Book freaks discussion

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
This topic is about City of Bones
Monthly Book Read Talk > City of Bones

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Gorfo This is the thread for the September- November 2013 Monthly Book Read, City of Bones City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare ! Feel free to leave any comments, feelings, questions you have about the book (even if you've read it before!) Let the discussion flow!

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather | 1 comments half way through and I love it so far!

message 3: by Ana (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ana Mayoca (anatoots) | 4 comments I love the book, I don't like the movie. Jace' sarcastic remarks, the one thing that I loved the most in the book was not eminent in the movie.

AnaΣtaΣia | 1585 comments I read this one last summer and I liked it and I think that the other books of the series are equally good or in one case(the 3rd - City of Glass) better.
I haven't seen the film yet but it's a matter of time..

Ebony (poppyy) Hello! I read this book with buddies. The first time I read City of Bones, I HATED it! I could not even finish it. I thought it was superficial. Then I read it with friends on Goodreads and was able to actually finish it. However, it still is not one of my favorite books. I can't wait to see what other people thought of it as well.

slowpoke (slowpokereads) Its alright.
And now i can't help but hate it because of how much I dislike the author ;n;
Ugh.

message 7: by Soul, the Book Keeper (new) - added it

Soul (soulkeeper720) | 3876 comments Mod
:) it's so good to see you guys(E'b n Sierra) are looking at this book in same light.. readers true conscience i guess... :D

In the movie I wanna see the chariot(or car) scene as well as how are they gonna show various glyphs and stuff...

and most importantly the silent brothers, my guess is they would be something like dementors...

what do you guys think am i right so far..?

Gorfo I think the silent brothers will seem more like opus dei memebers in da vinci code, not quite so fantastical as dementors

message 9: by Soul, the Book Keeper (new) - added it

Well when I read their description i always thought of them(silent brothers) wearing with all these black slushy satin cloths (some with brown) in essence dementors with legs (but again they don't make noise)

I from what i recall of da vinci code I am fairly certain my impression with opus dei was monks with different path/agenda.. :)

AnaΣtaΣia | 1585 comments Opus Dei certainly had/has different agenda! :P
I imagined the Silent Brothers kind of like S did..but with scrawny and wrinkled faces!

message 11: by Ana (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ana Mayoca (anatoots) | 4 comments Gorfo wrote: "I think the silent brothers will seem more like opus dei memebers in da vinci code, not quite so fantastical as dementors"

Dementors are waaaaay cooler than the silent bros. hehe

message 12: by Soul, the Book Keeper (last edited Aug 29, 2013 03:45PM) (new) - added it

So any news on the movie? in the very least the trailer looks gooood, I loved the grandness they were able to put into...

But IMHO while reading though I couldn't bring myself to visualise the world end scenario n stuff >>??>>

check this out, http://youtu.be/GHlwRsl2uFk

*also off the topic but Have you guys seen Percy Jackson Sea of Monsters??

message 13: by Soul, the Book Keeper (new) - added it

Do you guys know that our own evil queen,
Cersei Lannister is playing the role of Shadow~Hunter :D

Gorfo Soul wrote: "Do you guys know that our own evil queen,
Cersei Lannister is playing the role of Shadow~Hunter :D"

YES! I almost died when I saw her in the previews!

Gorfo Ana wrote: "Gorfo wrote: "I think the silent brothers will seem more like opus dei memebers in da vinci code, not quite so fantastical as dementors"

Dementors are waaaaay cooler than the silent bros. hehe"

But of course! The silent bros don't have anything on them

AnaΣtaΣia | 1585 comments Hi guys!!
Well, I went to the cinema last night and saw the film....hmmmm...in my point of view it was (sadly to say) mediocre. A 5.5/10 at most! I liked the visual effects and the music score very much though...

message 17: by Soul, the Book Keeper (new) - added it

I second Anastasia there...

5.5 is just about perfect (+ .5 for visuals :D) If only they had asked Wolverine to cast as Clary's uncle... XD

@least that would have been fun to watch... X

message 18: by Soul, the Book Keeper (new) - added it

She watched him as he worked at the lock, watched the lean curve of his back, the swell of muscles under the short sleeves of his T-shirt. The moonlight washed the color out of his hair, turning it more silver than gold. The padlock hit the ground with a clang, a twisted lump of metal. Jace looked pleased with himself. "As usual," he said, "I'm amazingly good at that."

what does that sound like? I don't know maybe something that we don't let childrens read??

AnaΣtaΣia | 1585 comments I don't think that these books were meant to be for children S! Anyway, there are young adult books out there that aren't even meant to be for them either! so...

message 20: by Soul, the Book Keeper (new) - added it

Haha... Well what I meant when I wrote that line was, it's cheese.... Like those romance novels.. Well I guess that's what YA is all about these days.. Hummm... Man I sound old..

I am 25 btw (can I also mention my direct number??)

It's just I have started with watching how I met your mother.. I that just got me thinking...sorry... Just rambling.. :)

AnaΣtaΣia | 1585 comments Yeah, your oldness is devastating!!!
Get outta here!!! :P

...and they are cheesy by the way, it's what sells..

message 22: by Soul, the Book Keeper (last edited Sep 08, 2013 08:44AM) (new) - added it

Well.. I tried to be out of here.. but then again thought how you youngsters gonna manage without hearing voice of soul.. so back again :p

Does anyone else think Simon was shown toooo dorky in the movie>? or about the term "got Claried" :)

AnaΣtaΣia | 1585 comments I agree, he was too dorky but then again he was cuter than Jace who is supposed to be so handsome!!
p.s: Glad you're back S, even if you are as old as that!! :) :p

Sophie | 45 comments are we still reading this book?

message 25: by Soul, the Book Keeper (last edited Sep 09, 2013 07:10AM) (new) - added it

Yup, I mean most of us have read it already but then again it's good to visit as a Monthly read..

seems you've rated it with 5 stars.. :) you liked it..?

Gorfo How did everybody like the movie?

message 27: by Soul, the Book Keeper (new) - added it

I would say little above average.. But seemed like every minute of it was killing me.. It was just like movie of the host, no emotions + poor acting + bad direction + way too choppy timeliness... n

But okay nonetheless.. :) @least I understood(because of book), others were not so fortunate...

That's me what's you..?

Gorfo Soul wrote: "I would say little above average.. But seemed like every minute of it was killing me.. It was just like movie of the host, no emotions + poor acting + bad direction + way too choppy timeliness... n..."

Havent' even gotten a chance to see it I've been so busy! However, I did happen to see Blue Jasmine (the newest woody allen film) and it was truly amazing, I recommend it to anybody whose into films of that sort like Annie Hall & An Education :)

Heather Bowhay | 8 comments Enjoyed the book except for the ending. Completely agree with Soul about the movie - sub-par acting and choppy. While the actor who played Jace grew on me, I thought it odd that he was not a good-looking guy after that was so over-emphasized in the book. My 13 year old thought the actor who played Simon was a cutie, though. :) I'm awaiting the fourth book from the library - enjoyed it enough to read the whole series!

Kallie Hudson  (catcat) | 3 comments will i love the book but i haven't seen the movie yet but i cant wait tell i get the chance to