Chaos Reading discussion

Super random happy fun time > Songs to Sing to Cats

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (last edited Aug 26, 2013 01:12AM) (new)

Ruby  Tombstone Lives! (rubytombstone) | 3260 comments Mod
We've already got a shelf up for "Books To Be Read To Cats", but I thought I'd share some cat songs for the hell of it. I was working on a version of the Doors' Queen of the Highway for Swanky today (Queen of the Lino), however she was largely unimpressed.

This is one I used to sign to Pingu, to the tune of
"Close To You" by The Carpenters:
Why do birds
Suddenly disappear
Every time
You are near?
Just like me
They don't want to be
Pingu poo..

I can't be the only person who sings to their cat (even my vet recently admitted to doing this), so what other songs are people singing?...

message 2: by Cora (new)

Cora (missteacher333) | 42 comments I sing "I love my dog" by Cat Stevens & of course, change the words around. I also sing the Spider Man theme to her "Here comes the Puppy-caaaaat"! I love her even if she bullies me. :-D

message 3: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

Cora wrote: "I sing "I love my dog" by Cat Stevens & of course, change the words around. I also sing the Spider Man theme to her "Here comes the Puppy-caaaaat"! I love her even if she bullies me. :-D"

Bahaha! No way! I used to do the Spiderman theme with Pingu too. Some tunes are just meant to be sung to cats..

message 4: by Cora (new)

Cora (missteacher333) | 42 comments Yup yup.

message 5: by Cora (new)

Cora (missteacher333) | 42 comments Seriously?? No one else is brave enough to comment on this thread?? Well Ruby, might just be me and you :-D

message 6: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 1321 comments Mod
I'm with you! I'll pretty much alter the lyrics of any song in my head or on the stereo to suit the cat or dog being serenaded. There are a few in heavier rotation. (And, yes 'Spidercat' has been among them :-) Other popular ones include Iko Iko and a few Boy George songs. The later date from my days in an animal shelter clinic, when the kittens would frequently sing "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me" before going in to surgery. One day there was a bit of a rap battle between a Madonna Kitten and a Nick Cave kitten. They sorted it out later in the kitten pile, I'm happy to report.

message 7: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

Whitney wrote: "I'm with you! I'll pretty much alter the lyrics of any song in my head or on the stereo to suit the cat or dog being serenaded. There are a few in heavier rotation. (And, yes 'Spidercat' has been a..."

Yes! I've been known to go the Iko Iko serenade too. In fact, if that's not stuck in my head for the next week, I'll be very surprised.

message 8: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

BTW, Swanky's favourite is the Bom Bom (Sam & The Womp) song they're using for K-Mart tv ads at the moment. The first line ALWAYS gets her attention, "Swank's the cat with the bass and drum, going around like bom, bom, bom..." She perks up every time it comes on tv.

message 9: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 1321 comments Mod
Ruby wrote: "BTW, Swanky's favourite is the Bom Bom (Sam & The Womp) song they're using for K-Mart tv ads at the moment. The first line ALWAYS gets her attention, "Swank's the cat with the bass and drum, going ..."

Just pulled this up on YouTube, excellent cat song! Dog is looking at me and saying 'stop making the cat dance and take me on my damn walk already".

message 10: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

Whitney wrote: "Just pulled this up on YouTube, excellent cat song! Dog is looking at me and saying 'stop making the cat dance and take me on my damn walk already". ..."

Yup. It's the kind of song that just makes you wanna grab a cat & make it dance!

Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsy7kJ...

message 11: by Cora (new)

Cora (missteacher333) | 42 comments Oh I gotta check out that video!

message 12: by Iris (new)

Iris | 2 comments Hi there,
I once re-wrote an entire christmas song for my cat (unfortunately I can't remember anymore whether it was "Jingle bells" or "Deck the halls"...AND I lost the lyrics...). Anyway, I sang it to her, and she just lifted one eyelid open, yawned extensively, and just went back to doing her usual Zen-Buddhism number/started planning to write her memoirs/made mental note to have me whacked by a hitman.(Well, okay, the last one IS exaggerated, but hey, we ARE talking about cats here, right?) I think generally dogs are more appreciative of their care-givers singing to them, but then again, dogs are a bit dim, usually...

message 13: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

Iris wrote: " then again, dogs are a bit dim, usually... ..."

Agreed. Pingu was big on X-mas (she had quite a close relationship with Santa I believe). Her favourite cat-carol was Pinglebell Rock. Actually that might just have been my favourite..