History, Politics, and Beer! (Liquor is fine to!) discussion

Hellraiser—Mother Jones: An Historical Novel
This topic is about Hellraiser—Mother Jones
Discussion: Hellraiser — Mother Jones: An Historical Novel

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by F.T. (new) - added it

F.T. Moore (ft_moore) | 4 comments This sounds like a timely book. I'll look for it to be released.

Jerry Ash | 9 comments F.T. wrote: "This sounds like a timely book. I'll look for it to be released."

Thanks F.T. It IS a timely book and I believe it could be a powerful book if it follows in the tradition of Mother Jones and inspires people to take action against the economic inequalities and servitude faced by the growing underclass found in America today.

message 3: by F.T. (new) - added it

F.T. Moore (ft_moore) | 4 comments Jerry, I think many people believe they are powerless against what is happening economically in America. Reading about the history of labor unions could indeed give people an understanding that "the hand that picks up the hammer to pound the nail" is where real power lies.

Jerry Ash | 9 comments It is obvious that people feel powerless today and the government has made them even more powerless by the passage of laws that prevent non-violent protest or civil disobedience.

If Mother Jones spent a lot of time in jail in the early 1900s, one has to imagine she would be permanently housed in jail today and they'd throw away the key.

Unfortunately, even public opinion seems to be powerless. Not only the unions but the voting public has dwindled in size to the point where neither is significant in the political process.

message 5: by Jennifer (last edited Aug 26, 2013 07:39AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jennifer (womanthunder) | 3 comments I will be getting this. Mother Jones is my personal 'idol', 'hero', 'mentor', whatever you want to call it. My favorite story of her is during one of the labor strikes that she first led. She was up on her soapbox cheering on the laborers, getting them ready to strike and march. Police and corporate thugs were waiting for them at the top of the hill but that didn't matter to her. She yelled at everyone to charge and took of running up the hill at full-speed. Had she looked back at that point, she would have noticed that there wasn't anybody following behind her. The first two officers she encountered at the top of the hill let her pass after she yelled at them to get the hell out of the way. One policeman made the following statement to the press, "Yes, we let her through. That woman had the devil in her eyes and we weren't about to stand in her way." After Mother Jones crossed the first 'checkpoint' was when the other laborers went charging up the hill after her.

I LOVE that story. Amazing courage. And I've always loved that statement that the police gave to the press about Mother Jones. So yes, I am getting this book!! :-)

Jerry Ash | 9 comments Wow! That's a great story. Never heard it. Wish I had before I completed "Hellraiser".

Btw, I'm setting up a Forum on the Mother Jones Hellraiser Page on Facebook. I'll be posting the first message this morning. Please join the club and contribute that story right away. It will be a great boost to start.

https://www.facebook.com/HellraiserClub

Also, you might want to visit the website:
http//www.jerryash.com

I'm also going to ask you to become my Goodreads friend.

This makes me so happy!

Jennifer (womanthunder) | 3 comments F.T. wrote: "Jerry, I think many people believe they are powerless against what is happening economically in America. Reading about the history of labor unions could indeed give people an understanding that "th..."

That is one of the largest, most frustrating issues today. People do not remember history. That there is strength in numbers. That 'the people' FAR outnumber the corporate cats and elite politicians. We have the advantage; how we do (or don't) spend our money, how dependent we become upon the system, whether or not to show up at work,etc.

Yes, the issues run deep. The American people were apathetic for far too long and now what were once small issues have had time to grow deep roots and corruption has worked its way into every facet of society and Government, giving the 'illusion' that we are all the more powerless as a result.

What would happen if nobody showed up at work; for days, for weeks. Like it or not, those on top NEED us to keep the machine moving. It's a choice. And people are either going to need to learn to recognize that we still hold the winning card or we lose this once great country to a handful of greedy individuals. People need a fire lit under their butts. I was, and still am, hoping that these latest revelations about the NSA would be the straw that broke the camel's back but now I'm not so sure.

People are willing to live with increasing poverty, loss of health care and affordable medical treatment, tuition so high and wages so low that people's kids will never get out from under the debt along with a loss of their privacy rights, their freedom of expression and so on. And still people stare blankly forward, too defeated to care. It is maddening.

message 8: by Jerry (last edited Aug 26, 2013 07:58AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jerry Ash | 9 comments Excellent points, Jennifer. As you know, Hellraiser — Mother Jones: An Historical Novel has become more than a book in my own mind and I hope, soon, in the minds of its readers and the public. It's time for the spirit of MoJo to rise again! And isn't it interesting that this abbreviation of her name is the same as the mojo it will take for all of us to band together "with our dishpans and serving spoons" to raise hell once again.

As you know, I'm opening a new Mother Jones Hellraiser Club Forum this morning on Facebook. Perhaps it will become the rallying point.

https://www.facebook.com/HellraiserCl...

Jerry Ash | 9 comments Memo to: Mother Jones

HAPPY REBIRTH-WEEK!
Hellraiser — Mother Jones: An Historical Novel

Mother, I am happy to report that people were busy buying your new book on launch day, Sunday, and it continues through Launch WEEK, September 22-29.

We received some great new reviews on Goodreads and in newspapers around the country. I’m especially pleased with the one in the Charleston (W.Va.) Sunday Daily Mail and another new one on Amazon.com by “Calamity Jane”. I have become acquainted with “Calamity”, which is her pen name, and what’s significant is that she’s been a long time fan of yours. So she knew what she was writing about when she did her review.

http://www.amazon.com/Hellraiser-Moth...

Launch WEEK for “Hellraiser — Mother Jones: An Historical Novel” continues through September 29. It’s critical we do well this first week in order to get the attention of the Amazon.com algorithm which will boost the exposure of the book to more readers.

Mother, your people need to learn the lessons of your history. You wouldn’t believe the condition the country is in today. Everything you fought against has become so extreme today. We need an army of Mother Joneses now.

I have retold your story in a new and more meaningful way.
I’ve given you a new home base: the Facebook Hellraiser Club page.

I have networked with 100 groups on Facebook and Goodreads and the list is growing. I'm talking a lot about you and contemporary issues. Tens of thousands are learning of the lessons of your history and the significance of your rebirth.

Mother, please thank these people and their group leaders when you visit their dreams. Just like 100 years ago, they are calling on you to help them RAISE HELL.

You called your followers in the coal mines “your boys”.

I am your main “boy” now, Mother.
Jerry Ash, your faithful son.

Hellraiser—Mother Jones An Historical Novel by Jerry Ash

Jerry Ash | 9 comments F.T. wrote: "Jerry, I think many people believe they are powerless against what is happening economically in America. Reading about the history of labor unions could indeed give people an understanding that "th..."

Workers, both laborers and knowledge workers, have felt powerless, but the time has arrived when workers at Walmart and fast food chains — the worst exploiters of the working poor — ARE taking to the streets and I have gone with them. Hellraiser has become more than a book, it has become my mission.

message 11: by Jerry (last edited Sep 24, 2013 05:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jerry Ash | 9 comments Jennifer wrote: "F.T. wrote: "Jerry, I think many people believe they are powerless against what is happening economically in America. Reading about the history of labor unions could indeed give people an understan..."

Jennifer, when I retired I was running a group called AOK, the Association of Knowledgework. People who work with their brains, not their hands are as exploited as any other segment of workers.

The message of AOK was that these "thinkers" are often the primary resource of a company. They are THE asset that determines the bottom line. Yet, they show up on the balance sheet as a liability! A cost!

That tells you the PR song about people being the company's most important asset is BS. These same companies treat their knowledgeworkers like lumps of coal — to be mined, burned and tossed out like ashes.

When I get a chance, I'm going to talk more about knowledge workers, because they must be recruited into the growing protest against worker exploitation and economic inequality.

message 12: by Jerry (last edited Sep 24, 2013 05:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jerry Ash | 9 comments Jennifer wrote: "F.T. wrote: "Jerry, I think many people believe they are powerless against what is happening economically in America. Reading about the history of labor unions could indeed give people an understan..."

Well said Jennifer. And to all of you I say this has turned into a wonderful dialogue. I wish it had greater exposure. Wont you all come to my Mother Jones Hellraiser Club page? It's a page, not a group, and so you simply need to hit the "like" button to become connected. Better yet, hold the button down for a moment to connect to the newsfeed.