Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Bulletin Board > Poll on reviews

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 848 comments I am trying to do some research on how much reviews influence readers. Please check the poll here, yes I know buying habits are affected by a number of factors but please consider what is MOST important. http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/89...

message 2: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 848 comments Cheers. In many of the reader interviews I have run reviews seem to be further down the list than you would think.

message 3: by R.A. (new)

R.A. White (rawhite) | 361 comments I think maybe the number of reviews has more bearing-for some reason seeing that a book has 80 or 500 reviews gives it more credibility in my mind. Not saying that's good, since I only have 14 reviews myself on Amazon, but it is significant to me.

message 4: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 491 comments I'd go with the good synopsis. I have skipped over books with great reviews because of bad descriptions. When it's too long and wordy, I don't even read it and I certainly don't buy the book. I want to discover the story, not know everything that will happen before I even open the book.
The cover might catch my attention, but I will buy a book with a poorly designed cover if the synopsis appeals to me, but never the other way around.
Last, I have bought books based on bad reviews only and have enjoyed them so unless the review expresses a doubt the synopsis had already left in my mind, I will not heed to the bad reviews.

message 5: by Scott (new)

Scott Skipper | 49 comments I never read reviews but I am scrupulous about writing them and Amazon frequently sends me an email advising that somebody said my review was helpful. I always think 'if you liked my review so much why don't you go look at my books?'

My own decision to download a sample is driven by the blurb.

message 6: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2163 comments Nice post Alexandra. One of those topics all of us always wonder about.

message 7: by A.L. (last edited Aug 26, 2013 02:55PM) (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 848 comments Yes, authors seem to crave them, although like anyone we want to be told our work is good.

I have to say usually by the time I get to the review I have made my mind up.
I would say:
Synopsis,
recommendation,
cover,
review.

message 8: by Alexes (new)

Alexes | 122 comments I always read the reviews if I'm trying to decide on a book. My decision-making order is blurb, reviews, preview. I agree with Ginette about hating long blurbs!

message 9: by Jenelle (new)

Jenelle It hasn't come up here... but for me, honestly, it's often the title that draws my attention first (as I tend to hang out in the sci-fi fantasy section... so maybe it's actually genre that grabs me FIRST...). Title... quick glance at the cover art, read the synopsis... and if all that is intriguing... I go check it out of the library. If I love it, I'll go back and buy it. I tend to only buy books I have already read and know I love enough to re-read. (Which might make you think I don't own many books, but on the contrary, I own hundreds of books). :)

message 10: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 138 comments Synopsis comes first, but if the synopsis is inadequate then I hope there will be information in reviews that will allow me to make a decision.

OTOH, I recently read a book that was sent to me for review that I would never have read based on the synopsis. The synopsis was misleading about the genre of the novel. Since many readers do make their decisions based on the synopsis, it's important to be accurate--especially when it comes to genre. Genre defines your audience. If you give people a misleading impression of the genre because there are more people who read the genre, the result will be a great many irate readers who will feel they were tricked.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Amazing topic! It gave me many insights as a debutant author of Fiction... For me there are several factors, but definitely a good synopsis, and recommendations...

message 12: by Arabella (new)

Arabella Thorne (arabella_thornejunocom) | 354 comments I have to go with the first thing that catches my eye...the cover and/or the title. Then I read the synopsis...and if I like it--then its a sale..
But I will agree I've read some synopsis' that were misleading at least to me and the book just didn't pull together like I had expected.