City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) City of Bones discussion

What the hell The Mortal Instruments fans,why arent you going to see the movie?????

Comments Showing 1-50 of 352 (352 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Michael This book series has an incredibly large fan base,everyone I talked to a year ago was saying how much they loved it.The movie just wrapped it's first week and only made 15 million so I ask what the hell??????I am disgusted with all the people that call thselves fans of the series you should be ashamed of yourselves.If you people don't get off your butts and go see it the film is going to flop and we won't get more films.So go see the movie already???????

Brittany Yeah really, people say they won't see it because it will ruin the book for them...Really? You people certainly do put too much stock in how much you think the movie should be exactly like the book. It's never happened and never will happen. But hey, if you don't want to see it that's fine, I am just saying it is sad how easily you can be deterred from something.

Michael I thought the movie was extremely true to the book

Christina I'm also wondering where all of the fans are. I was able to overlook the weekdays, but once the weekend arrived, I was sure that the fans were going to get out there and see the movie. It didn't happen, which is pretty sad because I thought that the movie was good. I mean, it didn't closely follow the book, but, as a standalone kind of thing, it was good.

Shayla I loved the movie! Sure, it wasn't exactly like the book, but when is a movie ever exactly like the book? I thought it was amazing. It's already my favorite movie and I want to pre-order it and I'll watch it everyday! haha...I like to fan-girl...:P But seriously the movie was great! Fans of the book should really go see it!

Michael Yes it's now my favorite movie also,I am absolutely disgusted at all the fans and I'm terrified we won't get a sequel because of them

message 7: by Christina (last edited Aug 25, 2013 07:55PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Christina I can only hope that the movie fares better overseas. I really want that sequel. I'll probably cry if it doesn't happen.

Michael As will i

Gabby WE'RE NOT GETTING A SEQUEL!??!?! WTH?? Where did you get that information??

message 10: by Michael (last edited Aug 25, 2013 08:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michael If The fans don't pull out and go to see the movie then no defiantly not,do you really think a studio would make a sequel if the movie only made its budget or less then it's budget?No I'm so extremely sad

Nurlely Do you honestly think that fans who haven't watched the movie are excited to watch it after reading more and more complaints about the movie?

My excitement seems to fade each day with all the complaints I read... :(

Eleanor Haven't got the time so far. That simple :)

Books By Ces AGREE go see the movie and form an opinion by yourself
ok here are my overall thoughts...

casting.... It was ok.... it is very difficult to make everyne happy and I really think Jamie lived up to Jace's character... yeah maybe the looks are not what we expected but he puled it off and acting was good, he did a good job and I like him... everyone else too.
It is really difficult for a movie based on a book to be totally the same... REMEMBER movies are BASED ON THE NOVEL not the novel itself.

All of us who ae avid readers and already read the series, expect more from the movie, but movies are intended for everyone so, the market is different. Visually it has to be different.

What I felt is that some things are left unexplained and others are explained too soon... I understood the sibling thing, to spoil that it is a lie but they don't know, it is for the audience.... you know.... we already have a gay character, and if they did not explain th sibling thing well.... it would have been bad....
the sequence of events... the story is on the book can be aas long as the author and editors want but a movie cant, so basically the most important things where there.

the essence of the story is in the movie and I thought it was cool, the CGI was excellent so.... the truth is we should support the movie ALL OF US readers becasue I really like my favorite stories to come to life even if they change them

examples: true blood was great and it was not the same as the books, also the vampire diaries, and lets remember twilight also was changed, especially the first movie.
vampire academy is comming and from the look of the teaser I am scared, but REALLY I give them a chance to all of them, becasue if we don't then we will not get the chance to see our book alive..

Michael Nurlely wrote: "Do you honestly think that fans who haven't watched the movie are excited to watch it after reading more and more complaints about the movie?

My excitement seems to fade each day with all the com..."

Ha! Your comment makes me laugh because the movie was extremely true to the book

Gabby Michael wrote: "Nurlely wrote: "Do you honestly think that fans who haven't watched the movie are excited to watch it after reading more and more complaints about the movie?

My excitement seems to fade each day ..."

She never said that it wasn't. She was just stating that others' didn't like the book. She didn't say why.

Brittany I personally liked the movie also, yeah there were things that were different or that they combined, but they did this so they could fit everything they could into the movie.

message 17: by Michael (last edited Aug 25, 2013 09:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michael She never said anything about not liking the book she said she'd heard complaints about the movie and I replied that that is ridiculous,the movie is extremely good,and faithful to the book

message 18: by Gabby (last edited Aug 25, 2013 09:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gabby That is also your opinion.

I really loved the book but I understand people don't really like it (and i'm okay with that, as long as they're not abusive and rude like some comments i've read)

But I will say this again, THE MOVIE WAS AMAZING

Michael Again she never said she didn't like the book

Gabby *facepalm* I meant movie every time I said book lol

Hailey loved the movie

Nurlely Michael wrote: "She never said anything about not liking the book she said she'd heard complaints about the movie and I replied that that is ridiculous,the movie is extremely good,and faithful to the book"

It's actually easy to access complaints about the movie here, just click on City of Bones (other topics) to find out what people think about the movie.
I haven't watched the movie. I said it before, if you care to read my comment properly. You surely don't need to laugh reading such comment. If you did, you just amused me with your overreacting... ;)

The movie is a different thing with the books. Jace in the movie is different with Jace in the books. I adore Jamie in Sweeney Todd, but he surely doesn't have Jace's gorgeous look.

Since you said that the movie is true to the books, please enlighten me with some complaints I read on different thread.

Is it true there was no scene of 'rat' Simon?
Was Raphael not recognised?
Was Valentine hair not golden coloured?
Alec was sent to Magnus home when injured?

I will be thankful with your answers. I hope they can raise my fading spirit in watching CoB.

message 23: by Nurlely (last edited Aug 25, 2013 10:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nurlely Gabby wrote: "But I will say this again, THE MOVIE WAS AMAZING"

Thanks sweetie! ^_^
Your words are good enough for me to watch the movie.
And I also need to wear my Mortal Instruments Tee I have bought last year... hahahaha

message 24: by Gabby (last edited Aug 25, 2013 10:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gabby Alec was not sent to Magnus' home.
And although there are a few things different...well movies can never be the same as books. I loved the HP movies, and they had differences from the books. Same with PJ. I also was not happy about The Perks of Being a wallflower casting, but when I watched the movie, it was still very good.
And Casandra Clare was extremely happy with the movie, and she wrote the books! Seriously, if an author likes the movie, there's a good chance that they don't really mind about the small things.
And just because Simon wasn't a rat, did not mean that it changed a whole heap, he still goes to hotel Dumort, the same things still happen. Once again, my opinion and not trying to be rude :)

message 25: by Michael (last edited Aug 25, 2013 10:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michael Simon did not turn into a rat though I feel that this is not important and they couldn't have afforded the extra time and budget.

They said they wanted to hold Raphael for further movies.

No but again I cannot see how this is extremely important.

No but Magnus came to the institute again they couldnt afford the extra time it would have taken,the movie already runs 2 hour and 10 minutes.

I think that none of these are relevant or necessity and I'm surprised you would ask about so tiny changes and even further surprised how this would turn you off the movie and label them as bad complaints

Gabby Nurlely wrote: "Gabby wrote: "But I will say this again, THE MOVIE WAS AMAZING"

Thanks sweetie! ^_^
Your words are good enough for me to watch the movie.
And I also need to wear my Mortal Instruments Tee I have b..."

OMG, where did you get the tee???? I've been looking for them for ages!!

Michael Gabby wrote: "*facepalm* I meant movie every time I said book lol"

Oh I see,yes lol

message 28: by Nurlely (last edited Aug 25, 2013 10:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nurlely @Gabby

Jace is known for his look. It is a disappointment that Jamie (despite of his talents) is not super handsome. Speaking of which, Jamie came second after Alex Pettyfer, who won the Facebook's poll for Jace Wayland. So to say that Jamie is perfect for Jace character is ridiculous. HP didn't have such problems, nor did TPoBW. When the star of famous series is recognised for being absolutely handsome, the movie should stick to that.

Cassie was happy with the movie? Will she actually say something against the movie? Seriously?

Donna I'm going this weekend.

Gabby Haha true. Authors don't usually say bad things about their books' movie :) And I think Alex turned the role down and that's why Jamie got it. I personally think Jamie's pretty hot.

message 31: by Michael (last edited Aug 25, 2013 10:50PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michael Harry potter is one of the most flawed book to movies series due to all the info they left out of 4-6,specifically the 5th and 6th movie got horrible reviews from fans yet it was a box office success

Nurlely Gabby wrote: "Haha true. Authors don't usually say bad things about their books' movie :) And I think Alex turned the role down and that's why Jamie got it. I personally think Jamie's pretty hot."

I still can not unite handsome with Jamie... hahahaha. I love Jamie in ST, but surely not for fixating upon his look... LOL.
Got the tee from our local publisher (Got both English and Indonesian version of the first trilogy). I bought it last year and has been waiting to wear it for long.

The theater will have it on screen by this Thursday.

Nurlely Tee

message 34: by Izzy (new)

Izzy Just my thoughts here.

While the movie is an adaptation of the books, the movie is supposed to stand on its own so that everyone in the audience would know what's going on. i.e. the ones who haven't read the books/don't know the books even exist.
Based on the reviews, that doesn't seem to be the case. Film lovers and critics don't know what to make of it because they feel it's very confusing.

That's the difference between TV/films and books. With books, you can heavily rely on exposition. It's not particularly a good idea but you can still include a heavy amount of exposition. In TV and films, you can't do that. It just doesn't work. Why? Because TV and films rely on action. It sounds like the movie is relying on the fans of the books for its success which is just terrible. Movie and TV addicts beat the number of book addicts by a mile, particularly in the United States.

I've not read the books or even know much on what it's about but just watching the trailer is putting me off. I've no clue what it's about. It's just looks like a light show and I'm not interested in that.
With the Harry Potter franchise, they made the movies so that everyone understood what was going on and follow the story, even to those who haven't read the books.

Michael, it sounds like you should tone it down a bit. You're a bit scary and off-putting when you go into rabid fanboy mode.

Reyhaneh I usually wait the second or third week to see any movie I want to see because then it's less crowded.

message 36: by Addee (last edited Aug 26, 2013 04:12AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Addee If it was cast better I would go see it, but I think the cast is a laughable joke, not going to waste my money on rubbish. Love the books!

message 37: by Ly (last edited Aug 26, 2013 05:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ly Do I was actually hesitant to watch the movie since one of my other favorite book turned into a total disaster as a movie, and it was a total best-seller too, but i still went to the cinema and checked out this one anyway, and it was FREAKIN AWESOME, i would've totally regretted not going, the movie made the characters ALIVE, like i only started reading "The Mortal Instruments" last week and finished the first book right before the movie came out, and even though i enjoyed it, i wasn't totally 'obsessed' yet, but after seeing the movie,i simply cant stop thinking about "The Mortal Instrument", i'm absolutely obsessed and at my age, the obsession gets REALLY BAD. ANW people who are hesitating, get off your butts and head to the cinema cause' the movie is ABSOLUTELY AWESOME. And btw eventhough most fans say Jamie Campbell Bower's looks doesn't match Jace, i personally think he's fine, and he portrayed Jace pretty amazingly, especially that self-satisfying, sadistic personal trait of Jace that we ALL love, i don't think i could imagine Alex Pettyfer acting like that. :) P.S: Another thing i LUV from the movie: The kissing scene was THE BEST SCENE EVERRRR!!!!

Michael Izzy wrote: "Just my thoughts here.

While the movie is an adaptation of the books, the movie is supposed to stand on its own so that everyone in the audience would know what's going on. i.e. the ones who have..."

The reason for that is I'm terrified we won't be getting another movie,and I though movie did very well of explaining eeverything

Michael Smeghead wrote: "If it was cast better I would go see it, but I think the cast is a laughable joke, not going to waste my money on rubbish. Love the books!"

Then it will be your fault they don't make a second one,it's not rubbish it's the best film of the year in my opinion

Delia I saw the movie on the second day. I won't get into huge details here since I put my total review on my blog but I thought it was Ok. As a standalone I liked it but the parts that were changed from the book felt too important to me to just look beyond. I totally understand that movies are geared towards a different audience. There fore they have to change some things. I just didn't agree with those changes personally. My son loved the fighting scenes and the demons were extremely well created. I will of course go see the next one, if it makes it that far, but this was not my favorite book to movie adaptation. I think they did a much better job with The Hunger Games.

Jennifer Davis I saw the movie. I was hesitant at first because I wasn't sure about the guy they cast as Jace. However, since I loved the books, I went. AND LOVED IT!!!! The acting was good and the movie was pretty true to the book. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

Hannah It's about more than just TMI too, for me anyway. It's about showing these critics who don't give YA a chance and write it off as a Twilight wannabe that there are serious and engaging stories to be told in the YA genre.

Critics and audiences are just going to keep saying how worthless the genre is if more movies don't do well. Look at The Host or Beautiful Creatures. I want CoB and this whole new batch of YA adaptations to do well so we can show people that we're not going to go away and that there are so many solid stories in YA and that they shouldn't write it off.

So if you want them to keep making movies, if you want them to take YA seriously then you need to support the movies. That's all I'm saying. I saw CoB twice opening week(end) and I plan to go again sometime this week. It's important not just because we won't get future movies of this series but of the genre as a whole.

message 43: by Christina (new) - added it

Christina It's late in the movie season and the marketing wasn't as strong as that for "the Butler." It could also have to do with paycheck times (end of the month).

I went to see it and loved it so it is concerning in terms of CoA and TID. But don't despair yet. DVD and Bluray sales are as important as ticket sales. The Bourne Identity was a flop until it took off on DVD and now it's a franchise that has survived past Matt Damon. And word-of-mouth is a big deal. Spread the word!

Hannah I actually just read an article, TMI Source posted it, about how it actually did pretty well considering that it came out at a horrible time when tons of kids are going back to school. And in the middle of the week. It was #3 at the box office and apparently this one of the worst weeks for movies in general. So it didn't do amazingly well, but it didn't bomb either.

And the execs at Constantin don't seem too concerned about it, they weren't expecting it to be the next Hunger Games in terms of revenue. But once you factor in DVD sales, international box office, merchandising and the soundtrack, I think it'll be fine. It's safe to say we'll at least get City of Ashes, they're trying to build a brand here, City of Bones was only the first step.

But keep seeing the movie as many times as you can while it's in theaters. Buy the DVD, buy the merchandise, buy the soundtrack, spread the word, it all helps.

message 45: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex I, like, JUST finished the book. And I just saw the commercial... IT LOOKS AWESOME!! And I'd love to go, but, um, hasn't anyone thought of the fact that people live lives other than just reading and seeing their movie adaptions? And people also have little siblings who have to come with them for certain reasons but want to read the book and don't want it spoiled (not like they haven't had half of the other books they want spoiled anyways, but still).

Bettina I loved the books, but the movie Sucked.

The movie does not stand alone very well. If you did not read the books, it left too many things that had to be explained by a TMI fan.

I'm sorry but it was rushed. There were fare too many important things left out or Added. Somewhere in the movie plot it lost a lot of what had made it extremely well written series, and turn it into a reject HP,HG and dare I say Twilight movie.

This will not be like The Bourne Identity DVD....Because this movie was OKAY to watch, like on cable when you're bored and it was on so, why not. Otherwise, It just plain Sucked.

message 47: by Michael (last edited Aug 26, 2013 01:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michael Bettina wrote: "I loved the books, but the movie Sucked.

The movie does not stand alone very well. If you did not read the books, it left too many things that had to be explained by a TMI fan.

I'm sorry but it w..."

It didn't suck,and if you think it did well that's your opinion so don't you dare go speaking for everyone and calling it a fact ,the movie was extremely true to the book and hardly left any information out or anything out for that matter

Becca Rose I liked the movie and i like the cast except for Isabelle. I pictured Megan Fox for Isabelle.

Bettina Michael wrote: "Bettina wrote: "I loved the books, but the movie Sucked.

I'..."

Umm WOW!!...Of course it's MY opinion. It is also your OPINION that it was a standalone GREAT movie.

I said this because I watched the movie with a group of people who had never read the books and all I got from them were questions. Some of the questions they asked, I could not even answer because the plot strayed so far from the storyline, and that sir is a FACT.

So, calm down.

Michael It is not a fact that the movie strayed far from the book that is your opinion also.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8