FSC Book Club discussion

Put 'em Up! Fruit: Creative Recipes for Making and Using Fresh Fruit Preserves, Chutneys, Infusions, and Pickles
This topic is about Put 'em Up! Fruit
Put 'Em Up! Fruit > {MEETING 5} Grapes, Grapefruit & Quince

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine, FSC BOOK CLUB MODERATOR (new) - added it

Christine | 107 comments Mod
I know, I know... we are LATE getting started with Meeting 5. Blame it on the beautiful late summer weather!

Who is still with us? Let's keep preserving the summer's bounty and those magical, beautiful August moments. Bottle 'em up and keep them with you all year long.

Ok, so Meeting 5 will be a QUICKIE. Let's condense it down to one week so we can stay on track with our schedule. One week of grapes, grapefruit and the wonderful quince. What will you make??

Your assignments:

First, pick at least one recipe to try using grapes, grapefruit or quince.

Second, show us what you made! Anyone using Instagram? Let's bombard our friends' feeds with photos of deliciously preserved fruits. A few candied grapefruit rinds, classic concord grape jam or a jar of elegant quince syrup... try one of them this week! (Cheater's tip: if you freeze a bag of grapes, that still counts! Show us your freezer of fruit :)

Tell us about where else you posted, if you like, and feel free to share a link to your blog.

Remember, you can upload photos to this group (on the right-side toolbar, click “Photos” and then upload... tag with the relevant fruit.) Post your photo on your Facebook page or right on From Scratch Club’s FB wall. Instagram and tweet us using the hashtag #FSCBookClub. Blog about it. Pin it and add the photo to our FSC Book Club board on Pinterest.

Quick note- we post regular FSC Book Club recaps on the blog. If you have a website or blog that we should be linking to when we highlight your photos/stories, please remember to include the link in your photo captions and comments!

Casey (kcrose210) | 74 comments I started some of the grapefruit liquor this weekend. It says it will take two weeks so I am anxiously waiting for it to be ready. Was super easy and looks great!

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy I think I will be sitting this one out - don't want to purchase a food mill for the grapes, grapefruits are cheaper later in the year, and my co-op doesn't have quince. Plus - now it's football season!

Have fun everyone!

message 4: by Aimee (new) - added it

Aimee | 4 comments I just pressed the grape pulp through a fine strainer since I don't have a food mill - it worked fine, FYI.

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Aimee wrote: "I just pressed the grape pulp through a fine strainer since I don't have a food mill - it worked fine, FYI."

Oh ok - thank you! I will definitely keep that in mind if I later have a chance to go grape jam!

message 6: by Aimee (new) - added it

Aimee | 4 comments Just posted - my first for #FSCBookClub! http://homemadetrade.blogspot.com/201...

message 7: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Vinton (sbvinton) | 10 comments Yes, Quince can be a challenge to find but ooo-la-la once you do! Such a treat and they put up so well.

message 8: by Christine, FSC BOOK CLUB MODERATOR (new) - added it

Christine | 107 comments Mod
Ooh, great post Aimee!

Casey (kcrose210) | 74 comments My grapefruit vodka is finally done, I am straining it tonight and I see a cocktail in my future!

message 10: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Casey wrote: "My grapefruit vodka is finally done, I am straining it tonight and I see a cocktail in my future!"

Let us know! I have a neighbor who loves grapefruit-vodka mixed drinks and I am thinking this would be a great holiday/dinner party gift!