Literary Horror discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 2: by Randolph, Randy (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 164 comments Tartarus just released a new Reggie Oliver collection today that looks mighty nice. Interestingly they released the e-book at the same time. http://tartaruspress.com/flowersofthe...

message 3: by Karl (new)

Karl Tartarus has been publishing a series of books (hardcovers) called "Faunus, The Journal of the Friends of Arthur Machen" Does anyone have a source for these ? I currently own about 8 issues, and I believe they are up to 23 or 24.

message 4: by Randolph, Randy (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 164 comments The Journal is published for and by The Friends of Arthur Machen somewhere in the UK. The link is here:

http://www.arthurmachen.org.uk/

I believe it pretty much sells out but contact them for back issues.

message 5: by Karl (new)

Karl Thank you both for the info. I will follow up.

message 6: by Randolph, Randy (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 164 comments I just received the new Reggie Oliver from Tartarus today.

message 7: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Uminsky (benjaminu) | 357 comments Oh man.. that is awesome to hear. I am waiting as well for this one.

message 8: by Karl (new)

Karl Randolph wrote: "I just received the new Reggie Oliver from Tartarus today."

WOW - Congrats, the book was published on the 4th today is the 8th. you must have one heck of a source for these from the U.K. I am still holing my breath for its arrival !!!

message 9: by James (new)

James Everington | 55 comments Just finished the Tartarus anthology Dark World. Anyone else read it? Maybe I just expect too much from Tartarus, but I was a little underwhelmed. A couple of nice tales, but some distinctly average ones too.

message 10: by Randolph, Randy (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 164 comments I thought is was just average.

message 11: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Uminsky (benjaminu) | 357 comments I have heard from a few folks that it was pretty average. I haven't purchased it yet.

message 12: by Randolph, Randy (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 164 comments Nice new Wormwood #21 coming up:

http://tartaruspress.com/wormwood21.htm

message 13: by Randolph, Randy (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 164 comments I see that Strange Tales IV is up on the Tartarus website, but the ISBN is incorrect, so I couldn't put it up on gr. Another Rhys Hughes title that is op has been released as a Kindle book as well. It also appears that Tartarus may not be releasing anything in ePub (Nook) format anymore as the evil Amazon takes over the world. You can always buy the Kindle book and convert it to ePub with Calibre.

message 14: by Randolph, Randy (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 164 comments I ordered Strange Tales Volume IV from Tartarus today. Hopefully I'll remember ordering it. I once ordered one of the Aickman's from Tartarus only to have the same book arrive from Ziesing's two days later!

message 15: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Uminsky (benjaminu) | 357 comments I am tempted, but have never read any of the Tart Press anthologies before. I'm sure they are all excellent.

message 16: by Randolph, Randy (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 164 comments Benjamin wrote: "I am tempted, but have never read any of the Tart Press anthologies before. I'm sure they are all excellent."

They are quite varied in content. They range from the Aickmanesque to one of the most disturbing and gruesome stories I have ever read in Strange Tales, Volume II. I actually have not been able to go back and reread it. I think it was the last story in the volume. I remember actually being really upset and wishing I had not read it and this never happens to me.

Ideas and stories are like viruses to a certain extent. Once you "catch" them they stay in your body/brain and never go away. You cannot unthink them or rid your body completely of the virus like you can with most bacteria. That idea will always be a part of your makeup whether you like it or are repulsed by it. This I suppose is what is meant by robbing one's innocence.

message 17: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Uminsky (benjaminu) | 357 comments Whoa... who was the author of that story, Randolph?

message 18: by Randolph, Randy (last edited Jan 22, 2014 10:26PM) (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 164 comments Sejanus' Daughter by Hilbourne Carlone.

message 19: by Karl (new)

Karl Randolph wrote: "Sejanus' Daughter by Hilbourne Car lone."

Don Tumasonis (under the pseudonym Hilbourne Carlone)

message 20: by Randolph, Randy (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 164 comments Karl wrote: "Randolph wrote: "Sejanus' Daughter by Hilbourne Car lone."

Don Tumasonis (under the pseudonym Hilbourne Carlone)"

I'm not familiar with either name.

message 21: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Uminsky (benjaminu) | 357 comments Karl wrote: "Randolph wrote: "Sejanus' Daughter by Hilbourne Car lone."

Don Tumasonis (under the pseudonym Hilbourne Carlone)"

I have read Don Tumasonis before in Shadows and Tall Trees. I remember enjoying it, but not being particularly struck by anything uncomfortably bizarre. Now I really want to read this story... ; )

message 22: by James (new)

James Everington | 55 comments Yes, me too!

The most 'memorable' story in that kind of sick way that I've read recently is 'Arselicker' by Stephen Volk.

message 23: by Randolph, Randy (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 164 comments Rupetta by Nike Sulway won the 2013 James Tiptree Jr. award.

http://tiptree.org/

message 24: by Karl (new)

Karl Just wanted to insure everyone interested was aware of " A Guide to Supernatural Fiction" on the Tartarus site

http://tartaruspress.com/database.htm

message 25: by Randolph, Randy (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 164 comments I can't believe I forgot about this resource. Thanks Karl.

message 26: by Jordan (new)

Jordan West | 17 comments That's a wonderful resource, and should really be perused by every serious fan of weird fiction; I've lost count of the books I've discovered thanks to it.

message 27: by Neil (new)

Neil B (neil77) I have just noticed on the Tartarus website that they are publishing Secret Europe by Mark Valentine & John Howard. Great to see this highly recommended and previously hard to obtain book reprinted:

http://www.tartaruspress.com/secreteu...

message 28: by Karl (new)

Karl Neil77 wrote: "I have just noticed on the Tartarus website that they are publishing Secret Europe by Mark Valentine & John Howard. Great to see this highly recommended and previously hard to obtain book reprinted..."

Thank you Neil for the heads up , I just ordered my copy

message 29: by Valancourt Books (new)

Valancourt Books (valancourt_books) That looks like a nice edition! I'll have to add it to my list.

message 30: by Karl (new)

Karl Valancourt Books wrote: "That looks like a nice edition! I'll have to add it to my list."

It states on the web site that there are 300 copies available, they will most likely go quickly as both authors are excellent. It also states that there is an additional story added to this edition. Tartarus does publish some beautiful books

message 31: by Randolph, Randy (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 164 comments Tartarus Press has recently completely redesigned their website. While I find it much more user friendly, I'm not sure about the aesthetics yet. The look does better reflect their "brand" if you will. Same web address as before.

message 32: by Randolph, Randy (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 164 comments The Bitterwood Bible and Other Recountings by Angela Slatter won the World Fantasy Award for short story collection. R.B. Russell and Rosalie Parker won the WFA for "Non-Professional," whatever that means. I'm not a big fan of awards but sometimes they get things right.

message 33: by Canavan (new)

Canavan Mark Valentine has an offering out from Tartarus Press entitled Haunted By Books that looks quite promising. If you’re only familiar with Valentine through his supernatural fiction, you may not be aware of the fact that he’s a rather passionate bibliophile. Haunted is a collection of essays that deal with book collecting, forgotten authors, etc. Thus far, I’ve only had a chance to skim a few of the pieces, but it looks fascinating. The book was released by the publisher on 3 December and — surprisingly for a nonfiction work — the limited edition hardback is already out of print, but epub and mobi versions are available. The Tartarus link is here. Valentine blogs about the book on the Wormwoodiana site here.

message 34: by Karl (last edited Dec 18, 2015 11:51AM) (new)

Karl Canavan wrote: "Mark Valentine has an offering out from Tartarus Press entitled Haunted By Books that looks quite promising. If you’re only familiar with Valentine through his supern..."

Nice comments Canavan,

message 35: by Paul (new)

Paul | 75 comments This just came out, with no fanfare whatsoever:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...
http://www.tartaruspress.com/mcqueen-...
Completely unknown author but, given their trademark high standards, it is very much possible that they've made another discovery.

message 36: by Randolph, Randy (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 164 comments I ordered it as soon as I got the email. I have never known Tartarus to publish a bad contemporary author and many of them were largely unknown.

message 37: by Marie-Therese (new)

Marie-Therese (mariethrse) | 550 comments I'll be purchasing the ebook for certain.

message 38: by Randolph, Randy (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 164 comments I see a new Wormwood is out.

message 39: by Ronald (new)

Ronald (rpdwyer) | 557 comments Inner Europe by John Howard and Mark Valentine now available from Tartarus Press:

http://www.tartaruspress.com/howard--...

message 40: by Randolph, Randy (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 164 comments It appears that Tartarus is going to make much of its back catalog available as print on demand paperbacks.

message 41: by Benjamin (last edited Sep 10, 2018 01:27PM) (new)

Benjamin Uminsky (benjaminu) | 357 comments I noticed that too... I guess I am a bit surprised that there is a real demand for TP... given that Tart has also been making their older out of print HB's available as an e-book. I guess I just don't really see the point of TP if the HB or e-book exists. TP's are so easily damaged and susceptible to decay. I have nearly purged (donated to Good will) the overwhelming majority of my TP's in my library to make space for HB's.
*shrugs* to each his own

message 42: by Ronald (last edited Aug 20, 2019 06:22PM) (new)

Ronald (rpdwyer) | 557 comments The novel The Way Things End by Charles David now available from Tartarus Press:

http://tartaruspress.com/david-the-wa...

message 43: by Ronald (new)

Ronald (rpdwyer) | 557 comments News from Tartarus Press:

We are delighted to announce the publication, on the 11th November, of Petals and Violins: Fifteen Unsettling Tales by D.P. Watt. This is a terrific collection of contemporary weird stories by a very fine author. All copies will be signed by the author.

Rhys Hughes' classic first collection for Tartarus Press, Worming the Harpy and Other Bitter Pills, is back in print as a paperback.

message 44: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Uminsky (benjaminu) | 357 comments I think this is the first collection that Watt has published with Tartarus. I'm definitely picking it up.

message 45: by Randolph, Randy (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 164 comments Does anyone know if something has happened to Tartarus Press? I can’t seem to get to the .com website.

message 46: by mark (new)

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 81 comments Probably just temporary, I was on their site just last night.

message 47: by Bill (new)

Bill Hsu (billhsu) | 1340 comments It's up as of a minute ago. Welcome back, Randolph!

message 48: by Randolph, Randy (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 164 comments Must be blocked on my browsers for some reason. I can’t get it with any browser on my iPad.

message 49: by Ronald (new)

Ronald (rpdwyer) | 557 comments This is from a recent email from Tartarus Press:

Call for Submissions – Short Stories

It’s Tartarus Press’s thirtieth year in 2020, and we are celebrating by publishing a volume of contemporary literary strange tales. If you would like to be considered for inclusion, then please send one story only to rosalieparker@btinternet.com.
Your submission should be entirely new, unpublished elsewhere, c. 2,000 – 6,000 words, and on the literary strange/horror/supernatural spectrum. Payment will be by a share in profits. Deadline: 10th April 2020. We look forward to hearing from you!

message 50: by Ronald (new)

Ronald (rpdwyer) | 557 comments Recent email from Tartarus Press:

We have now reprinted as paperbacks, the two very well received collections of short stories by Jake Wyckoff:

Black Horse and Other Strange Stories
'...these tales are the work of a writer skilled at navigating the twists and turns of his unconventional horror themes.' Publishers Weekly

and

The Hidden Back Room
'His stories abound with surprises that even diehard readers of weird fiction are not likely to anticipate." Publishers Weekly

« previous 1