of the Quarkbeast (The Last Dragonslayer, #2) by Jasper Fforde and An Abundance of Katherines by John Green .

message 17: by Julie (new)

Julie Boudreau (julieboudreau) | 3 comments I'm going with a small book called "Le château des petits hommes verts", which can be translated in "The castle of the little green men", by Yves Thériault, starring none other than the famous (oh so famous) canadian secret agent, Volpek (like that's a canadian name) :-) Cute kitschy book from 1966.

message 18: by Paula (new)

Paula (eden1013) Got a back log of other books that I want to get through so I'll do a short one. Either Ghost a la Mode or The Accidental Demon Slayer.

message 19: by Felicia (new)

Felicia (flux336) | 41 comments I will be reading Odd and the Frost Giants by Neil Gaiman

message 21: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 28 comments I'm reading The Emperor of Portugallia by the Swedish author Selma Lagerlöf. I'm reading it for Swedish class and thought the titel fulfilled the criteria for weirdness.

message 22: by Anne (last edited Sep 08, 2013 01:44PM) (new)

Anne | 68 comments when I get through my August read I will be starting on Tigers In Red Weather by Lisa Klaussmann Tigers in Red Weather by Lisa Klaussmann

message 23: by Sara (new)

Sara | 57 comments I will be reading "Happiness Sold Separately" and "My Russian Grandmother & her American vacuum cleaner"!

message 25: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla I have a book on my Mtbr shelf that qualifies: How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe. I could read it when I finish Синдром Петрушки, which has a peculiar title on its own.

message 26: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) I'm really looking forward to any discussions, if a few people are reading the same book :-) These titles are intriguing!

message 27: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla I also decided to finish 14 by Peter Clines , of which I have an audio edition. I had mixed feelings, let's see how it ends! The title fits this month's theme in a cool way.

message 29: by Claire-Jane (last edited Sep 18, 2013 10:25AM) (new)

message 30: by Jaclyn (new)

Jaclyn Harrison | 35 comments Rather than pick a weird/unusual title, I decided to interpret the theme as having the words weird/unusual/odd/etc. in the title. I've never read a Dean Koontz, but have been wanting to for a long time, so my book this month will be Odd Thomas.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Now that's a title!

message 33: by Candace (new)

Candace | 59 comments I read Lullabies for Little Criminals, which was amazing!

message 35: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla I'm done with 14 by Peter Clines and reading The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson right now

message 36: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I ended up being a theme rebel this month as i haven't read any of the odd titled books I have.

I read these instead:

Dark Lycan (Dark, #24) by Christine Feehan The Rose and the Beast Fairy Tales Retold by Francesca Lia Block Christine by Stephen King

and the rest of the month will be:
Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Thankless in Death (In Death, #37) by J.D. Robb

None were weird titles but they were pretty good books.

message 37: by Marty (new)

Marty Selnick (MartySelnick) | 22 comments I read And the Mountains Echoed
And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini and now I'm reading Dissident Gardens Dissident Gardens by Jonathan Lethem . I guess I'm reading off theme since they are not really odd titles.

message 38: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 54 comments I just started Bacon and Egg Man

message 39: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla I finished The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson ! It lived up to the expectations. Welcome to the discussion in this month's folder

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.