Goodreads Singapore discussion

S.A.I.N.T.S. Song of Winds
This topic is about S.A.I.N.T.S. Song of Winds
new books, events & giveaways > Popular Readers' Choice Awards 2013

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Julian Kim | 9 comments I'm not sure what happened, but my book seems to have been nominated as one of ten books for the "Popular Readers' Choice Awards 2013" in the English adult category. It's weird... nobody tells me anything (least of all my publisher). Voting is open to anyone living in Singapore (hint hint).

http://www.popular.com.sg/readerschoice/

message 2: by Priscillia (new)

Priscillia (prickylia) | 2 comments voted for you! good luck!

Julian Kim | 9 comments Priscillia wrote: "voted for you! good luck!"

Thanks so much!

Julian Kim | 9 comments Julian wrote: "Priscillia wrote: "voted for you! good luck!"

Thanks so much!"

Priscilla,
May I ask you a question? I'm trying to figure out what kind of book event would help in creating awareness for my book. My publisher doesn't spend any advertising money, so I have to figure out for myself the best way to promote it. Any thoughts?

message 5: by Priscillia (new)

Priscillia (prickylia) | 2 comments hey Julian,
You mentioned that your book is in Popular and Kinokuniya right? I'm guessing that these two places are less concerned about promoting local publications than the real activists do, so you can probably try placing them in Booksactually, or donate a few copies to regional libraries. You could also probably get a few literary sites like The Millions to get a shout out as well, if a writeup might seem too much a request.

The National Arts Council and the National Book Development Council would also be more than glad to allow for a feature in their publications, I guess.
Good luck!

Julian Kim | 9 comments Priscillia wrote: "hey Julian,
You mentioned that your book is in Popular and Kinokuniya right? I'm guessing that these two places are less concerned about promoting local publications than the real activists do, s..."

Thanks for your good advice! I will check out Booksactually, The Millions and also donate some copies. I will also contact NAC (who selected my book for their "Beyond Words" fiction award)and NBDC.
Your a pro!

Michael (mtw1tter) | 61 comments Mod
Do reach out to @sgliterature (I assume that's NAC in social media) and you might consider getting another publisher as well, when the party's over with NAC/STPress.

It is remarkable what a new formatting and a well-thought out cover does for a book. As it is, the current one is really bad and the formatting of the text makes it pretty tough to read without getting distracted by all that white spaces on the book.

Have a word with Epigram (they work with NAC as well) and see if there's anything you can do with them. They are pretty strong with the design/marketing end of business.

Julian Kim | 9 comments Michael wrote: "Do reach out to @sgliterature (I assume that's NAC in social media) and you might consider getting another publisher as well, when the party's over with NAC/STPress.

It is remarkable what a new f..."

Thanks, Michael, for your good advice.

I must admit, I do concur with your views. In this case, being my first publication, there was little leeway for selection of publisher or negotiation of terms. After the NAC selected my book as their fiction contest winner, the selection of STP as publisher was automatic. With that, I also had little choice in terms of book cover and formatting. I'm also not crazy about the cover. As for terms, I'm afraid I'm locked in for 10 years and they also have the international rights. But what is most frustrating of all is that they have zero interest in marketing the book and have zero budget for advertising and promotion. Also, they have no intention of going out and talking to foreign publishers. At this stage, my hope is that the book becomes popular enough so that the sequel can be done properly through a more vibrant publisher.
In any case, I greatly appreciate your valuable advise and input. Despite the hardware shortfall of the book, I quite look forward to hearing your views on the story. There are a few grammatical typos which, unfortunately, I've uncovered after the book was published - I hope you'll be able to overlook them.
Let's keep chatting.

It's not you - it's them. I have, unfortunately panned 2 books already in the collection (it's the book, not the author) and getting around to reading yours and 2 more YA younger books (which hopefully will restore my faith in local YA books, but I doubt that very much)
There is a "weirdness", a lack of credibility and flatness in the other books so far, despite being YA/steampunk/relationship books.

Julian Kim | 9 comments You're a tough and honest critique and I appreciate that. That's why I loved watching Simon Cowell on American Idol.
My book is actually not very "Singaporean" - I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. One of the characters is Chinese-Singaporean, but that's about all. The rest happens through 2 epochs and mostly in 2 foreign countries. Let's see if I somehow managed to avoid the curse of "weirdness" or "flatness" - you be the judge.
Talk soon.

Julian wrote: "You're a tough and honest critique and I appreciate that. That's why I loved watching Simon Cowell on American Idol.
My book is actually not very "Singaporean" - I don't know if that's a good thing..."

I am not catholic or (Singaporean) with my reading. Bad writing is just that, bad. Plots which meander and goes nowhere is a waste of a reader's time and effort. The delusion that YA books need to be more than 500 pages so let's just space out the text because hey, that's what they do with american YA books is just misguided. YA is a great space for a writer because one can get away without being tethered to 'reality' but the best ones still obey good grammar and sensible characterisation. One can't escape that.