Literature & Film discussion

3:10 to Yuma

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alison (last edited Feb 02, 2008 09:11AM) (new)

Alison "3:10 to Yuma is a 2007 Western film that is a remake of the 1957 film 3:10 to Yuma, making it the second adaptation of Elmore Leonard's short story."

I didn't realize this was an adaptation until the credits rolled, so Yay! I can talk about it here.

This was a great movie. I feel like I have been purged of the disapointment that has left me sinking in the 24 hours post "There Will Be Blood."

Great story, great dialogue, building tension with a great climax, GREAT acting (I didn't know Peter Fonda was in this either)...great back story to the two main characters. These two would provide much fodder for comparison/contrast. And unlike most westerns, they're not all good, or all bad. They both lie somewhere in between, despite being branded early on as "bad guy" or "good guy." Great addition to the Western genre...even supercedes some in terms of it's depth (to me). Would love to hear any thoughts on the original, or the story.

I also have to add that I knew Russel Crowe was a great actor, but I really enjoyed him in this role. I felt it was probably pretty true to who he is as a person...intelligent yet fierce, philosophical and sensitive, but angry and (perhaps) impulsive.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I loved this movie (Christian Bale can do no wrong) but I was disappointed with the ending. No spoilers but I'm sure if you've seen it you know what I meant!

message 3: by Bryan (last edited Feb 05, 2008 09:29AM) (new)

Bryan I thoroughly enjoyed the film and both Christian Bale and Russell Crowe are completely absorbing actors. I felt that the script had some weaknesses, primarily that both the lead characters made decisions that moved the plot forward but weren't natural. But the actors sold those actions so convincingly that I let it slide.

The short story 3:10 to Yuma is an enjoyable read. It is free from the touchy-feely daddy aspects of the film and as such is more in the vein of Howard Hawks tradition of men at work. The ending is considerably different from the film and much truer to the characters.

I must recommend the Western stories of Elmore Leonard. I am not a huge fan of his writing on the whole, his prose is plain and unexciting. Bu his Western stories have a gravity that is rare in his other work. He analyzes complex moral and ethical issues in a way that could be called revisionist while still maintaining a strict adherence to the traditions of the masculine West,

His youth and inexperience can be evident in many of his Western stories but in a few, like the touching romance of "The Tonto Woman" and the fierce anti-racist outrage of "Only Good Ones", are among the best Western stories ever written.

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth I thought Ben Foster was amazing. I have been a fan of his since "Six Feet Under" and loved him in the "X-Men" movies.

message 5: by Justin (new)

Justin (ralieghfingers) | 10 comments i like both actors, but thought this movie was actually terrible. i didnt beleive most of either characters actions, especially the end. i felt like it went so far to be an atypical western that it ultimately failed as a watchable movie. i havent seen the original, or read the leonard story, though id like to (read the story especially) there were the makings of an interesting plot.
also, i thought there will be blood was amazing, so its most likely just a difference of taste in movies.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Sammis (caligula03) I've only seen the original version. I enjoyed it. It was also fairly atypical for westerns as it was mostly a character study of the two main characters.