English Mysteries Club discussion

Elizabeth Peters
This topic is about Elizabeth Peters
Archived Buddy Reads > Buddy Read of Amelia Peabody

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Leslie (last edited Aug 26, 2013 06:43AM) (new)

Leslie | 1663 comments Who wants to do a buddy read of Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody books?

message 2: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) A good way to commemorate the author. Everybody knows, right, that she passed away earlier this month.

message 3: by Jane (new)

Jane (janesteen) | 91 comments Oh, I wish I could. I have WAY too many reading commitments and very little time at the moment...

message 4: by Poornima (new)

Poornima | 46 comments Leslie, I haven't read her yet. Looked up some of her books. they look interesting, will try to join in.

Do you recommend we will need to read the books in order or any of them can be picked up?

message 5: by Portia (new)

Portia Amelia Peabody's story evolves over the course of the books. I began with the third and had missed what, for me, was a lot, so I went back and read the first two.

IMHO, start at the first.

message 6: by Poornima (new)

Poornima | 46 comments Thanks Portia. I will try to check if I can lay my hands on her books easily.

message 7: by Jane (new)

Jane (janesteen) | 91 comments Definitely start with the first one, The Crocodile on the Sandbank.

message 8: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum Dagnabit! (maybe one too many Westerns with the kids lately) I thought I had a copy, but can't find it. I'll track one down, though!

message 9: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 142 comments I believe libraries will have most of her titles. That is where I got the CD I am listening to.

message 10: by Cphe (new)

Cphe | 3 comments I only finished The Crocodile On The Sandbank last week.

Very sad to hear of the author's passing, I also really enjoyed the Barbara Michaels books.

message 11: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 1663 comments Portia mentioned in another thread that what with Sept. only a week away & school starting for many, perhaps we should start this readalong October 1 with the first book, Crocodile on the Sandbank.

Any objections?

message 12: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 142 comments Leslie wrote: "Portia mentioned in another thread that what with Sept. only a week away & school starting for many, perhaps we should start this readalong October 1 with the first book, Crocodile on the Sandbank...."
That is fine for me.

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan | 606 comments Sounds great, Leslie. Thank you for getting us organized. What would we do without you?

message 14: by Jane (new)

Jane (janesteen) | 91 comments Could you send out an email blast as a reminder at the end of September? I'll try to join in if I can.

message 15: by Portia (new)

Portia Lady Efficacious saves the day once again!

message 16: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 1663 comments Jane wrote: "Could you send out an email blast as a reminder at the end of September? I'll try to join in if I can."

Sorry, only moderators can send group emails... maybe Jean-Luke could do it.

message 17: by HJ (new)

HJ | 223 comments I'd like to join in. I've tried reading the first Amelia P book before, but I'd like to try again given the number of people who recommend them.

message 18: by Christy (new)

Christy Brannen (murdermostbritish) | 11 comments I just finished the last of her books earlier today...I envy those of you about to start on the journey with Amelia! You are in for some good times!

I read all but this last one in 2007...this one was pulled from her memoirs, so it wasn't the last chronologically...was published in 2010. Good stuff!

message 19: by Penny (new)

Penny | 347 comments I'm in too - perhaps my life will just have to be on hold forever while I read!! I read the first one a couple of weeks ago so will wait to see what you all think of it.

message 20: by Portia (new)

Portia Hi. Been off doing other things so I wanted to check if we are still on for EP's Croc on 10/01? (iPhone)

message 21: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 1663 comments Just a reminder that October was the month chosen to start reading this series. The first book is Crocodile on the Sandbank.

The entire series can be seen HERE.

My reading plans for October are out of control but I will try to find time to reread this as I especially love the first book in the series.

message 22: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 142 comments I just loved listening to Barbara Rosenblat read Crocodile on the Sandbank. It was so much fun. Amelia is so opinionated and absolutely sure of herself. She is a wonderful character as is Emerson. Both larger than life in the most entertaining way. I am now listening to Curse of the Pharaohs. Makes the ride to work less boring.

message 23: by Susan (new)

Susan | 606 comments I picked up the book for 81 cents so I am ready to go.

message 24: by Poornima (new)

Poornima | 46 comments Just got the book from my library.. starting it today!

message 25: by Susan (new)

Susan Mock I loved her and am sorry to hear that she died. I probably read 7 or 8 of her books and they should be read in order. Learning about Egyptology was facinating. I feel like I lost a friend.

message 26: by Susan (new)

Susan | 606 comments I just started the book today. I was tickled that the cover had a blurb from Phyllis Whitney. I remember the days when I read Phyllis Whitney and Mary Stewart. I was in my early 20's and just found them so charming.

message 27: by Susan (new)

Susan | 606 comments I have never read Dorothy Eden but I just loved Whitney and Stewart. I spent many a hour enthralled in their books. It makes me smile just thinking about it.

message 28: by Portia (new)

Portia Me, too.

I think Elizabeth Peters' writing is a tad edgier than either Whitney's or Stewart's but I chalk that up to her humor. Amelia always reminded me of "Miss Manners" in both tone and appearance. Is everyone familiar with Judith Martin, who writes the "Miss Manners" column?

message 29: by Susan (new)

Susan | 606 comments Absolutely, Portia. When I read that I just went aha. That's exactly who Amelia reminds me of. I am enjoying the book so far including her budding romance with Emerson.

message 30: by Poornima (new)

Poornima | 46 comments I finished the "Crocodile on Sandbank" couple of weeks ago. I really enjoyed the fun, adventure and Egypt on top of everything else :)

Would like to join to read the next book too!

message 31: by Kay (new)

Kay | 218 comments I also read and loved books by Whitney and Stewart when in my twenties. I had almost forgotten about them.

message 32: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 142 comments I love Mary Stewart. Been rereading them for forty years. I have most of them in hardback that I have found used.

message 33: by Kay (new)

Kay | 218 comments I have ordered Crocodile on the Sandbank from the library. Picked up Serpent on the Crown yesterday and am loving it.

message 34: by John (new)

John Frankham (johnfrankham) | 209 comments Do try the audiobook versions of Peabody - beautifully read by Barbara Rosenblat. Avoid another reader like the plague, 'though!

message 35: by Leslie (last edited Oct 25, 2013 06:18PM) (new)

Leslie | 1663 comments John wrote: "Do try the audiobook versions of Peabody - beautifully read by Barbara Rosenblat. Avoid another reader like the plague, 'though!"

Oh, that is helpful! I hadn't thought about listening to these... off to check my library's holdings!

@Ellen - I am a Mary Stewart fan too! I find Stewart's books stand up to rereading better than Whitney's do, or maybe it is just me...

message 36: by Susan (new)

Susan | 606 comments I agree. Mary Stewart's books do seem to hold up better.

message 37: by Portia (new)

Portia Seems the night owls are posting, Susan. Karlyne jus posted on the Today in Literature thread. And I am hear reading all of you. :)

message 38: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 142 comments Do we think that Amelia Peabody will still be in print fifty years from now like Mary Stewart's books that were first issued in the 1960's?

message 39: by Portia (new)

Portia I think that depends on how many younger people are reading her. I'm getting the impression that many of us who are posting are in the 50-plus crowd. This is the moment when all of you under-forty Elizabeth Peters readers tell me I've got it wrong! Fingers crossed ;-)

message 40: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 142 comments Portia wrote: "I think that depends on how many younger people are reading her. I'm getting the impression that many of us who are posting are in the 50-plus crowd. This is the moment when all of you under-fort..."

For me it has always been Mystery/History but for my twenty something daughter it is Fantasy.

message 41: by Penny (new)

Penny | 347 comments can I ask which book you are currently on? I have missed a few weeks checking back on here - I have the second one to start but wondered if you had already done it?

message 42: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 1663 comments @Penny, I think that it should be the second book, The Curse of the Pharaohs.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Ellen wrote: "Portia wrote: "I think that depends on how many younger people are reading her. I'm getting the impression that many of us who are posting are in the 50-plus crowd. This is the moment when all of..."

My daughter loves fantasy too. She has always loved to read but she doesn't go for mystery books. She did some vampire books in high school..sigh..I'm just glad she reads!

message 44: by Portia (new)

Portia Have hope, Jamielynn! It is just a matter of time until some bright writer creates a series starring Buffy The Cozy Mystery Star. Then your daughter will be out in front!

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Portia wrote: "Have hope, Jamielynn! It is just a matter of time until some bright writer creates a series starring Buffy The Cozy Mystery Star. Then your daughter will be out in front!"

LOL Portia! I actually think that would sell big!

message 46: by Penny (new)

Penny | 347 comments thanks Leslie

message 47: by Penny (new)

Penny | 347 comments I finished The Curse of the Pharaoh's and loved it. The caustic wit of Amelia kept me going all the way through. Am not so sure the culprit was believable but loved the way the setting and the characters were described. Anyone out there reading any more?

message 48: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 142 comments Penny wrote: "I finished The Curse of the Pharaoh's and loved it. The caustic wit of Amelia kept me going all the way through. Am not so sure the culprit was believable but loved the way the setting and the cha..."

I will be starting the third book soon. The Mummy Case.

message 49: by Kristin (new)

Kristin About 3/4 finished with "The Curse of the Pharaohs" right now and can't wait to start #3.

message 50: by Penny (new)

Penny | 347 comments Ellen wrote: "Penny wrote: "I finished The Curse of the Pharaoh's and loved it. The caustic wit of Amelia kept me going all the way through. Am not so sure the culprit was believable but loved the way the setti..."

OK Ellen - I will check the library for the Mummy Case

« previous 1