The Fantasy Project: 101 Books in 10 Years discussion

Participant Lists G - M > Melissa (Ladybug)

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (ladybug) (last edited Feb 14, 2021 09:53PM) (new)

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 39 comments Here is a start to my list of books to be read. Some of them are re-reads and some are new to me. :D I am going by the longer list of 800+ books to make my list.

001. The Arabian Nights
002. The Prydain Chronicles
     1. The Book of Three 6/27/16
     2. The Black Cauldron 8/30/17
     3. The Castle of Llyr
     4. Taran Wanderer
     5. The High King 3/22/17
003. A Wild Sheep Chase 8/16/20
004. Artemis Fowl 4/8/15
005. The Secret Country
006. A Spell for Chameleon 8/8/16
007. The Source of Magic
008. On A Pale Horse
009. For Love of Evil
010. With a Tangled Skein
011. Being a Green Mother
012. Wielding a Red Sword
013. Bearing An Hourglass
014. And Eternity
015. Under a Velvet Cloak
016. The Handmaid's Tale
017. Peter Pan 11/9/14
018. The Last Unicorn 6/7/14
019. The Mists of Avalon
020. The Sword of Shannara
021. The Warded Man
022. Brightness Reef
023. Jhereg
024. Phoenix
025. Taltos

026. The Fairy-Tale Detectives
027. Tales From the Hood
028. Magic and Other Misdemeanors
029. The Pilgrim's Progress
030. Tarzan of the Apes
031. John Carter of Mars
032. Storm Front 4/12/19
033. Fool Moon
034. Grave Peril
035. Enchantment
037. Obernewtyn
038. Graceling
039. Ghost Hunter
040. The Canterbury Tales
041. City of Bones
042. Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
043. Gregor the Overlander
044. The Book of Lost Things
045. Halfway to the Grave 4/10/17
046. The Dark is Rising 1/24/15
047. The Neverending Story
048. Magic in the Wind
049. The Twilight Before Christmas
050. Oceans of Fire 3/15/16

051. Magician
052. Silverthorn
053. Black Sun Rising
054. When True Night Falls
055. Outlander 4/2/15
056. Dragonfly in Amber
057. Poison Study 10/19/14
058. Stardust 11/29/20
059. Good Omens
060. American Gods 7/31/15
061. Anansi Boys 5/28/19
062. The Graveyard Book 9/17/14
063. Neverwhere
064. The Princess Bride
065. Wizard's First Rule 5/18/14
066. Assassin's Apprentice 2/21/20
067. Gardens of the Moon
068. The Golden Compass 4/11/14
069. The Proteus Operation
070. Redwall
071. Castle in the Air 4/22/15
072. The Eye of the World 5/6/16
073. The Great Hunt
074. The Dragon Reborn
075. Daggerspell

076. Darkspell
077. The Bristling Wood
078. The Gunslinger 7/16/14
079. The Hero and the Crown 10/6/14
080. The Blue Sword 10/13/20
081. Ella Enchanted 8/25/17
082. The Chronicles of Narnia 10/29/13
      1. The Magician's Nephew 4/30/13
      2. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe 5/3/13
      3. The Horse and His Boy 10/22/13
      4. Prince Caspian 10/23/13
      5. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader 10/25/13
      6. The Silver Chair 10/28/13
      7. The Last Battle 10/29/13
083. At the Back of the North Wind
084. Phantastes
085. Lilith
086. Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister
087. Daughter of the Forest
088. Son of the Shadows
089. Child of the Prophecy
090. Kafka on the Shore 5/11/14
091. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle 12/26/14
092. Sabriel
093. Sea of Shadow
094. Sea of Wind
095. The Vast Spread of the Seas
096. DragonSpell
097. DragonQuest
098. DragonKnight
099. Wolf Brother
100. A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

101. The Time Machine 4/11/14

message 2: by Juliana (new)

Juliana (jaldous) | 17 comments Smart!

message 3: by Liz (new)

Liz (busy91) I had to do some research myself. Half of the 800+ books I didn't read or never heard of.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Stockard Miller (michelleamiller) | 63 comments Mod
Melissa (ladybug) wrote: "Here is a start to my list of books to be read. Some of them are re-reads and some are new to me. :D I am going by the longer list of 800+ books to make my list.

001. The Book of Three
002. The Bl..."

Great list so far, Melissa. I like the way you linked the titles. We have some of the same titles on our lists.

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Melissa (ladybug) wrote: "Here is a start to my list of books to be read. Some of them are re-reads and some are new to me. :D I am going by the longer list of 800+ books to make my list.

001. The Book of Three
002. The Bl..."

Great list so far, Melissa. I like the way you linked the titles. We have some of the same titles on our lists.

message 6: by Terri (new)

Terri (ireadthebooks) | 23 comments Great list! I enjoyed The Mists of Avalon and it's a great read for anyone who likes Arthurian fiction. Also, the book is enormous and doubles as a paper weight/doorstop/weapon. ;)

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 39 comments Thanks Michelle and Terri :)

message 8: by Melissa (ladybug) (last edited Nov 18, 2013 09:51AM) (new)

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 39 comments Have read The Chronicles of Narnia. Was a reread for me and a series that I have always loved. So much imagination and plain old fashioned fun.

I have completed my list. :D

message 9: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra | 16 comments Great list, I hope you'll enjoy them all :)

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 39 comments Want to read Castle in the Air next, but probably will be unable to start on it till next year (2014). So busy with the holidays and books I have to finish for challenges. :(

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 39 comments Was given A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court so am going to start on this book.

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 39 comments Am reading Wizard's First Rule. I am not liking it, so therefor will not be reading the next two in the series. I will, however, finish this one.

message 13: by Cee (new)

Cee | 12 comments Aw, too bad you don't like it. I read most books in the series years ago, and they were my favourite then. What don't you like?

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 39 comments I really have a hard time with the casual and graphic violence to children and have heard that it is way worse in the second book. I have also heard that the second book gets into more graphic and weird sexual deviations. :D

message 15: by Cee (new)

Cee | 12 comments Hmm, that might be true. I didn't really mind the violence to children since I was a kid myself when reading it. But I completely understand your point (:

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 39 comments Have finished The Time Machine. Although I usually prefer the books to movies, I can say I was the opposite way with this book. I rated it a four for several reasons. a)It is a classic, b) The Time Machine introduced Science Fiction as we know it today and c)It was an interesting story that was sadly too short for my tastes. I kept wandering what happened in the end.

message 17: by Melissa (ladybug) (last edited May 12, 2014 08:51PM) (new)

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 39 comments Have finished Kafka on the Shore. All I can say is this author is weird. lol I liked it but I did have trouble with some aspects of it. (view spoiler) Other than this I really enjoyed the story.

message 18: by Melissa (ladybug) (last edited May 27, 2014 11:12AM) (new)

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 39 comments Have finished Wizard's First Rule. I will not be reading any more of this series. I didn't really enjoy it.

I am currently reading The Last Unicorn. It is really good. I can see the movie in the book, but the movie may have been a tad better to my thinking so far. lol

message 19: by Michelle (new)

Melissa (ladybug) wrote: "Have finished Wizard's First Rule. I will not be reading any more of this series. I didn't really enjoy it.

I am currently reading The Last Unicorn. It is really good. I ..."

You are doing great, Melissa! I read The Time Machine a couple of years ago and really liked it. It's actually one of my favorite classic films too.

I think The Last Unicorn is on my list too!

I think we will do another Wheel of Fortune spin to read in July and August and I'm thinking of a read-a-long in the Fall. Have to go through everyone's list and see what we all have in common. I'm sure there is something. ;)

message 20: by Melissa (ladybug) (last edited May 30, 2014 09:09AM) (new)

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 39 comments :) Michelle. Thank you! and I am really looking forward to it.

I own just a couple more books from my lists. I will need to see about getting more of them. :)

Bk 2: The Black Cauldron (The Chronicles of Prydain)
Bk 5: The High King (The Chronicles of Prydain)
The Mists of Avalon
The Canterbury Tales
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Ella Enchanted
Daughter of the Forest
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 39 comments Have finished The Last Unicorn. It was really good, but this is one of the times when I think maybe the movie was better. :)

message 22: by Melissa (ladybug) (last edited Jul 18, 2014 09:19AM) (new)

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 39 comments Have finished The Gunslinger. It was ok. The book kept me reading, but I didn't really like Roland's attitude and cavalier disregard for Jake's safety. His morals are pretty loose and I didn't want to cheer for him, even though he was suppose to be the good guy or close to being the better choice.

message 23: by Michelle (new)

Melissa (ladybug) wrote: "Have finished The Gunslinger. It was ok. The book kept me reading, but I didn't really like Roland's attitude and cavalier disregard for Jake's safety. His morals are pretty loose and ..."

He is a difficult character. I think he becomes more sympathetic as the series progresses. I'm on Book Three.

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 39 comments Am reading The Eye of the World. I am liking it so far. :)

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 39 comments Have finished: The Graveyard Book on 9/17/14. I rated it 3 stars because it took me time to really get into the story. It was a good book though. :) I have also finished: The Hero and the Crown. I have rated it 5 stars and just loved it. I am looking forward to reading the next book. I have a particular liking for fantasy and high fantasy and this book hit all my buttons. :)

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 39 comments Am still reading The Eye of the World and recently bought the book On a Pale Horse. I like this author's Xanth series, but have never read this series. I also am currently reading Peter Pan.

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 39 comments Have finished Peter Pan and Wendy. It was a good story, but some words were defined in the version I read. This was somewhat distracting. It was way more "violent" than the Disney version and for this reason, don't believe little children should read it without parent discretion. :)

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 39 comments Have read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. It was a good book. I have enjoyed all the books I have read by this Author so far. :)

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 39 comments I have finished The Dark is Rising. :) It was a good book and I really liked it, but I was confused about what was going on several times and places. 3 1/2 out of 5 stars. :)

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 39 comments I have finished Outlander. For the first time, I was able to finish a book by listening to it being read. :) I knocked it down by 1 star from 5 to 4 because of the language being a "bit" unnecessary. :)

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 39 comments Have finished Artemis Fowl. Except wanting to tan this young boys hide, I found it surprisingly good. :) Easily a series I want to continue.

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 39 comments I have read Castle in the Air. I forgot to post about it though. :) I loved the movie based on the first book. I also loved the movie based on Castle in the Air. This book had nothing to do with the movie that I could see. I still really liked the book though and they brought some of my favorite characters into it. It contains a bit of Aladdin with a genie in the mixture, but a wonderful book to read.

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 39 comments Have finished American Gods. Was good, but parts were also boring.

message 34: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (thebookishginger) | 29 comments You're doing really well!

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 39 comments Have finished:

Oceans of Fire. I was unable to get into this book. :( I usually love Christine Feehan's books.

The Eye of the World. Was a good book. I love High Fantasy and the book kept my attention. I am not really interested in the rest of the series though. :(

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 39 comments Have read A Spell for Chameleon. It was a favorite from my childhood, but I never realized how chauvinistic it was towards women before. :( 3 of 5 stars because it was a favorite.

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 39 comments Didn't mention it but I read The Book of Three. Listened to it on audio book and found it very interesting. A good start. 4 out of 5 stars

message 38: by Michelle (new)

You are doing SO well with this challenge. Congrats! I need to step it up. Glad you're enjoying the majority of your reads. :)

message 39: by Melissa (ladybug) (last edited Feb 05, 2019 11:42AM) (new)

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 39 comments In 2017 I read three books from this challenge. My brother was killed in an auto accident at the end of 2017 and it has taken till now to be in a "reading mood". The Black Cauldron was one of my brother's and my favorite movies growing up and I enjoyed reading these two books in the series. It may take me a while to get to the final two books though.

I really enjoyed Halfway to the Grave. The story opened in the perfect way and I loved every bit of the action .

Bk 2: The Black Cauldron (The Chronicles of Prydain)
Bk 5: The High King (The Chronicles of Prydain)
Halfway to the Grave

message 40: by Michelle (new)

Melissa (ladybug) wrote: "In 2017 I read three books from this challenge. My brother was killed in an auto accident at the end of 2017 and it has taken till now to be in a "reading mood". The Black Cauldron was one of my br..."

Melissa, I'm so sorry to hear of your brother's passing. I can't imagine the difficult time you have faced. It's good to hear that you're back at reading again, and honoring your brother by reading a favorite story of yours and his. I read that entire series sometime in my preteen/early teen years and absolutely loved it. I keep meaning to get back to them for a reread.

I'm glad people are still participating. I just revamped my list again, and I changed the rules somewhat where other fantasy books can be read in more abundance, besides what's on the original 101 list (since it has been so many years since this list was compiled). I'll make a note of the change in the challenge guidelines here in the group (I've already done so over at Gather Together and Read, the challenge headquarters https://www.gathertogetherread.com/p/...) and I need to share my updated list with the group here.

message 41: by Melissa (ladybug) (last edited Mar 28, 2019 09:15AM) (new)

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 39 comments Michelle, sorry I didn't reply earlier. Thank you so much for the thoughts. I miss my brother. We were really close. Yes, I am still participating, but it is taking me a while to read books. :)

I plan to try and read the following books this year:

At the Back of the North Wind
A Wild Sheep Chase
Storm Front
Graceling
The Canterbury Tales
Sabriel

I may read more but for sure I plan for these books.

message 42: by Michelle (new)

Melissa (ladybug) wrote: "Michelle, sorry I didn't reply earlier. Thank you so much for the thoughts. I miss my brother. We were really close. Yes, I am still participating, but it is taking me a while to read books. :)

I ..."

Great list! I really enjoyed Graceling.

message 43: by Melissa (ladybug) (last edited Apr 22, 2019 01:37PM) (new)

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 39 comments Read Storm Front on 4/12/2019. I really enjoyed it and rated it 4 stars. :)

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 39 comments Read Anansi Boys. Liked it and rated it 4 stars. :)

message 45: by Melissa (ladybug) (last edited Jun 08, 2020 03:22PM) (new)

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 39 comments I was able to read my first book for this challenge for the year 2020. I read Assassin's Apprentice. It was a really great book and I was glad to be able to get back into a larger book this year. I rated it 4 stars and am looking forward to reading the next in the series.