Gigi's Company discussion

Book Related Topics > Who's your favorite author?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gina (new)

Gina (ginrobi) | 3325 comments Mod
I thought I'd start a new thread.

Please tell us:

Who is your favorite author and why?

message 2: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (colleenct1) | 1537 comments My favorite author is Stephen King. His books remind me of why I started reading in the first place.
To escape, when I was younger authors like Judy Blume would take me away to another place and time. Stephen King was the first adult author that made me feel that way. You know where you can block out the whole world and just pretend you are the main character.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) | 134 comments Have to say Janet Evanovich tops the list.Love her quirky Characters (Plum, Alex Barnaby, Lula and Grandma M)Stories are a riot.

Have a few other faves in other genres
too many to mention here

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Absolute fav would be Joanne Harris. I love her books. She makes her stories come alive for me.
P.S. I loved Stephen King and Janet Evanovich too.

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) | 134 comments Janet E tops the list but I really like Sue Grafton, james Patterson, jonathan Kellerman

message 6: by ♥Tricia♥ (last edited Aug 02, 2009 07:39AM) (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 60 comments At first thought I wanted to say Jeaniene Frost, simply because of her Night Huntress series and how so very well she writes each book. As each one is different and exciting and action packed and has JUST the right amount of hotness/romance in it to compliment the plot. Her writing is just phenomenal.

However, Kenyon has been such an awesome storyteller and her story line is so HUGE with so many books that I have been sucked into this HUGE world and the books just keep getting better because of it so I want to choose her.

So, sorry but this is a tie for first for them both! :P Besides if you look at it, one is PR and one is UF so there!
/sticks tongue out! :P

message 7: by Sam8 (new)

Sam8 | 1857 comments Sherrily Kenyon and Diana Gabaldon pretty much tie it for first for me.
They both pretty much are gods in their writing. They both have these immense worlds that once I get into them, I'm totally sucked into them and live them. . . even when I'm not actually reading them.

I love a lot of authors, and right now I'm on book 8 of the JD Robb series and I'm pretty immerse. I'm listening to them on audio and not getting much book reading done, but I'm TOTALLY sucked in.

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) | 134 comments Janet Evanovich for 1--damned entertaining and I am liking Karin slaugters work lately too.

message 9: by Julia (new)

Julia | 11667 comments Charles de Lint comes immediately to mind. His urban fiction is set you know, off that way, where if I could find the exit on the highway, I'd see girls who are also crows, Coyote who is at once the Trickster god and a homeless guy, and Jilly, a visual artist, who brings them all together.

message 10: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (Savhage Temptrest) (savhagetemptress) | 130 comments For me, it has to be Charlaine Harris hands down! I love everything that she writes from Aurora Teagarden to Sookie Stackhouse to the Britlingens.

I think she is the best author because she writes from one extreme to the next and she does her homework so the character(s) come off more real and believeable. Dark, emotionally scarred heroines to funny, down to earth heroines, Charlaine Harris portrays a different person in every story and series she writes and non of them mimic or duplicate each other which isn't that easy, I wouldn't think at least. Also, her imagination is just fantastic, and her books just draw a reader in, and keep them there. The concepts and plots of her stories are so different and complex, and I love how there are mysteries or unanswered questions in each story that keep me guessing until the very end.

message 11: by Brandie (last edited Nov 24, 2009 05:28AM) (new)

Brandie (brandiemichelle) My two favorite authors are Nicholas Sparks and Stephenie Meyer.

I own and have read every Sparks book. Just always love his feel good love stories. They've gotten a little cheesy over the years, but I still look forward to his new book that comes out every September.

And everyone that knows me, knows my obsession with Twilight. Meyer is an awesome story teller...I love her writing style. I've read all of her books, including The Host, and have loved them all. I'm anxiously awaiting her sequel to that one. And rereading all of the Twilight books (hoping she'll write another one for that series, too!).

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Curtis I am a Book snob where I am super partial to Classic authors and have a hard time with newer ones that are not as good. My favorite Authors of all time are Elizabeth Gaskell and Wilkie Collins. TS Elliot is another favorite of mine. for more modern books and kind of a guilty pleasure is Jennifer Cruise.

message 13: by Sam8 (new)

Sam8 | 1857 comments Rebecca: Jennifer Cruise is awesome!!!