Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Poetry > My next book cover.

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalivingstone) | 134 comments I really need feedback on my next book cover. I don't know how to post photos here, but I have them on my Fb page. Would any of you be kind enough to pop on over and tell me whcih book cover is the most visually appealing please? https://www.facebook.com/TreasureChes...

message 2: by C.M.J. (new)

C.M.J. Wallace | 193 comments Hi, Loretta,

The cover with the woman is more balanced, as in composition, but the one with the guitar is more interesting.

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelleabbott) | 86 comments That was a tough choice, I like them both. I think I slightly prefer the one of the guitar on the grass.

message 4: by Cate (new)

Cate (catesbooknuthut) | 75 comments I like them both, but after having read your work, I think that the guitar on the grass is more fitting.

message 5: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 491 comments Hard choice and I have to sympathize with you since I have been through the same dilemma recently.
I like the balance of the one with the lady better, and it leaves you room to put the author's name.
The grass one is more intriguing but as mentioned above, where will you put the author's name?
If they are pictures you took, I wonder if trying to put the guitar, shoes, and hat somewhere on the log or above on the path would be another option. It would keep the picture balanced and add the intriguing idea of the grass one.
Now my reason to say that is that I much prefer the look of the log over the look of the grass. :P

It would also help to have an idea of what the book is about.
Good luck!

message 6: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalivingstone) | 134 comments Thanks Cate. I'm logging everyone's opinion at the mo and hoping one will be a clear winner. If they come to a dead tie, I'm in trouble, lol. Ginette thanks too. The book is general poetry. There are poems about love, God, life. They are fairly light, and I would describe them a slightly more down to earth than ethereal. The title poem is about the rhythms of life that you hear all around you from birth to death.

message 7: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalivingstone) | 134 comments I juat added a slight variation on the abandoned guitar pic as someone said the font looked like something found in a public restroom - eeek! So there is now a third option here. https://www.facebook.com/TreasureChes...

message 8: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalivingstone) | 134 comments C.M.J. wrote: "Hi, Loretta,

The cover with the woman is more balanced, as in composition, but the one with the guitar is more interesting."

Thank you. I have changed the abandoned guitar composition slightly. Does it look more balanced now? https://www.facebook.com/TreasureChes...

message 9: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 491 comments Ah! I just saw you redid the one on the grass, and it is so much better than the first one! It's definitely more balanced.

(Sorry to add more of my comments here.)

message 10: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalivingstone) | 134 comments Ginette wrote: "Ah! I just saw you redid the one on the grass, and it is so much better than the first one! It's definitely more balanced.

(Sorry to add more of my comments here.)"

Please don't feel you have to apologise, I'm delighted to have your comments and I thank you for taking the time to have another look. It's getting quite tricky as some people actually dislike the abandoned guitar. But I am hoping to have a clear winner in a few days. And it's good to know that the composition is better. I am slightly worried about the patchy grass.do people want perfection, or is patchy fine?

message 11: by C.M.J. (new)

C.M.J. Wallace | 193 comments Loretta wrote: "C.M.J. wrote: "Hi, Loretta,

The cover with the woman is more balanced, as in composition, but the one with the guitar is more interesting."

Thank you. I have changed the abandoned guitar composit..."

Yes, it's much better. Good job!

message 12: by Ruth (new)

Ruth The one with only the guitar is much more evocative. We deeply feel the presence of someone who has just left the picture. The one with the woman is just that. A woman playing a guitar. Ho. Hum.

Think the title could use some work, though. It's pretty predictable. Maybe just cut it to Rhythms? Or find a new one altogether?

message 13: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalivingstone) | 134 comments Ruth wrote: "The one with only the guitar is much more evocative. We deeply feel the presence of someone who has just left the picture. The one with the woman is just that. A woman playing a guitar. Ho. Hum.
..."

Thanks so much Ruth. I appreciate that. My husband and I thought it was more evocative too. I'll have a think about the title, too.

message 14: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2189 comments Definitely feeling the one with the guitar and other items on the grass. It shows good symbolism and has a good traditional look overall.

message 15: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalivingstone) | 134 comments Justin wrote: "Definitely feeling the one with the guitar and other items on the grass. It shows good symbolism and has a good traditional look overall."

Thanks Justin.

message 16: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalivingstone) | 134 comments So far it is neck and neck, with the abandoned guitar ahead by one vote.

message 17: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalivingstone) | 134 comments Loretta wrote: "Justin wrote: "Definitely feeling the one with the guitar and other items on the grass. It shows good symbolism and has a good traditional look overall."

Thanks Justin."

I really appreciate the mention of symbolism, as that was what I was aiming for.

message 18: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalivingstone) | 134 comments Michelle wrote: "That was a tough choice, I like them both. I think I slightly prefer the one of the guitar on the grass."

Thanks Michelle.

message 19: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalivingstone) | 134 comments Oh no! I thought of another one. A cornfield with the guitar. Anyone care to take a look. I promise I won't add any more. https://www.facebook.com/groups/loret...

message 20: by C.M.J. (new)

C.M.J. Wallace | 193 comments If it's symbolism you're looking for, then the wheat (?) field speaks of change, maturity, bounty, you name it. But I still like the original pic with the guitar better!

message 21: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalivingstone) | 134 comments Ginette wrote: "Ah! I just saw you redid the one on the grass, and it is so much better than the first one! It's definitely more balanced.

(Sorry to add more of my comments here.)"

Sorry Ginette. I'm just trying to collate all the answers now so, to clarify, do you mean the new, improved abandoned guitar on the grass is the top pick for you now? Or does the log still have it?

message 22: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 491 comments Hard to tell... I just went back to check again. I can almost 'see' the wheat field move under the breeze, but in the end, it's just wheat. I still LOVE the log itself, but the picture feels like a cd cover more than a book cover.
So my choice would be the latest grass picture. As for the patches, well, I have to admit that the first thing that came to my mind was that you had dogs, but then again, aren't dogs part of the Rhythm of Life? :P

message 23: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalivingstone) | 134 comments Ginette wrote: "Hard to tell... I just went back to check again. I can almost 'see' the wheat field move under the breeze, but in the end, it's just wheat. I still LOVE the log itself, but the picture feels like a..."

Lol, no dogs! But the neighbourhood cats simply adore my garden. Haha. And cats have a rhythm all of their own! I am getting so many different answers that I'm hoping it won't simply add to my confusion. But I am carefully recording all votes and comments, and I guess I will have to go with the majority vote. I really thank you for taking the time to have another look and give me more feedback. :)

message 24: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 491 comments There is one more thing that might help you decide. Your picture right now is square. I don't know about Poetry books but ordinary books are usually higher than wide. Maybe if you try to modify the picture to fit the standard, it will be easier for you to see which one would fit better?

message 25: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalivingstone) | 134 comments Ginette wrote: "There is one more thing that might help you decide. Your picture right now is square. I don't know about Poetry books but ordinary books are usually higher than wide. Maybe if you try to modify the..."

It may show up on fb as square, but it really isn't. It is a standard shape and size, so it won't be a problem. If you click on the fb image you can see the full picture Ginette. It just condenses it until it is clicked on. Thanks though.

message 26: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 491 comments OH! /blush
How stupid of me!
Well can I change my vote then? I much prefer the wheat one! (and not dog/cat evidence there :P)

message 27: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalivingstone) | 134 comments Ginette wrote: "OH! /blush
How stupid of me!
Well can I change my vote then? I much prefer the wheat one! (and not dog/cat evidence there :P)"

Lol! I can be pretty daft myself sometimes. Of course you can. Hehe. I have to say that the cornfield is getting the least votes so far.

message 28: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 491 comments Are you kidding me? I think it looks peaceful, less dramatic. But I also have to admit that autumn is my favorite season so the cream always appeals to me more than the greens or the purples.

message 29: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalivingstone) | 134 comments Ginette wrote: "Are you kidding me? I think it looks peaceful, less dramatic. But I also have to admit that autumn is my favorite season so the cream always appeals to me more than the greens or the purples."

Lol. I love all of them - of course, since I designed them but ultimately I have to pick whatever has the mass appeal. But I think the cornfield is pretty nice, myself. I guess each of them have a different appeal. Pity I can't use all three.