10B Reads discussion

Catcher in the Rye > Opinions on the 'Salinger' film?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dominic (new)

Dominic Nguyen | 21 comments I'm not sure of how many of you guys know this, but a new film documenting the life of J.D. Salinger is coming out early next month. Especially since the majority of the class has only just finished the book, I think it would be an interesting film for everyone, where we can see the influences that Salinger had which led him to write the novel.
The trailer is on youtube, and I would highly suggest that you all check it out.
What are your opinions of the trailer?

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert Nguyen | 9 comments Who doesnt know about that m8

message 3: by Dominic (new)

Dominic Nguyen | 21 comments http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dJAHLgdfqmA

Here is a link for those who haven't seen it.

message 4: by Gishan (new)

Gishan (gishy) | 3 comments It looks like an action movie however they are advertising to be documenting his life. Although there will probably be a lot of info to viewers, I fear there will be too many dramatic inclusions and taking away from the main contention of the movie.

message 5: by Aksaran (new)

Aksaran | 15 comments I think it would be pretty interesting, maybe comparing holden caulfield with his creator, j.d salinger.

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Nguyen | 9 comments It's not even an action movie... Just probably answering and bringing up more questions about his story. You know his name not his story. Haters.

message 7: by Dominic (new)

Dominic Nguyen | 21 comments Although I do agree with you in some respect, I don't think that it will get to that point where no information will be passed across to the viewers. Adding a suspense and dramatic sense to it, in my opinion, will make it more engaging to watch, rather than a simple documentary.

message 8: by Robert (new)

Robert Nguyen | 9 comments And aksaran he wrote more books so not just catcher in the rye would be brought up

message 9: by Aksaran (new)

Aksaran | 15 comments Yeah, but I heard that Salinger was a recluse and eccentric, which sounds quite similar to holden's charcater.

message 10: by Dominic (new)

Dominic Nguyen | 21 comments *rather than a simple documentary.

And Robert, he gained nearly all of his popularity writing 'The Catcher in the Rye' and so this documentary is highly likely to be concentrating on the influences which led him to write this book.

message 11: by Robert (new)

Robert Nguyen | 9 comments Wrong, holden is not a recluse nor is he eccentric

message 12: by Robert (new)

Robert Nguyen | 9 comments No but as the trailer said he wrote daily, more works are unpublished

message 13: by Robert (new)

Robert Nguyen | 9 comments Yeah it is, the war is the main reason which led him to writing something which so many people could relate to, the book is only one part of it though, other than how it led up to him writing about it i think there is much more emphasis on the later years- his disappearance after he reached his peak with his publication of the catcher

message 14: by Dominic (new)

Dominic Nguyen | 21 comments Robert wrote: "Yeah it is, the war is the main reason which led him to writing something which so many people could relate to, the book is only one part of it though, other than how it led up to him writing about..."

I definitely agree with you here, Salinger, although he was a pacifist, saw a lot of the violence of the war that he was a part of. As you said, from the trailer, the movie seems like it will focus more on the later years, and after his rise in popularity with the publication and release of "The Catcher in the Rye".