Fantasy Aficionados discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Reads Archive > October 2013--Urban Fantasy suggestions

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (last edited Aug 29, 2013 07:21AM) (new)

carol. | 2616 comments As always
--If your nomination wins, you lead the read! Your chance to share your book-love.
--we'll take ten nominations, give or take interest
--check the Monthly Reads Urban Fantasy for past winners

Nominations
Discount Armageddon-Grant
Boy's Life--Mike
A Madness of Angels--carol
Brown Girl in the Ring--Carly
Perdido Street Station--Anirudh
The Last Coin--David

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll nominate Discount Armageddon.

message 3: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 39 comments ☠The Dread Pirate Grant☠ wrote: "I'll nominate Discount Armageddon."

I second this one. Sounds like it could be a fun read.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments How about Boy's Life.

message 5: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments I've had a couple friends enjoy A Madness of Angels, so if it wins, I'll have my excuse to bump it up.

I do like Discount Amrageddon, and Mike's book sounds very interesting as well.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments It's one of my all time favorites and also one of those rare books that can appeal to different people. My wife and I both rated it as a favorite (something that seldom happened as she was a horror fan while I'm more a fantasy fan). My brother and I both liked it, and we never agree. I'm a reformed minister he's a catholic. I was a commercial refrigeration tech for 25 years, he's a psychiatrist...I'm conservative, he's liberal, but we both liked this book.

Anyway, it's a good book.

:)

message 7: by Carly (new)

Carly (dawnsio_ar_y_dibyn) | 192 comments Nalo Hopkinson was recently recommended in a discussion about more diversity in urban fantasy, so I'd like to nominate Brown Girl in the Ring. It sounds like it fuses Caribbean mythology with a semi-dystopian Toronto.

message 8: by Anirudh (new)

Anirudh (tewathia) | 2 comments I'm not sure if this qualifies as urban fantasy or not, but how about China Mieville's Perdido Street Station?

message 9: by Hélène (new)

Hélène (hlneb) | 9 comments I'll second A Madness of Angels.

message 10: by Carly (new)

Carly (dawnsio_ar_y_dibyn) | 192 comments Anirudh wrote: "I'm not sure if this qualifies as urban fantasy or not, but how about China Mieville's Perdido Street Station?"

I keep meaning to read this. I can't tell if nominations need to be seconded here, but if they do, I'll second it.

message 11: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah Carly wrote: "Nalo Hopkinson was recently recommended in a discussion about more diversity in urban fantasy, so I'd like to nominate Brown Girl in the Ring. It sounds like it fuses Caribbean mythology with a se..."

Oh I will second that! I read it a few years back and would love to read it again It is REALLY different from all the new stuff out there,highly original,well written, really good!

I am not nominating anything this time because if the book gets chosen, I'll have to lead the discussion 2 months in a row!

message 12: by Carly (new)

Carly (dawnsio_ar_y_dibyn) | 192 comments Jalilah wrote: "Oh I will second that! I read it a few years back and would love to read it again It is REALLY different from all the new stuff out there,highly original,well written, really good!..."

I can't remember where the diversity in UF discussion happened, but I think you were the one who recommended Hopkinson :) It looks really interesting!

message 13: by Jalilah (last edited Aug 29, 2013 05:45AM) (new)

Jalilah Carly wrote: "Jalilah wrote: "Oh I will second that! I read it a few years back and would love to read it again It is REALLY different from all the new stuff out there,highly original,well written, really good!...."

I have definitely recommended Hopkinson in other discussions, just not nominated her this time.

Here is the blurb for Girl in the Brown Ring :
"The rich and privileged have fled the city, barricaded it behind roadblocks, and left it to crumble. The inner city has had to rediscover old ways-farming, barter, herb lore. But now the monied need a harvest of bodies, and so they prey upon the helpless of the streets. With nowhere to turn, a young woman must open herself to ancient truths, eternal powers, and the tragic mystery surrounding her mother and grandmother. She must bargain with gods, and give birth to new legends."

message 14: by David (new)

David Merrill | 17 comments I nominate The Last Coin by James P. Blaylock. The Last Coin It's probably my all time favorite urban fantasy, although, from looking at the book shelf, I see things that don't fit cleanly under that heading for me, so that's debatable.

message 15: by Christine (new)

Christine (graell) I would like to second Boy's Life. Always meant to read something by that author as I've heard he's excellent. And this one, according to my best friend, is a kind of cross over amongst his works. Sounds really good.

message 16: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

message 17: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments Run-off poll. Up for 6 days:
http://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/35...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.