Bailey's/Orange Women's Fiction Group discussion

2014 Books > Mateship with birds

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Penny (new)

Penny | 680 comments Mod
OCTOBER BOOK
Mateship With Birds by Carrie Tiffany

this won the poll for our October read - hope you will be able to join us!!

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan I found this a very odd book - I did not warm to any of the characters, or feel very involved with them.

message 3: by Val (new)

Val I think the problem with the book is that the humans and the animals are all watched from outside, we know what they do but not how they feel. (What is the opposite of anthropomorphism?) It is like a naturalists notebook of behaviour. I think it was deliberate on the author's part, but it makes it difficult to care about the characters.

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan Yes, everyone was making notes - it did create a distance. I doubt I would try another of her books, which is always the test.

message 5: by Val (new)

Val I was quite disappointed with this book and sorry I nominated it. The idea was good and the writing is good too a lot of the time (I loved Harry's birdwatching notes) but it would have been much more enjoyable if I had cared about any of the characters.

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan When I looked the book up the synopsis looked interesting - you can't be blamed for nominating it, as it did look a good read. However, it wasn't, but it was, at least, short :)

message 7: by Penny (new)

Penny | 680 comments Mod
I am halfway through but not particularly grabbed by it!!

Still - we wouldnt know unless we tried it and it made the list so others must have liked it!!

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan Never sure about book prizes. Do judges just pick books they like - or is it due to pushing publishers (the Booker has had some odd choices over the years from small indie publishing houses) or wanting a variety of styles, authors, even countries chosen. I am quite cynical about these prizes, even though I feel the shortlist is usually on merit.

message 9: by Penny (new)

Penny | 680 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "Never sure about book prizes. Do judges just pick books they like - or is it due to pushing publishers (the Booker has had some odd choices over the years from small indie publishing houses) or wa..."

that's interesting Susan - you feel the shortlist is more reliable than the winner? I have consistently found the Booker to be dire!!! The odd one has been OK but loads I have found unreadable!!
This one is definitely odd - due to that I am plodding through slowly!

message 10: by Penny (last edited Oct 24, 2013 12:46AM) (new)

Penny | 680 comments Mod
Well I have finally finished this - I wouldnt have kept going if I hadnt been in the group!!!! So much clinical detail of sex and sexual organs, so little empathy with the characters, so much exposed but not opened up - ooooooh dear!! better watch how I put this!! I disliked all of the characters, I didnt understand what motivated any of them.

The best parts for me was the bird stuff and the farm setting which at times were poetical but then it turned into soupy slush!!!

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan I did not warm to any of the characters either, Penny. I don't even like birds, so that part didn't appeal to be honest! However, the prose was good and I could see what the author was trying to say, even if I don't think the concept was really pulled off successfully.

Bailey's/Orange Women's Fiction Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Mateship with Birds (other topics)