Literary Horror discussion

Thomas Tessier
This topic is about Thomas Tessier
Authors > Thomas Tessier

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott Yes! Centipede is reprinting Fog Heart!

I'm reading The Fates right now. I think it was his first novel. So far it's reading like a standard horror but it's not bad.

message 3: by Randolph, Randy (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 163 comments Scott wrote: "Yes! Centipede is reprinting Fog Heart!

I'm reading The Fates right now. I think it was his first novel. So far it's reading like a standard horror but it's not bad."

It gets a little weirder.

message 4: by Randolph, Randy (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 163 comments Scott wrote: "Yes! Centipede is reprinting Fog Heart!

I'm reading The Fates right now. I think it was his first novel. So far it's reading like a standard horror but it's not bad."

Fog Heart is his best novel, IMHO. Very weird and so enigmatic.

message 5: by Teddy (new)

Teddy G (teddy-g) | 51 comments Just finished Phantom and it was amazing!
So many things I like combined into one book - A realistic description of children's fears, a small town with secrets, strange ruins, old people, old woods, a Ramsey Campbell horror build-up with a Hope Hodgson payoff.
Going to read Finishing Touches next.

message 6: by Scott (new)

Scott I finished The Fates and it's probably my least favorite. It's not bad, but it's not anything special.

If I were to rank the ones I've read in order, it would probably be:

The Nightwalker
Finishing Touches
Rapture
Phantom
Secret Strangers
Wicked Things
The Fates

message 7: by Randolph, Randy (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 163 comments Teddy wrote: "Just finished Phantom and it was amazing!
So many things I like combined into one book - A realistic description of children's fears, a small town with secrets, strange ruins, old people, old woods..."

Finishing Touches is my second behind Fog Heart. Make sure you get an edition that has the Father Panic novella in it. That is most excellent and chilling as well.

message 8: by Scott (new)

Scott "Father Panic..." is pretty extreme!

message 9: by Teddy (new)

Teddy G (teddy-g) | 51 comments I did not like Finishing Touches. Hated it even. An evil, disgusting book.

message 10: by Scott (new)

Scott I liked it but I thought the first act was far better than the second.

message 11: by Randolph, Randy (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 163 comments Teddy wrote: "I did not like Finishing Touches. Hated it even. An evil, disgusting book."

My second favorite Tessier novel after Fog Heart. It is meant to be shocking. It is all about the slippery slope, once you take that little step towards the darkness it becomes harder and harder to step back until you are on the slippery slope and cannot stop the slide to any sort of depravity. I didn't care for the end particularly.

If you didn't like this you are probably not a Tessier man since most of his stuff is similarly on the very dark side of human behavior and very graphic including pedophilia. He is always on the edge.

message 12: by Teddy (new)

Teddy G (teddy-g) | 51 comments I loved Phantom, it was very fine and subtle, and realistically captured the mind of the protagonist, but Finishing Touches was the exact opposite. I don't mind the slippery slope, and I'm always fond of darkness, but this one didn't pull me in, well it did, but only in the sense that I regretted going into it in the first place but carrying on out of hope for, I'm not sure what.
I can relate to a person being drawn into a mystery, going head on into an abyss out of sheer curiosity or unexplained compulsion but I couldn't relate to Thomas (the "character"), that supposedly became a monster only to be a part of this woman's fantasy, this woman who he describes as being very beautiful, wild and seductive and not much else.
I hate rape scenes, snuff or pedophilia, I think it's a cheap shock, effective but cheap, which is also the reason this didn't work as a horror novel for me, all the horror bits were just there, vile and disturbing as the piles of limbs described on the pages.
I thought that maybe it was influenced by Arthur Schnitzler's Dream Story, but Dream Story was a lot more subtle, which made it more interesting. I also thought that maybe it influenced Glamorama, but Glamorama had humor and other distractions, which in a way also made it more subtle.
So I shouldn't read anymore Tessir then?

message 13: by Randolph, Randy (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 163 comments Teddy wrote: "I loved Phantom, it was very fine and subtle, and realistically captured the mind of the protagonist, but Finishing Touches was the exact opposite. I don't mind the slippery slope, and I'm always f..."

I wouldn't say he is off the menu but I would look at a few reviews before you picked up another specific novel. I would say Fog Heart, Wicked Things, and Rapture shouldn't be a problem for you. I really don't like Wicked Things very much but others seem to like it just fine. If you dig into one of his short story collections you will definitely run into the odd Finishing Touches-like story.

Did your edition have the novella "Father Panic" in it? It is another slippery slope story and in ways as disturbing and graphic as Finishing Touches.

Tessier's oeuvre is so varied, particularly his novels, that he is hard to categorize. The five I've mentioned here are as varied as possible. One thing is Tessier almost never has a character you actually like and his view of humankind is almost uniformly dim.

message 14: by Teddy (new)

Teddy G (teddy-g) | 51 comments Thank you for the recommendations, I'll try to find these books though they are a bit difficult to find.

I did like the kid from Phantom, and the two old men were likable.

My edition does have Father Panic but I'm in no hurry to read it. Scott also described it as 'extreme' and I think I could do without it for the time being (I would say that Finishing Touches made a lasting impression on me). Something a little less dim.

message 15: by Scott (new)

Scott If you didn't like Finishing Touches for the things you mentioned above, you'll hate "Father Panic's Opera Macabre." I actually thought that was what you were talking about, before.

message 16: by Randolph, Randy (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 163 comments It looks like Tessier has abandoned his website and he is exclusively on twitter now, which is a shame. The website is still up but he says it will not be updated.

https://twitter.com/ThomasTessierCT