Mostly Literary Fiction Book Discussion Group discussion

The Perfect Man (6/09) > Secrets and Imagination - Suggested Topic of Discussion from Naeem Murr

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally (new)

Sally (Mostly_Literary) | 72 comments Mod
The following is a quote from the author for consideration and discussion:

"For children, adults, particularly parents, stand between them and the world before they were born as well as the world beyond childhood. The more secretive and mysterious that adult is, the more imaginative that child is forced to be about what once existed and what lies ahead. In general, mystery, silence, is what provokes imagination, and that is not always a bad thing. Is it not even the first kind of spiritual life we experience?"

What do you think about this, in your own experience and/or as related to The Perfect Man?

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Lemaster (21treehugger) | 36 comments I find Murr's commentary particularly provacative. I've never really thought to connect the mysteries of my parents' pasts to the imagination of my "now." I can definitely identify with some of the characters and their relationships to their neurotic, annoying and incomprehensible parents. Though I must say, the world of disfuntion is where I grew up. It always begs one to consider with so much "disfunction" in the world, isn't functional the real disfunction? I know I completely veared away from the topic, but I don't know that's where my thoughts are a leadin' me right now. This is pretty organic right now.

I just can't wait to talk about this book with you all! The characters are so richly and intensely portrayed! I just wonder how it's all going to end...

Michelle

message 3: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Zapata (booklover72) I think imagination is one of the few things we all keep from our childhood. When we are kids,not only adults,but everything that surround us trigger our imagination,from the fairytales told to us by our parents by our bedside to the noise in the dark of the night,everything is a trigger. Even emotions like love,sadness,pain,...just look at all the poets and all the beautiful metaphors they come up with. Look at all those wonderful writers that are capable of waking up our imagination and elevate our mind. Even music,...for me Mozart,Beethoven,Ennio Morricone's music work wonders each time I listen to it. Only thing is when imagination and inspiration are working together you can always expect wonders!

message 4: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (turttle) | 2 comments Benjamin described well on all the emotional nature as to how it conjure up with right moment. The classical genre would have it, all the greatness of emotion connects to spiritual realm. It is inseparable. therefore,throught out the history of menkind dedicated their extra ordinary talent to the source of inspiration, and usually it was towards God and or supernatural empowerment!
Suzanne

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin | 52 comments The concept of mystery and silence provoking imagination is at the core of the chasm, small or large, that exists between a parent and child. Naeem Murr made me contemplate what long held secrets we all harbor and how they might affect our relationships with others. What secrets did my mother harbor? Very few, she was very open and honest. What secrets did my father harbor? Many! Did I try and do I still try to fill in the blanks long after his passing? Yes! What secrets do my siblings and dear friends harbor? And why? And how does it inform our relationships? Imagination is a powerful thing! This lead me to a discussion with my son regarding his "filling in the blanks". My husband and I often reminisce about the past with our adult children, so we think that we are sharing much, but of course those things that go unsaid have to be filled with their imagination. Sometimes I find their musings are accurate, other times they only know part of a story and will only know that and many times their imaginings bring roars of laughter to our home.

What can I say about this as related to, "The Perfect Man"? The notion is profoundly powerful!! Who imagined that the quiet, unassuming Clyde Tivot had such a past? Who imagined that Haig's wife, Brenna carried such a secret? How did Frank's mother's secrets affect him? How did Ruth's secret journals affect the town? How do the secrets the cronies share touch the lives of so many? How much will Clay ever know about his father?

To quote near the end of the novel: "As he returned the journal, it struck him that one of his daughters-searching, perhaps, for her Christmas presents-would find it.In a hidden place she would read it, trembling, as if it held the secret, equally, of a past she would never know and a future she could hardly imagine. That seemed right to him."

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Lemaster (21treehugger) | 36 comments Robin wrote: "The concept of mystery and silence provoking imagination is at the core of the chasm, small or large, that exists between a parent and child. Naeem Murr made me contemplate what long held secrets w..."

Wow Robin! Beautifully (and powerfully)said.

message 7: by Sally (new)

Sally (Mostly_Literary) | 72 comments Mod
Robin wrote: "The concept of mystery and silence provoking imagination is at the core of the chasm, small or large, that exists between a parent and child. Naeem Murr made me contemplate what long held secrets w..."

Robin - in brief, for now (I'll follow up later), I just want to thank you for your comments. Like Michelle, I think you have said a lot here, very eloquently, that will be very interesting to reflect upon further in our discussion this coming Monday. For those of you who can't attend our meeting, I hope Robin's perceptive comments will inspire your additional reflections.

message 8: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Zapata (booklover72) "I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
— Albert Einstein
Secrets and mysteries are a few of the keys that open our doors to imagination. And I agree with Naeem Murr and Robin,it all start in our childhood! When I was kid I used to wonder about my parents childhood,how they were,the games they play,were they happy,their dreams,and I still wonder if some of those childhood dreams of their became real. It seems that our parents and the adults around us ,without they knowing, and with their secrets and mysterious ways are the first ones to wake up our imagination!