Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Two profiles for one author: both have different editions of the same books lisited?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alma Q (new)

Alma Q (staticatku) | 555 comments So, what should be done with these?

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

I am not familiar with the author and cannot tell which editions do really exist, but it seems obvious that
1. the latter profile is not active, and
2. they both mean the same author.

Could somebody please help a newbie? =)

message 2: by Plethora (new)

Plethora (bookworm_r) | 359 comments The Study Series book appears to be valid by checking worldcat for the ISBN.

So that one needs to have the author name corrected with Capitals and the . after initial. Then combined with the other Study Series bundle books on author profile.

message 3: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments Posted in the GR Author merge thread for rivka to deal with.

message 4: by Plethora (new)

Plethora (bookworm_r) | 359 comments Paula - Can you enlightening me as to why we would not correct the books and move them to the correct author profile. Then combine the books with the other editions.

Then the empty author profile would be auto-removed with script as being a blank profile?

Not questioning you, as I see your a super. Just inquiring minds want to know.

message 5: by Plethora (new)

Plethora (bookworm_r) | 359 comments For the Storm Glass books, I didn't have as much luck. They did appear to be auto imports, so I would say they are valid. One of the editions has all 5 reviews attached, so I would say its valid. The one with an ISBN13 I found on worldcat, so appears valid as well.

message 6: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Bookworm R wrote: "Paula - Can you enlightening me as to why we would not correct the books and move them to the correct author profile. Then combine the books with the other editions. "

There is more to an author profile than just a list of books. It can include fans, followers, quotes, videos, polls, "Topics Mentioning This Author", lists, series, blogs, stories, etc etc. When Rivka does her mega merge all that stuff goes over to the Goodreads Author profile. Otherwise they will just sit there and prevent the not-empty profile from ever being deleted by the magic script.

message 7: by Plethora (new)

Plethora (bookworm_r) | 359 comments Thank you Banjomike. I didn't think of those parts. Is it easy to tell from the author page if it would be auto-scripted away versus requiring a merge?

message 8: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Bookworm R wrote: "Thank you Banjomike. I didn't think of those parts. Is it easy to tell from the author page if it would be auto-scripted away versus requiring a merge?"

I tend to assume that it will require a merge unless it is really obvious that it doesn't. Typically that might be because the profile was created by one single book being added. In that case I might just move the book. But the rule is, "When in doubt post it for a merge".

I've never seen the script or its aftermath so I don't know what that might do.

message 9: by Plethora (new)

Plethora (bookworm_r) | 359 comments Do you know if it is easier on Rivka if we clean-up/move the books first and then request a merge?

message 10: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Bookworm R wrote: "Do you know if it is easier on Rivka if we clean-up/move the books first and then request a merge?"

Seems like a waste of time to move some books and THEN ask Rivka to merge the profiles which moves EVERYTHING.

message 11: by Plethora (new)

Plethora (bookworm_r) | 359 comments Banjomike wrote: "Bookworm R wrote: "Do you know if it is easier on Rivka if we clean-up/move the books first and then request a merge?"

Seems like a waste of time to move some books and THEN ask Rivka to merge the..."

Just didn't know if it creates more work. Just because if moves the books doesn't mean they combine with the other editions automatically.

Oh well, maybe Rivka will pop-in and add some info.

message 12: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41973 comments Mod
If the only items on the profile are books, then the clean-up script will get the profile eventually if the books are all moved. If it has fans, or quotes, or other content, there's no point in moving the books; just post it for me.

message 13: by Alma Q (new)

Alma Q (staticatku) | 555 comments Souds logical.
Thanks for helping, everyone :)