Reading with Style discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
33 views
Archives > Fall 2013 10.5 - In honor of Labor Day

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz M (last edited Aug 28, 2013 11:43AM) (new)

Liz M 10.5 - In honor of Labor Day, read a book written by an author whose surname is a job or profession on the linked list OR a book that has a job or profession in the title.


message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather (sarielswish) | 711 comments If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him: The Pilgrimage Of Psychotherapy Patients

for 10.5, it says surname is a job or profession. my question is this - does it have to be spelled correctly to count? the book i'm considering the above by Sheldon Kopp. would that work or do i need to look for something else?


message 3: by Liz M (last edited Aug 29, 2013 08:19AM) (new)

Liz M Heather wrote: "If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him: The Pilgrimage Of Psychotherapy Patients

for 10.5, it says surname is a job or profession. my question is this - does it have to be spelled correctly ..."


If you are asking about Kopp, then it does not work. The author's surname must be on the linked list. I will correct the task language to reflect this.


message 4: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2304 comments Does a book with a name in the title that is a profession (like Harry Potter) work?


message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather (sarielswish) | 711 comments Liz M wrote: "Heather wrote: "If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him: The Pilgrimage Of Psychotherapy Patients

for 10.5, it says surname is a job or profession. my question is this - does it have to be sp..."


another question then - can it be a *variant* on a name on the list? specifically, Stewart is on the list and under the Stewart entry, Stuart is shown as the French spelling. is Stuart acceptable then?


message 6: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (xallroyx21) | 198 comments I am wondering if The Love-Artist would be acceptable for this task?


message 7: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4228 comments Heather wrote: "Liz M wrote: "Heather wrote: "If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him: The Pilgrimage Of Psychotherapy Patients

for 10.5, it says surname is a job or profession. my question is this - does it..."


There is also Taylor for Tailor or Clarke for Clark .


message 8: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Heather wrote: "Liz M wrote: "Heather wrote: "If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him: The Pilgrimage Of Psychotherapy Patients

for 10.5, it says surname is a job or profession. my question is this - does it..."


Only the exact surnames on the linked list are acceptable for the author's last name.


message 9: by Liz M (last edited Aug 29, 2013 11:42AM) (new)

Liz M Coralie wrote: "Does a book with a name in the title that is a profession (like Harry Potter) work?"

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone works
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows does not work.

The profession in the title must refer to a profession.

Tanya wrote: "I am wondering if The Love-Artist would be acceptable for this task?"

I'll accept this.

Rebekah wrote: "There is also Taylor for Tailor or Clarke for Clark ..."

Clark and Taylor are on the linked list & work as author surnames for this task. Clarke and Tailor are not on the list and do not work as author surnames for this task.


message 10: by Kathleen (itpdx) (new)

Kathleen (itpdx) (itpdx) | 1352 comments I am confused. The list has some names with "(surname)" after them and some without. For instance would Patel (which doesn't have surname after it) work?


message 11: by Liz M (last edited Aug 29, 2013 03:02PM) (new)

Liz M itpdx wrote: "I am confused. The list has some names with "(surname)" after them and some without. For instance would Patel (which doesn't have surname after it) work?"

All the names on the linked list of Occupational Surnames qualify as author surnames for this task, regardless of whether or not they are identified as surnames.


(There is only one wiki page for "patel" so the page does not need to be distinguished the way Bishop (Catholic Church), Bishop (Latter Day Saints), Bishop (Orthodox Church), ...... Bishop (surname) needs to be distinguished.)


message 12: by Kathleen (itpdx) (new)

Kathleen (itpdx) (itpdx) | 1352 comments Liz M wrote:
All the names on the link..."

Aha! Thanks


message 13: by Theresa~OctoberLace (last edited Sep 07, 2013 05:09AM) (new)

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 518 comments Please confirm that Princess would qualify as a job or profession when it appears in the title. Prince is on the linked list of surnames, so I'm assuming Princess qualifies as a profession as well.

Also, please explain why Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows would not work. Potter is defined as "one who makes pottery" so I would think that any book with Potter in the title would qualify. Potter is also included in the linked list of surnames.


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11851 comments Theresa~OctoberLace wrote: "Please confirm that Princess would qualify as a job or profession when it appears in the title. Prince is on the linked list of surnames, so I'm assuming Princess qualifies as a profession as well..."

We're going to confine ourselves to the names on the linked list, so for this task Princess does not qualify. The scorekeepers have a lot to keep track of, and making exceptions complicates things.

As Liz said above in Post #9, the profession in the title needs to refer to the profession and, as the potter in Harry Potter refers to his name and not his profession, it doesn't work.


message 15: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1545 comments So regarding jobs in titles, I am pretty sure The Jester works but what about My Sister's Keeper (keeper) or Silent Partner (partner)?


Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 518 comments Sorry, but I'm totally confused about this challenge! The linked list of surnames seems quite defective, and contains many names that I cannot identify as indicative of a job or profession. For example, I've copied the linked info on the acceptable Kessler on the list. No where can I find a reference to a job or profession. It also seems gender-biased, including King but not Queen, Prince but not Princess, etc. I thought this was supposed to be fun :(

Kessler


From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


Jump to: navigation, search


Kessler or Keßler (in German) may refer to:
Kessler (automobile), an American automobile made 1921–1922
Kessler (name), people named Kessler
Kessler (TV series), a British television series from 1981
Kessler Syndrome, a scenario, proposed by NASA consultant Donald J. Kessler, involving space debris
Kessler Whiskey, an American brand of blended whiskey


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11851 comments The list is for surnames of authors. If you have an author whose name is Princess, then it doesn't work for this task. If Princess appears in the title and refers to an occupation (ex. The Girl Who Became a Princess), then it is perfectly acceptable.


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11851 comments Kessler is an occupational name that means coppersmith.


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11851 comments Bea wrote: "So regarding jobs in titles, I am pretty sure The Jester works but what about My Sister's Keeper (keeper) or Silent Partner (partner)?"

My Sister's Keeper definitely works. Partner is more of a relationship rather than an occupation, so it doesn't work.


message 20: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1545 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Bea wrote: "So regarding jobs in titles, I am pretty sure The Jester works but what about My Sister's Keeper (keeper) or Silent Partner (partner)?"

My Sister's Keeper definitely works. Partner is ..."


Thanks, Elizabeth. I think I am beginning to get the hang of this task.


Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 518 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "The list is for surnames of authors. If you have an author whose name is Princess, then it doesn't work for this task. If Princess appears in the title and refers to an occupation (ex. The Girl Who..."

More confusion! Referring to your post #14:

I had asked, "Please confirm that Princess would qualify as a job or profession when it appears in the title. Prince is on the linked list of surnames, so I'm assuming Princess qualifies as a profession as well."

And you replied, "We're going to confine ourselves to the names on the linked list, so for this task Princess does not qualify. The scorekeepers have a lot to keep track of, and making exceptions complicates things."

Am I now to understand that PRINCESS in the title of the book I read,
The White Princess, is now acceptable?


message 22: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4456 comments Theresa~OctoberLace wrote: "Sorry, but I'm totally confused about this challenge! The linked list of surnames seems quite defective, and contains many names that I cannot identify as indicative of a job or profession. For ex..."

An important thing about this challenge, Theresa,is that in order to be able to manage an intricate and involved challenge like this one with volunteer moderators giving a lot of their time, Elizabeth's brother created a special computerized database that is used to help keep everything on track. Making exceptions to given lists would make that really difficult. The moderators could probably explain this more if you are interested.

That doesn't mean we don't ask questions and make requests of the monitors. I've been a pain in their necks about lexiles and YA books because as a high school librarian I need to fit YA books into the challenge along with diversifying my reading which is the actual stated goal of this particular challenge. I think you will love it and will have lots of fun, because it is a different and more intricate challenge than most!

Glad to have you reading with us!


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11851 comments Theresa~OctoberLace wrote: "m I now to understand that PRINCESS in the title of the book I read,
The White Princess, is now acceptable? "


I'm very sorry for the confusion. I misread your post. Yes, that book is more than acceptable for this task.


message 24: by Rosemary (last edited Sep 07, 2013 10:36AM) (new)

Rosemary | 2824 comments So does this mean that something like The Detective's Daughter would fit the title part of the task even though "detective" is not on the list? The list only applies if you're going for an author's surname?


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11851 comments Rosemary wrote: "So does this mean that something like The Detective's Daughter would fit the title part of the task even though "detective" is not on the list? The list only applies if you're going for an author's..."

Correct - and you're good to go on that one.


message 26: by Karen Michele (last edited Sep 07, 2013 12:38PM) (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4456 comments I'm excited! I was thinking it had to be the jobs on the list in the title. Does this means that things like storyteller, thief, spy and guide would qualify here or are those too general?


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11851 comments Karen GHHS wrote: "I'm excited! I was thinking it had to be the jobs on the list in the title. Does this means that things like storyteller, thief, spy and guide would qualify here or are those too general?"

Keep being excited! Yes they qualify.

The list is jobs/professions that are also names and do not comprise the totality of jobs/professions.


message 28: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 2824 comments What if the profession is in the subtitle: Out In The Army: My Life As A Gay Soldier (soldier)


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11851 comments Subtitles count!


message 30: by Joanna (new)


message 31: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 255 comments This might be stretching it a bit far, but would Squire by Tamora Pierce count for the title option?


message 32: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 5993 comments Joanna wrote: "What about gangster? The Gangster We Are All Looking For"

Sorry, Joanna, gangster is a reference to an association, not a profession.


message 33: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 5993 comments Isabell wrote: "This might be stretching it a bit far, but would Squire by Tamora Pierce count for the title option?"

Isabell, sorry, it is a stretch, squire is a title, like mister, not a profession.


message 34: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 255 comments Kate S wrote: "Isabell wrote: "This might be stretching it a bit far, but would Squire by Tamora Pierce count for the title option?"

Isabell, sorry, it is a stretch, squire is a title, like mister, not a profess..."


No problem; I have found my square peg then.


message 35: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 255 comments Just double checking that those work (they should according to some of the above posts):

The Dream Thieves (thief) and
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (artist)


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11851 comments Isabell wrote: "Just double checking that those work (they should according to some of the above posts):

The Dream Thieves (thief) and
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (artist)"


Yes, those work!


message 37: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 1364 comments I think this might be a stretch, but what about

The Vagabond


back to top
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.